Colorado forum Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9mwd

Well it seems setting a scanner up to monitor the DTRS system might be interesting and kind of a challenge to get it tweaked the way you want. I never really got the chance to fully understand how these types of systems worked. I had a general knowlegde. We were told that it works kinda like a cell phone. As we wander around the county or state the radio would look for the best tower and transfer over. It was kinda nice cause we never had to change to different repeaters as we were responding to something. We stayed on our main channel until we arrived on-scene and were assigned an incident channel. As soon as i'm able to send PM's I will send you one Cryptolog. I still can't access the PM or email funtions yet.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
As we wander around the county or state the radio would look for the best tower and transfer over. It was kinda nice cause we never had to change to different repeaters as we were responding to something.
If you're sitting on a commercial rig, that's just what they do. Without that kind of function, it would be pretty unworkable for the real users of the system.

Unfortunately, I am unaware of any company that has produced a consumer grade scanner that does this -- "this" specifically being the "would look for the best tower and transfer over". Nothing in my budget range monitors available DTRS sites on an ongoing basis looking for the best candidate and switching to it. If GRE or Uniden or anyone else ever comes up with an affordable rig that would actually do this, they'd have my $ in a heartbeat. Meanwhile, lack of the function you described makes mobile use of a consumer unit a challenge at times, and the one you own has as much ability to work around the problems of mobile 800MHz comms as any of them (more than most) - if you can take advantage of it.

kenn_moses

Premium Subscriber
Hello from another new member

I am in Grand Junction. New to RadioReference.com but not Grand Junction as I've lived here since 1977. My current scanner is a now out-dated BC895XLT which was preceded by a BC210. I'm also an amateur radio operator licensed as N0VA. I have limited space available but I'll find a place to put the new BCD996XT ordered Thursday from an outlet in Las Vegas. I wrestled with paying that much for a scanner but the Visa card was able to handle it.

The 996XL looks like it will be a challenge to program with everything it's capable of handling in this area and I will probably be looking for help on the Uniden forum. Maybe on this forum as well when it seems appropriate. Probably have to put up a low profile antenna outside to receive any of the 800 MHz stuff too.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I am in Grand Junction. New to RadioReference.com but not Grand Junction as I've lived here since 1977. My current scanner is a now out-dated BC895XLT which was preceded by a BC210. I'm also an amateur radio operator licensed as N0VA. I have limited space available but I'll find a place to put the new BCD996XT ordered Thursday from an outlet in Las Vegas. I wrestled with paying that much for a scanner but the Visa card was able to handle it.

The 996XL looks like it will be a challenge to program with everything it's capable of handling in this area and I will probably be looking for help on the Uniden forum. Maybe on this forum as well when it seems appropriate. Probably have to put up a low profile antenna outside to receive any of the 800 MHz stuff too.

Welcome Ken, I would contact Bruce N0NHP locally to help you program your new toy via software for Mesa County and Grand Junction. Also you might check out mesacountyscanner@yahoogroups.com

Jim<

kenn_moses

Premium Subscriber
The Mesa County Scanner yahoo group has a file section with a table of frequencies from January, 2009. I'll have to find out if it's up to date. Thanks.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
The Mesa County Scanner yahoo group has a file section with a table of frequencies from January, 2009. I'll have to find out if it's up to date. Thanks.

Freqs and actually talk groups are more up to date here on RR database area.

Jim<

n0nhp

I am going to be out of town when your new scanner gets here Ken,
What software are you planning on using with the scanner?
If it is ProScan, I will upload a file to get you started. Otherwise you will be doing a bit of typing.
Bruce

kenn_moses

Premium Subscriber
File and Proscan

Well, I did download FreeScan but not ProScan as yet. At $50 it's a bit pricey but that does not totally rule it out. If you could upload the file that would be good. I guess there is a trial period on ProScan...if that will handle your file I could try it and if it works well for me I would go ahead and cough up the $50. Thanks Bruce.

Ken~N0VA

joseph2020

Hello, my name is joe (joseph2020 here) and am not yet a ham operator, although I am getting close to taking the Technician test. I am very new to all of this and I will be (at first, anyway) asking lots of what may seem to you experts as "simple" questions. Please bear with me during these learning times.

I live in Boulder, and I have a scanner, although the only I have managed to pick up so far is the weather broadcast signal at 462.500 Mhz. I just bought an ADI AT-201 from Ebay transceiver (should be getting in the mail on the 31st). I actually have no idea how to operate this radio and will certainly be asking a lot of newbie questions, but I will try not to annoy.

I am happy to have found this group and I am looking forward to particiapating in the forums.

TrentRock5150

Hello from Conejos County!!!
Much love to whiterabbit_medic for the live feed
I have a BC72xlt that is apparently obsolete out here :(
(I just moved here from Santa Barbara, CA...they still use analog signals)
I was gonna buy a trunking scanner then I found white rabbit medic's feed :)
Saved me 400 bucks!!!

I do not know much about the trunking stuff
I may end up buying a digital trunking scanner anyways down the road....

thank you

Hello from Conejos County!!!
Much love to whiterabbit_medic for the live feed
I have a BC72xlt that is apparently obsolete out here :(
(I just moved here from Santa Barbara, CA...they still use analog signals)
I was gonna buy a trunking scanner then I found white rabbit medic's feed :)
Saved me 400 bucks!!!

I do not know much about the trunking stuff
I may end up buying a digital trunking scanner anyways down the road....

Thanks I enjoy providing it. There are many things you can still listen to here in the valley without a digital radio; right now I am working on confirming frequencies for the 2 scenic rail road’s running in the valley. Also with this recent fire I have found out the forest service is active across most the valley on vhf. Welcome to the valley, Colorado and radio reference.

Whiterabbit_medic

G8SNH

Moving to Loveland Co.

Hello
My name is John and we are moving to Loveland, Co at the end of July from Chicago. My monitoring is mainly Civil and Mill aircraft and the local PD. Will be looking at whats invloved in monitoring the Loveland PD and also the National Park activity, Forest service and any wildfire activity.
Cannot wait to try out a new location.
John

TrentRock5150

right now I am working on confirming frequencies for the 2 scenic rail road’s running in the valley.
Whiterabbit_medic

I hear the Antonito Station everyday
They give a "rider count"
I think it is mostly for the food crew at Osier
So they know how much food to cook :)
Other than that, I do not hear much on the CTSRR freqs
I'll write down the freq for your confirmation, soon

I'm actually near Antonito
Not much action :(
I hear maybe 1 or 2 Antonito calls a day

I heard a dispatcher say "ummmmm" for the first time ever....hehehhehe

They rarely seem to use the phonetic stuff here in CO
Like when they are running a make on a guy
They just say,"1st of TRENT...last of ROCK"
Not [Tom, Robert, Edward,Nora,Tom].....

Can you PM me the Forest Station analog freqs?
I hear the trucks whizzing by into The Rio Grande National Forest
But I do not hear any action on my trusty bc72XLT

Thanks again for the feed Senor Blanca Conejos de Medico!!
I was getting worried I was gonna be stuck at 8,000 ft with no scanner action!!!
Maybe I'll make a San Luis Valley thread so as not to derail this welcome-type thread...

TRENT

lazierfan

Feed Provider
in 1996, I had the off-the-cuff idea to record C&TSRR chatter overlaid on my videos of the trip. I chased the train when I arrived in town, and sat waiting and recording while it pulled a 17-car consist of Boy Scouts, triple-header, up from the Chama side.
What an opportunity! The engines were running out of water, had to detach occupied cars and get to the summit to fill tenders with water, then go back down to fetch the rolling stock (not rolling at the time haha).

Lunch at Osier became a choice of dinner, or to return to Chama.

Good pictures of triple header from the ground, great radio chatter, and to top it off, snow at the summit. A train gets its best pictures when there is snow.

IMHO.

AmyLyn

Alamosa Feed

New to the Forums, but not to RadioReference. I live outside of San Luis in the San Luis Valley and was wondering if we could get the feed back up and running down here. Married to law enforcement with the pay of the valley, I can't afford to buy a scanner myself. Anybody willing to put it back up? Please?!

TrentRock5150

New to the Forums, but not to RadioReference. I live outside of San Luis in the San Luis Valley and was wondering if we could get the feed back up and running down here. Married to law enforcement with the pay of the valley, I can't afford to buy a scanner myself. Anybody willing to put it back up? Please?!
It sucks not having scanner audio!!! :( I'm in the same boat. I can't really afford a trunking scanner.Otherwise I would do the feed myself.

If anyone puts up a feed. I'll buy lunch in Alamosa!!!...hehehehehhe....lol....;)

Junior1970

Mesa County/GJPD

Hi! I'm actually from Utah but I am looking forward to making a few trips to Mesa County/Grand Junction in the future. I have a Pro 96/2096 setup using Win96 software.

Couple of questions: In the DB under Mesa there are VHF freqs listed. Are these all active in addition to the DTRS system and most importantly will my radio setup track DTRS. I did see info on the 96/2096 in the wiki but didn't know how recent that info is.

Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.