Comet GP-6NC - great antenna!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
I purchased a Comet GP-6NC a few months ago and had to wait since it was on backorder. I just received the antenna and got it assembled and did a test run in the backyard and all I can say is WOW!!! I am shocked at how good it picks up signals...certainly blows away any scanner antenna I've used! And right now the antenna isn't even mounted ... I was just holding it a few feet above the ground.

Anyone else own a Comet GP series antenna and use it for scanning? The GP-6NC I got is very similar to the regular GP6 but it has an N-connector and is tuned for 155/465 MHz instead of 2m/440. So far I certainly feel good about my purchase and can't wait to do more testing after getting it mounted. I would have got the 17ft GP-9 but I didn't want to upset the neighbors too much :D

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I've had a GP-6 up for about 3 or 4 years now. I mainly use it for scanning. I was unaware of the GP-6C or it didn't exist when I ordered. Anyway the GP-6 works great. Its mainly connected to my BC895XLT. I have it mounted about 45-50ft up feed with 9913. No complaints here.

prcguy

I have a few commercial GP-9s and love them for UHF. On VHF the bandwidth is extremely narrow centered at 155MHz. The match in the 156/157MHz marine band or 151/154MHz MURS is so high it would be unusable for transmitting. I have a new spare that I would sell for $100 + shipping, it went to Tanzinia for a job and came back without being used.
prcguy

Wagon63

Premium Subscriber
brandon said:
I purchased a Comet GP-6NC a few months ago and had to wait since it was on backorder. I just received the antenna and got it assembled and did a test run in the backyard and all I can say is WOW!!! I am shocked at how good it picks up signals...certainly blows away any scanner antenna I've used! And right now the antenna isn't even mounted ... I was just holding it a few feet above the ground.

Anyone else own a Comet GP series antenna and use it for scanning? The GP-6NC I got is very similar to the regular GP6 but it has an N-connector and is tuned for 155/465 MHz instead of 2m/440. So far I certainly feel good about my purchase and can't wait to do more testing after getting it mounted. I would have got the 17ft GP-9 but I didn't want to upset the neighbors too much :D

Do you have the Link where it can be purchased?

brandon

Database Admin
I bought it from a company called R&L Electronics (www.randl.com). It took forever to get here since it has to be ordered on request... but definitely worth and it and I thought their service was really good. They even called me to let me know the shipment came in.

I also found HRO sells them on their website, so that might be another option to buy from.

Status
Not open for further replies.