Coaxial Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

user786

My radio is Uniden BC246T Handheld.
I have about 30 ft of RG6 coax cable with male F connectors on both ends.
I also have a BNC to F adapter on the handheld to screw in the RG6 cable directly.
The other end of the RG6 F connector will be connected to another F to PL259 adapter and a 1/4 wave VHF High groundpalne will be connected to it.
Do I need anything else? I thought radios operate on 50 Ohms and RG6 is supposed to be 75 Ohms ? Am I right or wrong? Does some type of match need to be done to receive any better or am I fine as is with my setup ?

Al42

kb2vxa said:
Oh, if the meter reads S9 + 10dB what is the signal voltage at the antenna input terminals? (;->)
What kind of S-9 are we talking about? A 50 uv S-9? 10 voltage dbs? (Who raised the issue of reference?)

Just feeding you your own output, Warren. :)

Oh, and as far as the amplifier discussion goes - it's not the gain of the amp that's significant - it's the NF of the amp and the NF of the scanner front end. Improving the NF by, say, 6db, brings the signal approximately (due to a few other factors) 6db higher above the noise, making it 6db more readable. Whether the amp has unity gain or 15db gain makes no difference (up to the point of scanner overload).

CSL126

Hey Loumaag and Njay, i'll just go ahead and buy the LMR-400 cable and let you guys know who is right lol.

Also, I need a BNC connector on one end, and just a regular coaxial ending on the other. When I say "regular coaxial ending" i'm refering to the screw on ending (like on TVs) I'm not really sure what the technical name is. Does anyone know if any company will make the cable with custom endings?

mastr

CSL126 said:
Hey Loumaag and Njay, i'll just go ahead and buy the LMR-400 cable and let you guys know who is right lol.

Also, I need a BNC connector on one end, and just a regular coaxial ending on the other. When I say "regular coaxial ending" i'm refering to the screw on ending (like on TVs) I'm not really sure what the technical name is. Does anyone know if any company will make the cable with custom endings?

The standard "tv" connector is called an "F fitting" or "F connector". I cannot recall seeing one on LMR400, however RG11 cable is roughly the same outside diameter and F fittings are commonly used with it. The center conductor will be larger in the LMR400 than it is in RG11, that might be an issue.

RISC777

CSL126 said:

LMR-400 as thick as it is...I've always had it terminated as BNC, then adapted to F when need be. Belden 9913 is the same scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.