• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Coaxial relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I just discovered coaxial relays and I was wondering if there was any way to use some sort of current sensing relay to trigger the coaxial relays as to disconnect other radios antennas when I key up a radio. For example, if I have 2 scanners, a ham radio and a CB radio and the antennas are mounted near each other on the trunk, I want to disconnect the scanner antenna and CB when I key up the ham, or disconnect the ham and scanner when I key up the CB.

Also, did someone already do this and am I just reinventing the wheel?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It's been done, and there is some merit to doing that sort of thing. I'd use a sequencer to switch things on and iff, depending on the requirement.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
VHF/UHF weak signal operators sometimes use sequencers to make sure things happen in the right order.

Let's say you are using a mast-mounted pre-amp that is triggered with a DC voltage riding on the coax. You want the pre-amp enabled when you are in receive mode, but it has to be disabled in transmit mode so that high levels of RF don't go through the pre-amp. Let's say you are also using a power amp to step up the output of a transmitter (exciter) from, let's say, 5 watts to 100 watts.

Your sequencer would do the following: When you key up to transmit, the DC voltage is sent to the pre-amp to disable it, then the PA is keyed so that its ready, then the exciter is keyed to start transmitting. When you un-key, the exciter is turned off, the PA is turned off, then the pre-amp is turned on. Do these things in the wrong order and you'll zap some expensive electronics.

Here's a link to a product description of a sequencer from Down East Microwave: http://01895fa.netsolhost.com/PDF/trs.PDF

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
That’s cool but a little over my head. I’m just now getting into electronics at this level. I was just hoping to install some sort of current sensor on the power line to the radio, and when it gets above the monitoring level, engage the coaxial relay to open the other antenna circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.