COAX CONNECTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMHODNETT

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to be assured that the coax connections you have just soldered are correctly soldered? I am wondering because I do not trust myself cutting coax and then soldering it properly. I am suing Belden 9913 which is not easy to work with anyway. Just trying to make sure I am getting all the signal I should out of this scanner beam.

LarrySC

First of all it sound like you should be using "F" connectors for the beam but may actually be using PL connectors. You really need to give more detail. I have up several antennas, BUT, I only use RG-6 and "F" connectors that I can CRIMP rather than SOLDER. If an antenna uses a PL connector I insert a PL to "F" adp then use RG-6. Then use a TWIST-ON RG-6 for the scanner. Final word. I dont solder anything. Post more info and get more answers.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
9913 is pretty nice coax until it get moisture inside of it then it is shot. So I would be careful in installing the coax connectors especially if the connection to the antenna is outdoors. If that is the case. Wrap it and seal it with coax seal or some of the other waterproofing methods that are on the market.

As for connectors. The are not hard to solder on. Just make sure you purchase the right connector for the 9913 or whatever coax you may be using. I am not totally sure, but I believe they make f connectors that go directly onto 9913. I am positive though. I do know that they make bnc connectors that go on 9913.

As for the previous post, your 9913 coax is better than rg 6. I would not crimp on any type of connector onto coax unless the connector is specifically rate for compression. And there are in fact many types that are, but not for 9913. Aslo stay away from adapters as much as you can. Sure sometimes you only have the choice to adapt like in your case you might have to adapt to an F if the beam antenna you have requires and f connector. Otherwise stay away from them.

Good luck, the soldering and stripping is really not that hard at all. After you are done, just take a volt/ohm meter and measure your resistance betweent the center pin in your connector and the ground and make sure you don't have a short. You should have infinite resistance there.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.