Columbus PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santacarl

Hello All.....

Can someone tell me about how to scan for the Columbus PD? I used to pick them up on the freq in the DB but for the past few months everything is quiet on that freq now.....

Something has obviously changed but I can't find a reference anyplace...Anyone know the story or what I need to do/change to get them back on my scan list?

Thankx

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
It is possible they went to the MSWIN with the sheriff.

Santacarl

Not listed if so

It is possible they went to the MSWIN with the sheriff.

Well....I pick up the Sheriff on MSWIN....but I see no reference any place in the DB for CPD on MSWIN..... Is there another place to check to see who's on MSWIN?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Monitor it in ID search mode. We have no new data until you folks submit new data. Find them on there, and tell us, we add it. Thats how this works. Thats how scanning in general works. They could still be on conventional but using a new tone. We do not know until you folks out there find out. Scanning is not plug n play. Its seek, search, monitor, find out things.

Santacarl

Monitor it in ID search mode.

Understand you update what's given you....That's much appreciated BTW... I was hoping someone local would see the question and chime in.....

I'm not much of a techie type.....how do you "Monitor in ID search mode" with a BCD436HP ? Sorry if that's a bit outside the scope of this post...but the manual on the BCD436HP is maybe the worst I've ever seen....can't find a darned thing in that waste of good paper....LOL...

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
When you set up the system in Sentinel or ProScan, just click the ID Search option to on. There is no real huge tech issue, and its written in layman's terms in the easier to read manuals for the scanner, and for Sentinel. Not to seem a smarta$$ here, but if you think this is how engineers write for other engineers,... You are in a world of migraine if you ever actually read a professional level paper.

What you really are trying to say is: Please give me a full on step by step on every little detail, or better yet program this all for me so I can jut press play. I can set up your Favorites List for ID Search on the MSWIN, and even set CPD up for Tone Search if they changed tones in use on the conventional. Email me your HPE file and I will take a look at it. After that, it is highly recommended you actually dig in a bit and learn how to use the tool you bought. Not being an A$$, just being real here.

Better yet, since your about to ask me next what the f an hpe file is... Jut tell me if your using ProScan or Sentinel, and I will set you up a basic file for you to run with. Which you will then have to customize and learn how to add too, edit, change etc ... So tell me which software package you use, and a basic list of what you want to hear that is in the DB, and I will add the ID Search option, and Tone Search option. Also, I will take a WAG here and say you do not have ANY of the DMR, ProVOICE, or NXDN options purchased and enabled?

Oh and this is free of charge. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Santacarl

I already have my Favorites list set up... I didn't realize there was an ID search option to click on....I'll go back and look for it in Sentinel. Thanks for the heads up. I don't want to impose and get someone to do it for me...I just needed to know what I should be looking for/trying to do.

I actually spent a lot of time learning how to set up my favorites despite your assumption that I haven't attempted to "Dig in a bit." My problem is that I don't live and breath scanner.....so every time I need to change something I have to go back and re-learn all over again.... I find that very tedious and I tend to avoid it like the plague.....and when you combine that with the idea that "you don't know what you don't know"....it's even harder.

For instance even if I find the check for ID search in Sentinel....I have no idea what checking it actually does......or what to expect.....or where I can find out about it. So, yeah, I need to find some basic 'how to' source information for that....and that can be a nightmare.....

As to DMR, ProVOICE, or NXDN options....you're correct but only because I researched and didn't find any participants in my local area that I was interested in monitoring who use those features.... I just didn't see any need to go through the hoops to add them if I don't plan on using them.

However if CPD has gone to one of those I'd be glad to purchase and add as necessary...

bama9999

For instance even if I find the check for ID search in Sentinel....I have no idea what checking it actually does......or what to expect

Putting a check mark in the box for ID search allows the scanner to hear any/all talkgroups that transmit, regardless of whether you have them programmed in or not. It's how you discover new talkgroups on a system, and is the setting you want to use to make sure you hear everything possible on a system like MSWIN.

When you don't have the check mark in the ID search box, the scanner instead just scans only the talkgroups that you already have programmed in for a particular system. This is useful for when you have only certain talkgroups on a system that you want to hear, and have no desire to hear any others.

Santacarl

Putting a check mark in the box for ID search allows the scanner to hear any/all talkgroups that transmit, regardless of whether you have them programmed in or not. It's how you discover new talkgroups on a system, and is the setting you want to use to make sure you hear everything possible on a system like MSWIN.

When you don't have the check mark in the ID search box, the scanner instead just scans only the talkgroups that you already have programmed in for a particular system. This is useful for when you have only certain talkgroups on a system that you want to hear, and have no desire to hear any others.

Thanks for the reply and help Bama.....

I wondered why I was suddenly getting traffic I hadn't heard before.... Unfortunately it looks like CPD didn't move over to MSWIN.... Must be a carrier tone change.... I tried doing a Close Call scan....but that didn't turn up anything.....but I might be too far out of town for that to work as it seems it relies on a strong signal.....

bama9999

You're welcome. Glad to help when I can. If you think it's a tone issue, try scanning the frequencies in tone search. That way it will find the new one, in case they have in fact changed it. I've had close call pick up from a fairly decent range before, but that was with the help of a really good outside antenna. Otherwise, it is as you stated, and relies on a close/strong signal to work correctly.

Hopefully someone from that area will chime in and let you know about any changes that have been made.

Edited to add: It's possible that they have switched to a digital format like DMR and still use the same frequency. If so, without the DMR upgrade you should hear digital nose when they transmit, so be on the lookout for that also when your trying to receive them as well.

Last edited:

Santacarl

If you think it's a tone issue, try scanning the frequencies in tone search. That way it will find the new one, in case they have in fact changed it. I've had close call pick up from a fairly decent range before, but that was with the help of a really good outside antenna. Otherwise, it is as you stated, and relies on a close/strong signal to work correctly.

Edited to add: It's possible that they have switched to a digital format like DMR and still use the same frequency. If so, without the DMR upgrade you should hear digital nose when they transmit, so be on the lookout for that also when your trying to receive them as well.

Well there I go again....I don't know enough to even look for "tone search"....had no clue that existed.... I'll try to look for that in the manual and read up on it now that I know what to look for...

As to DMR being on the same freq...... There is no digital noise or any noise for that matter on the freq I used to pick them up on..... Is it possible to scan for a DMR in the area? I'd have to get the upgrade but I don't mind doing that if I have something to listen to.....lol...

Thanks for your help....it's appreciated.

bama9999

Well there I go again....I don't know enough to even look for "tone search"....had no clue that existed.... I'll try to look for that in the manual and read up on it now that I know what to look for...

As to DMR being on the same freq...... There is no digital noise or any noise for that matter on the freq I used to pick them up on..... Is it possible to scan for a DMR in the area? I'd have to get the upgrade but I don't mind doing that if I have something to listen to.....lol...

Thanks for your help....it's appreciated.

Again, you are very welcome. Glad to do what I can to help.

Ok, in Sentinel, open it up to where you are on the programming page where you have the Columbus PD frequencies. About midway across you will see where it says "Audio Options". Find Columbus PD and then click on the button for the "Audio Options" on that line, and a smaller window should pop up. On that window, where it says CTCSS/DCS, click on that and choose the first option CTCSS/DCS Search. Then click "OK" to close the window. Then click "File" in the upper left corner and choose to save. You can then upload that to your scanner and it will search for any tones if and when it stops on that frequency.

You can search/scan DMR frequencies with the upgrade, but you don't have to have the upgrade to just find them. You can hear the digital noise on your scanner as it is. You just won't be able to listen to anything or know who it is you've found on a frequency. Well, i guess you could look it up online, but I'm referring to just finding a DMR signal without decoding it.

Ok, I guess all that is clear as mud. lol If I need to clarify more, or if I can be of further assistance, let me know and I'll do my best.

Santacarl

Again, you are very welcome. Glad to do what I can to help.

Ok, in Sentinel, open it up to where you are on the programming page where you have the Columbus PD frequencies. About midway across you will see where it says "Audio Options". Find Columbus PD and then click on the button for the "Audio Options" on that line, and a smaller window should pop up. On that window, where it says CTCSS/DCS, click on that and choose the first option CTCSS/DCS Search. Then click "OK" to close the window. Then click "File" in the upper left corner and choose to save. You can then upload that to your scanner and it will search for any tones if and when it stops on that frequency.

You can search/scan DMR frequencies with the upgrade, but you don't have to have the upgrade to just find them. You can hear the digital noise on your scanner as it is. You just won't be able to listen to anything or know who it is you've found on a frequency. Well, i guess you could look it up online, but I'm referring to just finding a DMR signal without decoding it.

Ok, I guess all that is clear as mud. lol If I need to clarify more, or if I can be of further assistance, let me know and I'll do my best.

Haha....thanks Bama.... Your explanation was clear.... Actually I had already tried the CTCSS/DCS search just out of curiosity not knowing what it was for... I let it scan for several hours but it didn't find anything new....I suppose I could just let it run longer but usually CPD broadcasts a lot so I'd think I would have picked up something if they were still on the freq.....and I haven't heard any digital 'noise' on the freq either.... So they must have made a major change of technology of some sort or other.... Maybe someone locally will figure it out and send an update for the DB.....

Thanks again for trying.....

bama9999

My guess is that they're probably on MSWIN and nobody's caught it yet. Again, that's just a guess but I'd think it's the more likely scenario. Hopefully someone will know and post the info.

Take care.

Santacarl

I was in Columbus for several hrs on Tuesday, I was copying the PD on the highband thats listed in this database but it was real distorted and could barely understand them at times. So I don't know....

Be Safe

Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting.....I monitored that "highband" for years.....and now I get nothing on it....but I'm out from town a few miles.....so if you were getting a distorted on in town it makes you wonder.....

Status
Not open for further replies.