Coax Suggestions For Wall Spigot To Handheld ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

Getting back into hobby.

Have a Scantenna in the attic which I installed many, many years ago.
Coax thru the wall, and into a bnc wall spigot.
Makes for a neat installation.

Now want to get from this wall spigot to a handheld Uniden BCD 436.

Assume about 10 feet of coax.

Will want to use a "very" thin coax to make handling the handheld scanner comfortable and practical.

Any coax type suggestions ?

Or, seeing it's only 10 feet or so, the attenuation losses of most any "thin" type would
not be a concern ?

Thanks,
Bob

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
For using an external antenna with a handheld, I use a short length of RG174.

For VHF/UHF, I have a 40 foot run of LMR400 coming down the tower from the antenna. In the house it goes to a splitter where it feeds two radios.

I run a 6 foot length of RG58 from one side of the splitter over to my desk and then mate that to a 3 foot length of RG174.

What's great about the RG174 is that it's very flexible and doesn't put a strain on the handheld's antenna connector.

I have a crimper so I can add SMA, PL259 or BNC connectors on the ends as needed. But, you can get pre-made RG174 cables with the correct connectors from eBay.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 361

BOBRR

Antenna Connector On Uniden BCD 436 ?

Hi,

Thanks for help.

Want to get the RG 174 coax per suggestion.

The antenna Connector(s) on the Uniden BCD 436:

Are they SMA ?

Also called just BNC's ?

Not too sharp with all the connector types.

Thanks,
Bob

cmdrwill

The BNC, Bayonet Nielsen Connector, is not even close to the SMA connectors.

Then you need the right 'sex', connector.

"jwt873" 's Kenwood radio has a female SMA connector.

I do not know what SMA stands for, those connectors were not around when I went to school!

prcguy

The coax in the picture appears to be RG-316, which is Teflon dielectric and outer coating with silver plated center conductor and shield. It costs a bit more than RG-174 but is a little stronger and easier to install connectors without damaging the cable.

I would not run more than 3ft of either cable as the final length to your radio as it will have close to 1dB of loss at 850MHz in just 3ft.
prcguy

For using an external antenna with a handheld, I use a short length of RG174.

For VHF/UHF, I have a 40 foot run of LMR400 coming down the tower from the antenna. In the house it goes to a splitter where it feeds two radios.

I run a 6 foot length of RG58 from one side of the splitter over to my desk and then mate that to a 3 foot length of RG174.

What's great about the RG174 is that it's very flexible and doesn't put a strain on the handheld's antenna connector.

I have a crimper so I can add SMA, PL259 or BNC connectors on the ends as needed. But, you can get pre-made RG174 cables with the correct connectors from eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.