• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 29 LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmc88222

Worked fine for a few days. Now it shows receiving all the time. Push to talk and then right back to receiving. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

k6cpo

Ummm... Isn't that how they're supposed to work? Receiving when they are turned on and transmitting when you actuate the push-to-talk, returning to receiving when you release the PTT.

If your radio is doing something different you need to be a bit more specific.

usmc88222

Yeah right. Lol. It says receiving but u receive nothing. Can not talk out. Its like its on mute

N8IAA

If you've bought a tweeked radio, my guess would be to take it back to whom ever sold it to you.
And you are posting in the ham radio forum. There is a CB forum for these questions.
Larry

k6cpo

Yeah right. Lol. It says receiving but u receive nothing. Can not talk out. Its like its on mute

OK. Not having done any CB since the 1970's, I'm not familiar with the radios currently available. If I had to guess, the person who commented about the PA function might be closest to the problem.

If the radio was purchased used, then returning to the person you purchased it from would be the next step (if they'll take it back.) If it was new, then it is likely under warranty and can be returned or repaired.

Dawn

Think about it. The OP alternately says the mic when pushed in for ptt is in receive indication, not transmit, but also says the radio is mute in receive. If I had to literally take this at face value off a repair ticket (which I wouldn't), my first thought is to check the center/common wire on the T/R switching in the microphone. If that wire was broken/open which usually is tied to ground on most electronic switching radios, the ptt line would never go low, so no red transmit indicator or transmit an at the same time in receive without the mic keyed, the ground return on the secondary side of the modulation/audio transformer would be open. You'd still get the green light for receive, but the audio would be dead. That's assuming this is wired like this and one of those radios that have no receive audio when the mic is inserted.

Again, I never, ever would take a customer's description as valid unless cleared by an installer as a valid description of the problem, but immediately substituting a known, working mic before opening the chassis would be my first diagnostic and reasonable suspicion with usually tampered with equipment like CB's that something may be amiss in the mic or mic connector. Not something I'd expect to find with a commerical radio as they're rarely messed with by the customer.

Just saying.

MeddleMan

recheck...

If you've bought a tweeked radio, my guess would be to take it back to whom ever sold it to you.
And you are posting in the ham radio forum. There is a CB forum for these questions.
Larry

This is the CB forum, unless it were already moved from that forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.