• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Coinshooting at the local high school after homecoming night !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Just got back from coinshooting (metal detecting) at the local high school here in Libby, Mt. and found over $8.59 in change, not bad, and a pair of kids sunglasses, butane lighter and one tube of purple girl's makeup (ha ha). Also 1 Apple Ipod touch that worked; ha ha ha. Those things run anywhere from $199.99 to 249.99 depending on the model. Turned it into the high school vice principal as the owner might be found. Found the owner's first name of Issac on the Ipod and the vice principal said it could be Issac Jones. So just maybe I might get a reward for finding it. Heh heh If it's not his it's mine. Yes!!! Oh and it was football homecoming night, last night. Always a good time for possible metal detecting goodies. Heh heh.

Last edited:
Not a bad haul. I used to walk around the track at the local high school a long time ago. I could usually take a trip under the stands (when no one was in them) and find quite a bit of change. Later, when I was in the service, I got stuck working nights doing security at our little base in Seattle. I had to walk the base and all the buildings every hour. I would make a trip through the laundry room in the barracks and find a little bit of change in the bottom of the washers. I'd check the top of the vending machines and find some more. I'd stop in most of the waiting rooms and do a bit of "couch mining" and find some more. I usually scored enough every evening to get a can of soda or two to help keep me awake.
I still check the top of the soda machine. For some reason people put there change up there then forget about it. Sometimes it's just pennies, but after a while it really adds up. My wife and I keep a change jar and cash it in once a year. We can usually score $75 bucks or so.

Coinshooting

Not a bad haul. I used to walk around the track at the local high school a long time ago. I could usually take a trip under the stands (when no one was in them) and find quite a bit of change. Later, when I was in the service, I got stuck working nights doing security at our little base in Seattle. I had to walk the base and all the buildings every hour. I would make a trip through the laundry room in the barracks and find a little bit of change in the bottom of the washers. I'd check the top of the vending machines and find some more. I'd stop in most of the waiting rooms and do a bit of "couch mining" and find some more. I usually scored enough every evening to get a can of soda or two to help keep me awake.
I still check the top of the soda machine. For some reason people put there change up there then forget about it. Sometimes it's just pennies, but after a while it really adds up. My wife and I keep a change jar and cash it in once a year. We can usually score $75 bucks or so.
Hi mmckenna

Yeah, I know what you mean about doing security work. I was an security guard here in town at the local lumber mill for over 25 years. Miss the job, easy work and payed good. Oh well. I always searched the vending machines for loose change. Usually found something. I've been metal detecting since 1978 and found quite a bit of stuff over the years. People sure loose a lot of change and sometimes other stuff, you just never know what you might come across. Ha Ha

Maybe sometime when I settle down I'll give it a try.

When I was a kid, my grandfather had a Radio Shack metal detector. He used to hide coins under the rugs in their house and then let me use his detector to find them. I remember I could barely hold the thing, but it sure was a lot of fun. He's long gone but I still have the old Radio Shack metal detector in teh garage. My son is about old enough to give it a try.

Hi All

Well good news. The owner of the Ipod was found. It wasn't Issak Jones, it was Issac Massey. And he was very happy to get it back. It sure made his day.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I often thought about having some fun, but some of those detectors are insanely priced. What is a good in between unit to get. Nothing more than 500 bucks?

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

I can imagine that an Ipod is a pretty important item to a high school student. I work for a university, and it's rare to see a student without the earphones stuffed in their ears. Makes driving around the campus quite dangerous.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I often thought about having some fun, but some of those detectors are insanely priced. What is a good in between unit to get. Nothing more than 500 bucks?

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk
Take a look at the Garrett metal dectector ACE models.

"Oh well. I always searched the vending machines for loose change."

After I told the restaurant industry what to go do with itself, I worked briefly doing surveillance (late-night watchman) at a warehouse downtown. I'd find Chanel #5-sprayed $5s on top of the sandwich machine almost every evening when I was scouting the terrain in that particular hallway. A few fivers later and upon getting suspicious enough to warrant reviewing the surveillance tapes for that part of the hallway, it turned out to be my old junior high/high school girlfriend/sweetie with whom I had lost touch a few years earlier and had no idea even worked there.

She had been deliberately leaving the fivers there as she was getting off work for me to find! Her calling card, as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.