• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Comet GP-6NC - great antenna!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
I purchased a Comet GP-6NC a few months ago and had to wait since it was on backorder. I just received the antenna and got it assembled and did a test run in the backyard and all I can say is WOW!!! I am shocked at how good it picks up signals...certainly blows away any scanner antenna I've used! And right now the antenna isn't even mounted ... I was just holding it a few feet above the ground.

Anyone else own a Comet GP series antenna and use it for scanning? The GP-6NC I got is very similar to the regular GP6 but it has an N-connector and is tuned for 155/465 MHz instead of 2m/440. So far I certainly feel good about my purchase and can't wait to do more testing after getting it mounted. I would have got the 17ft GP-9 but I didn't want to upset the neighbors too much :D

Skypilot007

I've had a GP-6 up for about 3 or 4 years now. I mainly use it for scanning. I was unaware of the GP-6C or it didn't exist when I ordered. Anyway the GP-6 works great. Its mainly connected to my BC895XLT. I have it mounted about 45-50ft up feed with 9913. No complaints here.

prcguy

I have a few commercial GP-9s and love them for UHF. On VHF the bandwidth is extremely narrow centered at 155MHz. The match in the 156/157MHz marine band or 151/154MHz MURS is so high it would be unusable for transmitting. I have a new spare that I would sell for $100 + shipping, it went to Tanzinia for a job and came back without being used.
prcguy

Wagon63

Premium Subscriber
brandon said:
I purchased a Comet GP-6NC a few months ago and had to wait since it was on backorder. I just received the antenna and got it assembled and did a test run in the backyard and all I can say is WOW!!! I am shocked at how good it picks up signals...certainly blows away any scanner antenna I've used! And right now the antenna isn't even mounted ... I was just holding it a few feet above the ground.

Anyone else own a Comet GP series antenna and use it for scanning? The GP-6NC I got is very similar to the regular GP6 but it has an N-connector and is tuned for 155/465 MHz instead of 2m/440. So far I certainly feel good about my purchase and can't wait to do more testing after getting it mounted. I would have got the 17ft GP-9 but I didn't want to upset the neighbors too much :D

Do you have the Link where it can be purchased?

brandon

Database Admin
I bought it from a company called R&L Electronics (www.randl.com). It took forever to get here since it has to be ordered on request... but definitely worth and it and I thought their service was really good. They even called me to let me know the shipment came in.

I also found HRO sells them on their website, so that might be another option to buy from.

Status
Not open for further replies.