Coax decision - wilson vs times

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmscanfan

Premium Subscriber
Greetings.

Just about to add my second antenna (first has 75' of Times LMR400, with N connector on one end and a bnc on the other). Seems to work very well, but wasn't cheap (about $150 with shipping and tax).

Next cable needs to be 100', and needs an N connector on one end, and a BNC on the other as well.

My choices are to order Genuine Times LMR400, from scannermaster, or get Wilson cable from amazon.

On Amazon I can buy this:
Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics 100-Foot WILSON400 Ultra Low Loss Coax Cable with N Male Connectors: Cell Phones & Accessories

which is 100' of Wilson LMR400, with NConnectors on both ends, and then I would need a N->BNC Male adapter.

My question is this, given the Times is going to cost $174 (cheapest shipping is $26 PLUS since I am in Mass I need to pay sales tax) - but I get the 'best' cable, with no extra connectors.

If I go the Wilson route, I pay $82.99 for the cable, shipping is free, no sales tax - but then add in about $10 for a N->BNC adapter - so about $92 total.

On the surface it seems like the amazon route is a much, much better deal, but my questions are a) how much am I going to notice that extra adapter? (my guess is I won't) and b) is the wilson LMR400 equal in quality to Times Cable? Any extra loss or durability to worry about?

If it was 10-20% difference in price, I'd go with the Times route no question, but at almost 2X the cost, I am not sure if it is worth it or not? Neither one is going to break the bank, but I prefer not to waste money....

Lastly, cable/antenna, I already have will primarily be used in the 800MHZ band (scanning only), the new cable will be used on an antenna that will primarily be used for everything under 800Mhz (also just for scanning) - no transmitting.

I've read lots of posts (here and elsewhere) warning people to stay away from the 'cheap/imitation lmr 400', problem is, other than times brand, I don't know which ones are considered 'cheap' and to be avoided.

Opinions?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
a. You will not likely notice the extra adapter. Typically they have about 0.1dB of loss, and you won't be able to notice that.

b. I would be wary of "Wilson" brand coax, other than their CB antennas and cellular boosters/amps, I've never seen that they produce coaxial cable. In fact, I think the cellular amp I purcahsed a while back had a name brand coax. I don't recall who's it was, but it wasn't Larsen. If they don't use their own stuff on their own equipment, then that should give you a clue. There are a number of Chinese knockoff cables out there, some that are downright counterfeits of real stuff. While it might work just fine, you need to determine what level of risk you are willing to take.
Last time I purchased Times Microwave LMR-400 in quantity, I was paying about 65 cents a foot. Installing connectors isn't that hard, and if you solder them on, as some do, you don't need fancy tools or crimpers. Not counting shipping and tax, you should be able to get everything you need for under $100.

The other option is to look at E-bay. Occasionally there is good deals on there. Who knows, you might be able to find some 1/2" heliax with connectors for less than the dubious "wilson" coax you are looking at.

Personally, I'd steer away from it. While it may save you money and work, if it doesn't, you'll have a lot of labor for installation, and you'll still need to buy the right stuff.

benbenrf

Times, Times and Times .... again.

...... know why the Wilson is so much cheaper?

Take a look at the density of the outer braid and the thickness of the inner conductor - the Wilson contains a lot less.

prcguy

For a given series like "400" the center conductor has to be the exact same size no matter what the brand is. The LMR type cables also have 100% shielding from the aluminum foil wrap, so the braid has little to do with shielding. The amount of braid will have some bearing on crimp type connectors since the ferrule crimps the braid so Times and other brands with a more robust braid may have a better mechanical connection.

Otherwise the loss figures between brands are nearly identical and even the cheap brands will give you many years of good service. BTW Commscope probably sells more coax in a year than Times has sold since they started in business. Times is good stuff but its not the only suitable brand out there.
prcguy

Times, Times and Times .... again.

...... know why the Wilson is so much cheaper?

Take a look at the density of the outer braid and the thickness of the inner conductor - the Wilson contains a lot less.

mpddigital

Amen. Wilson is a Chinese made from you don't really know where. If the Times is too steep there are some other alternatives. Although if you factor the cost over the lifespan... Depending on the freqs you are working with you might look at 240 coax rather than 400, it is less expensive. Another good alternative is Andrew Commscope coax their CNT-400 and 240 is as good as Times and can sometimes be found lots cheaper. In addition to Commscope, Draka, Alpha, Coleman and others make a Microwave rated coax.

Be careful on Amazon. We sell a ton of stuff on there and there are "poachers" Amazon gives the "buy Box" to the lowest price most of the time. We have some listings for example for US Made Alpha coax assemblies and Amazon will give the buy box to a Chinese company so buyers who just click Buy without looking end up with coax shipped from Hong Kong. We also have sellers on our Times Microwave listings that are selling "generics". Never hurts to ask your seller for details if you are unsure. Just send them a question, all sellers have to answer within 24 hours or they get dinged.

KZ9G

Premium Subscriber
I have seen wilson coax fail in just over a year. The reason for failure was that the jacket cracked and flaked off. It looked like the jacket was not uv stabilized and the sun just ate it up.

wmscanfan

Premium Subscriber
Sure am glad I asked.

Don't mind paying for the good stuff, but don't like to waste money, but I have learned with lots of things - the most expensive things are those that you have to buy twice. Once when you think you are saving money and again when you buy what you should have bought in the first place.

I always tend to 'buy the best', but being a relative novice with scanning know-how wasn't sure what 'the best' was. Thanks everyone.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
PRCguy is correct.
The physical measurements of the inner conductor and the spacing to the outer shield is what determines the impedance of the cable. Since energy tends to flow on the outside of a conductor (skin effect), the coating on the inner conductor is critical. It should be pure copper, but on the cheap stuff, who knows for sure. The foil cover is the shield, and as long as it covers 100%, you are good to go. The braid is primarily for mechanical support. As KZ9G mentioned, the quality of the outer jacket is critical to the life expectancy of the cable. Lack of UV inhibitors will cause it to break down in the sun. That will let water in, and your cable will be garbage. Center dielectric make up is important to the velocity of propagation and how well the cable maintains its shape when bent.

Commscope is an excellent company, they'd be OK if you were getting the real stuff. Sounds like you've made up your mind, which is good. Don't be afraid to try installing your own connectors. It takes some practice, but it's really not that hard. A good soldering iron is important if you are doing solder on connectors. Basic low end crimp sets can be had for less than $100. Based on the cost for pre-terminated LMR400, you could find unterminated cable, buy a few of the correct connectors you need, and make your own custom cables. The cost would likely be the same, or really close to, the cost of the prebuilt stuff. You'd also have the tools for making your own cables down the road.

Violation

I always test my assembled cables with an ohm meter when completed. Test end to end for good continuity, and center conductor to shield for NO continuity. I wiggle the finished ends while watching the meter. It only takes one shield "hair" to short it all out. Saves a lot of heartache after the coax is run.

Status
Not open for further replies.