• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

College Equipped With Full Spy Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to tour a college security operation and it was a bit more than I anticipated.

The name and location will remain unmentioned to protect their privacy and operation.

In addition to having a manned (and armed) 24/7 security operation with CCTV monitoring (nothing out of the ordinary here, this is expected),they had an entire room full of TV news feeds (local, national, and international), monitors displaying real time social media spying (Facebook, Twitter etc) and the room was staffed with not security officers, but "intelligence agents".

It looked like a full blown Gov spy facility so much that I was looking for the Stingray device, which given the scope of this surveillance I'm sure they had.

While I can appreciate their diligence in providing security, I'm feeling this is an invasion of privacy due to the social media spy suites, and possible spying beyond that.

I've heard malls are doing this and I can think of several other places that are doing this or worse.

There are ways to access people's social media accounts if they're on your wifi.

I suppose my rant is always assume you're being watched. Where does the spying stop?

Note: This story was reported in the media.

Last edited:
A campus has the right to spy on its students, but this seems a little overboard. The 'terrorist' threat has made people paranoid.

Perhaps someone on the school student council should do a FOIA to ascertain WHO they are spying on as well as what is done with that info.

This school probably has far too many government funds to spend.

I got to tour a college security operation and it was a bit more than I anticipated.

The name and location will remain unmentioned to protect their privacy and operation.

In addition to having a manned (and armed) 24/7 security operation with CCTV monitoring (nothing out of the ordinary here, this is expected),they had an entire room full of TV news feeds (local, national, and international), monitors displaying real time social media spying (Facebook, Twitter etc) and the room was staffed with not security officers, but "intelligence agents".

It looked like a full blown Gov spy facility so much that I was looking for the Stingray device, which given the scope of this surveillance I'm sure they had.

While I can appreciate their diligence in providing security, I'm feeling this is an invasion of privacy due to the social media spy suites, and possible spying beyond that.

I've heard malls are doing this and I can think of several other places that are doing this or worse.

There are ways to access people's social media accounts if they're on your wifi.

I suppose my rant is always assume you're being watched. Where does the spying stop?

Note: This story was reported in the media.
That is just shocking. I suppose these "intelligence agents" are student interns being trained in STASI investigative techniques. Also it is a good place for a smooth "operator" to pick their next girl/guy freind from the intelligence gathering. I suppose graduates will have an encrypted data file sent along to their prospective employers so that they can be vetted as being "good citizens and loyal comrades".

That is just shocking. I suppose these "intelligence agents" are student interns being trained in STASI investigative techniques. Also it is a good place for a smooth "operator" to pick their next girl/guy freind from the intelligence gathering. I suppose graduates will have an encrypted data file sent along to their prospective employers so that they can be vetted as being "good citizens and loyal comrades".

The kicker is it wasn't even a big name university.

It's some junior college.

I got curious and checked the procurement department of a college I did some work with. They bought Social Sentinel and some other threat related software products. I expect they are all doing this. They can geofence the campus and look for key words. I have no doubt they search the social sites of all registered students. The funny thing is that a state college like this has no dorms, the students have other lives outside of going to school part time.

Social Sentinel is one thing, harmless and non invasive and when you apply for many jobs these days many employers will check your Facebook and other social media postings for any weird stuff before giving you an offer. But to access any of your personal accounts requiring a password or get into the hard drive of your personal computer via WiFi or to use a Stingray to take over your cell phone would require a search warrant.

I suspect this mystery college is doing everything within the law and if so who cares...
prcguy

Ever seen the location tracking software for wifi?

If your phone connects to their "free wifi" everywhere you walked can be estimated by signal strength within the network range.

Social Sentinel is one thing, harmless and non invasive and when you apply for many jobs these days many employers will check your Facebook and other social media postings for any weird stuff before giving you an offer. But to access any of your personal accounts requiring a password or get into the hard drive of your personal computer via WiFi or to use a Stingray to take over your cell phone would require a search warrant.

I suspect this mystery college is doing everything within the law and if so who cares...
prcguy

Yeah, just like the gov does everything within the law.

Yeah, just like the gov does everything within the law.
Sort of like the STASI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stasi

My wife fled Cuba in 1967. They had Communist Party informants in her neighborhood and schools. You couldn't talk about anything without your every thought being reported by the "Loyal Comrades". We are slowly slipping into the mentality of letting government pry into our daily lives "for the greater good". Difference between the 1950's and 1960's is that you had to have a relationship with the snitches. Now the process is automated.

Last edited:
That's fine and doesn't break any laws. If you didn't set up your phone to ID with your actual name then they would never know who they are tracking.
prcguy

Ever seen the location tracking software for wifi?

If your phone connects to their "free wifi" everywhere you walked can be estimated by signal strength within the network range.

Status
Not open for further replies.