colleges with on campus housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailly2

why are they all encrypted? even on mototrbo, have heard mototrbo systems that should have used encryption but didn't. oh well, im going to go to a college and see whats going on up close and personal, maybe crash a party on a thursday night this fall

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I run a NexEdge system for a university campus. I don't encrypt all talk groups, but I do encrypt the ones where personal identifying information might get passed.
It's too difficult for end users to remember to not say certain things over the air. It's so much easier to set up the encryption on the talk group and be done with it.
With these digital radios, it's quite simple to do.

SCPD

QRT
New Mexico State University began while back going through or as equipment updated strapping all channels NMSU PD uses statewide. I have yet to see it but statewide channels NMSU PD have access to arent in the DB NMSU uses though would be irrelevant as it is all secured now. While some are behind on local channels it is in funding at a local campus level but when the monies are there campuses get alloted for it encryption will be used. Mainly due to times of lawsuits, video filmers following law enforcement in them rights tests, shootings, ssn to student names ran like mentioned, privacy of students and persons such as crimes, csp, assault and security issues it is easier to just set it up and be done with it with no user error. People can bicker shoot down its cost and how hard it is when fact is, it costs nothing extra anymore specially in large agreement contracts to lower end security options at free no cost. We got apx8000s and 8000xe's and the multi board ucm cost us nothing with the contract agreement. Same for the fire end where I am. They run 6000s and it cost nothing extra to have a multi board ucm in the contract. Two handfuls of NM agencies have been getting 6000s and 4000 APX and the UCM options cost nothing extra in the contract as it was negotiated elsewhere. also isn't as flakey as the old days. Many think it's a non stop issue of a device loosing it's key. While it can happen it isn't as big of a deal as many bicker of and if proper steps are put in place it can be resolved in no time and no effort along with proper programming steps to prevent a radio from loosing it's key. Over all it is the security of the students, and lawsuit prevention anymore and media putting out unofficial information later having to revert. One example would be shootings in recent history where the press would hear the information then release it and find a Facebook photo of a person and when in reality LE did not intend that person to be a suspect publicly in a person of intetest for ongoing investigation the media made him one and after the person files a lawsuit. Way of the times with security and protection of a entity.

I will add also this is where interop channels become useful along with local PD's having access to interops along with localized interops which a key is shared. Not many do this but where I am we do and it hasn't failed yet. Dispatch has access to the secured NMSU end and all radios have the national interops along with local interops which are secured all entities can securely communicate on. If all fails everyone knows the national interops can be used. It hasn't failed yet. I will mention APCO and other entities have been debating allowing encryption on the national interoperability channels or setting aside designated channels with policies for strapped secure use with drafts on how to keep those secure such as radios that can be locked, accounted for etc and accredited agencies applying for the key etc. It's been in talks for sometime but hasn't gone far but the idea is roaming. I see it happening down road.

Last edited:

Septa3371CSX1

Biggest reasons the university police forces use encryption is to control what happenings on campus get reported - especially by student-run newspapers. Some of them get a hold of a scanner and will report on anything they feel is newsworthy - namely negative things that can impact the school's reputation. I know that was the reason for Rutgers going full encryption on the NJICS.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
We got apx8000s and 8000xe's and the multi board ucm cost us nothing with the contract agreement. Same for the fire end where I am. They run 6000s and it cost nothing extra to have a multi board ucm in the contract. Two handfuls of NM agencies have been getting 6000s and 4000 APX and the UCM options cost nothing extra in the contract as it was negotiated elsewhere.

APX series of radios do not have UCM. Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.