Coming Soon: Dedicated Wireless Broadband for First Responders

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ecn/Pages/default.aspx

Governor Mark Dayton today announced that Minnesota will opt in to FirstNet, the wireless broadband network for first responders.

First responders now use the same commercial networks as the public to send and receive data in emergencies. Often times, those networks become overloaded, especially in emergencies. FirstNet’s reliable broadband would give first responders priority without interruption in an emergency so they can send and receive real-time information quickly.

FirstNet has partnered with AT&T to build, deploy, operate and maintain the secure wireless broadband network for first responders for the next 25 years. ECN will now work with FirstNet and AT&T to develop the network needed for Minnesota’s public safety personnel. Review Gov. Dayton’s opt in letter and accompanying news release.

The State of 911 in Minnesota

Minnesota recently participated in a comprehensive survey that gathered data on the state of the 911 system in 46 states. The 2016 National 911 Progress Report details which states are making strides in planning for and implementing Next Generation 911 (NG911) services.

Minnesota is among the early adopters of NG911 technology that will make statewide Text-to-911 a reality by the end of 2017. NG911 technology is a priority here: As of 2014, all 104 of Minnesota’s 911 dispatch centers are connected to the next generation Emergency Services IP Network. Review Minnesota’s ongoing NG911 initiatives and projects.

The 2016 National 911 Progress Report was compiled by the National 911 Program, which is housed at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a part of the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT).

Here is an example of a Motorola device for FirstNet.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/products/lte-user-devices/lexf10.html#tabproductinfo

HOMEMOTOROLA PRODUCTSLTE DEVICESLEX F10 FIRSTNET SOLUTION
LEX F10 FIRSTNET SOLUTION
Full solution. FirstNet-ready.

FirstNet™ was created so that first responders and agencies can communicate with each other seamlessly. No matter where they’re from or what frequency they use, they can work together in those critical moments when lives hang in the balance.

Is your organization ready for this next generation of public safety? It can be.
The LEX F10, offered specifically for the FirstNet broadband network, is part of a larger family of apps, accessories, and services from Motorola Solutions that give you a complete public safety solution.
Built durable, your team can rely on the LEX F10 in the most challenging environments. It works with your existing fleet and management tools, so you can get up and running easily. It enhances the equipment your team uses today, so you don’t have to invest in new devices tomorrow. And it’s an AT&T-certified Band Class 14 device that’s compatible with the apps and connectivity solutions public safety professionals depend on.

FirstNet is here. Be ready to respond with the LEX F10.
LEX F10 BROCHURE
LEX F10 SPECIFICATIONS
HOW TO BUY
GET SUPPORT
SHARE & CONNECT
PRODUCT INFO
RESOURCES
ACCESSORIES
JUMP TO ...
FEATURES
RELATED PRODUCTS
Features

FirstNet™-ready: Collaborate nationwide
FirstNet™ is developing the first nationwide public safety broadband network to provide first responders with the advanced communication and collaboration they need. As a FirstNet-ready device, the LEX F10 will enable you to leverage federal funding and share in the new vision for nationwide public safety. And since it’s from Motorola Solutions, you’ll be confident knowing your devices are backed by a FirstNet partner.
Designed for public safety: Always ready
The LEX F10 is designed for use in tough, unforgiving environments. Rugged and reliable with a long-lasting battery, it won’t let you down. With an ergonomic design, dedicated push-to-talk and emergency buttons, and a familiar look and feel, the LEX F10 helps you respond to emergencies faster. Designed for use with gloves on and featuring loud, clear audio, the LEX F10 fits into your world. Not the other way around.
Simplified management: Easy to own, provision, and program
What good are great features if they're hard to manage? The LEX F10 fits into your existing system, so it’s easy to own, provision, and program. Choose our Radio Management application or an OMA-DM interface, a cellular industry standard. Activate and provision radios through the Motorola Solutions portal, a simple web-based tool. Whichever platform you use, the LEX F10 adapts easily.
Integrated with your equipment: Work better together
FirstNet was created so everyone in public safety could be better connected—and work better together. It should be the same with your equipment. Use the LEX F10 to control a two-way APX radio that’s secured to your hip or hidden inside a bag, giving you the ability to change channels, receive alerts, or just turn up the volume. Enjoy the wireless freedom of Bluetooth® wireless RSMs, headsets, and other devices. And connect at fast speeds over Wi-Fi—or even create an access point of your own.

Full solution: Everything you need
The LEX F10 is part of a larger productivity platform that will change the way you work—and work together. Use a wide range of Android™ apps designed and tested for public safety personnel. Take advantage of Motorola Solutions’ Public Safety Experience (PSX), a collection of software applications that do everything from streamline your workflow on the scene to assist with incident reports at the station. And talk seamlessly over radios, smartphones, and landlines with FirstNet’s WAVE™ work group communications.

squad1b

Might be a dumb question but in not familiar with FirstNet how will this impact my ability to hear Fire/EMS on my Scanner?.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Might be a dumb question but in not familiar with FirstNet how will this impact my ability to hear Fire/EMS on my Scanner?.
You won't hear any of the FirstNet communications. It is essentially a parallel cellular network to the existing cell phone systems.

How much you'll hear on a scanner will be more dependent on how much the responder world uses FirstNet than anything else. My guess is that areas where FirstNet is implemented will take advantage of the data and telephone capabilities but actual dispatch and operations will most likely stay on some kind of LMR system.

The cost to responder agencies for FirstNet equipment is not going to be small, so migration to it, if and when it comes to life, is a complete unknown at this time.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Firstnet is primarily intended for broadband data communications. There are plans to eventually offer push to talk service on it.

I haven't seen anyone suggest it's going to replace PTT networks in the foreseeable future. Down the road, maybe, but most agencies are smart enough to not put all their communications onto a single system run by a cellular carrier.

dgruber

Plus I don't think everyone would abandon ARMER after spending billions on that system.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

This might be re-explaining what was said in the posts above: As you know most emergency vehicles are equipped with mobile data terminals (computers). These MDTs pass data back and forth between the dispatch center computer, can do records management such as on-line report filing, look-up driver license records and so on.

The "pipeline" between the MDTs and these other servers is an air card that uses the data part of cell service providers such as AT&T or Verizon. Emergency responders "compete" with other cell service customers for access to the system.

As more and more "civilian" customers use smart phones and other devices for data things, such as video streaming, surfing the net, posting on RR forums, etc. this may slow first responder access to the network.

So envisioning the day when emergency responder access for data transfer is hindered due to increased civilian use, a separate data network for only first responder use was "hatched". The name for this was given "First Net" as in first responder network.

Thus the initial use of this system will be for data transfer. Possibly following that would be cellular phone type communications, much for the same reasons - when something "big" happens, its hard to make a cell call. That very thing happened during the 35W bridge collapse, responders were having trouble making cell calls because "everyone" was talking on their phones.

I agree that for the foreseeable future the bulk of voice communications will continue on two way radios.

troymail

Silent Key
It's all kinda dumb given technology.

A couple of things would address the issues such that the existing networks could be used rather than building a complete new and separate system:

- if you have the bandwidth/ability to provide a complete different system with it's own bandwidth, you have the ability to expand the existing cellular system(s); the only reason they want to build a new system is because the government was sold the idea that if we the taxpayers pay for it, they will build a new dedicated system

- have cellular providers actually put towers in such that there is solid coverage everywhere; AT&T provides terrible coverage in the area of my house and they aren't likely to fix it short of selling me something else (like a micro cell tower, etc.); I just read one article that talks about rural areas getting towers where they don't exist today - that is, "we'll build a tower out there but not to provide better cellular coverage for the general population". And, as has been stated, even if push-to-talk is offered in the future, many jurisdictions won't "opt-in" - you already see today that many jurisdictions opt to build their own systems rather than coming on-board to statewide systems - so what make you think they'll opt-in fully to a nationwide system where local control is even further eroded?

- network protocols have for a very long time have had something called "quality of service" functionality - which is many cases goes unused; something like this could be used to provide priority to first responders - even to the extend (possibly) to preempt or limit existing general users to more readily provide access during an emergency.

Improved coverage with existing systems, building in dead spots that lack coverage, and network management/control would provide an overall better solution for everyone and not just first responders. Picture that, given the reasons for "needing" a FirstNet ("cellular networks jammed/overloaded during a crisis/emergency"), for a majority of the time, FirstNet will likely go unused (or at a minimum be very lightly loaded) just like many regional radio systems where the system of choice will continue to be the local county/jurisdiction's own systems and thus be a huge expense to taxpayers with little actually benefiting the taxpayers unless or until there is a major crisis/event.

It's too late - the government has already given the power and control to AT&T.....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Most of this has been addressed, sort of.

- AT&T as well as Verizon are supporting a preemptive access system where the existing spectrum (non-band 14) can be utilized by public safety. This is similar to the WPS service they have for voice. Public safety users can get priority access to bandwidth for data. QOS is one way of doing this, not sure if it's what they are using.

- The idea behind setting aside dedicated bandwidth was that it was "always on, always ready" and didn't require kicking off average customers to make it work.

-Will be interesting to see how they fix coverage. I've been told that adding mobile hot spots to public safety vehicles will be one approach that gets used. That means hand held/portable device coverage isn't the main focus. Having a hotspot in a car with a real antenna will help stretch existing coverage.

-Not sure what AT&T is going to do about the wide areas of the west that have no coverage. I know most of their existing sites will just "turn up" the 700MHz "Band 14" on existing systems, so little cost there. Building out new sites will be very costly, but they are going to need to do some of that. Since there really isn't a "FIrstNet" only cell, these -should- serve all AT&T customers, so they'll probably market that.

-With IOT, machine to machine, and everything else along those lines, cellular carriers, including AT&T will be tapping into a new market, remote monitoring, SCADA, etc.

I have no doubt that AT&T's accountants/bean counters have hammered all this out. A company like AT&T wouldn't lift a finger unless there was profit to be made.
I also won't fool myself into thinking that AT&T isn't going to pop up in a few years (months?) basically saying "this is too hard, we need more taxpayer dollars".

As with most other things, the bottom line won't be a system for public safety, this is about increasing profits. Stockholders will get rich, and public safety will get a system that sort of does what was promised.

troymail

Silent Key
I have no doubt that AT&T's accountants/bean counters have hammered all this out. A company like AT&T wouldn't lift a finger unless there was profit to be made.
I also won't fool myself into thinking that AT&T isn't going to pop up in a few years (months?) basically saying "this is too hard, we need more taxpayer dollars".

As with most other things, the bottom line won't be a system for public safety, this is about increasing profits. Stockholders will get rich, and public safety will get a system that sort of does what was promised.

Agree.

KG5FQT

Actually, by AT&T opting into this, they are required to fill in the "dead" spots, espectialy if there are any main thoroughfairs or first responder stations in the area. And it wont be downtime like yall were saying, customers will be able to use this service also when there arent any emergencies working. And you dont have to buy any new devices right away. Any current ATT device that is on a agency account will be "flagged" as first responder and get the priority on the system. There will be new data/cell plans for these agencies or first responders at a cheaper rate as part of the plan. So You will only have to buy new equipment if you want to be able to use the new band 14. At&T has several benchmarks they have to meet at different milestones over the next few years. If not, they will have to pay fines, so there is some incentive. Also, each state had to be part of first net. So they could either opt into AT&T plan or opt-out and build their own service, which most states dont have the money to do. However, some states do have this or are planning on it and have opted out.

Last edited:

KG5FQT

First Net put the service out for bid several months back. So anyone could have bid on being the cellular provider. Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint , AT&T and several others bid. AT&T won. And they cant come back fo rmore money, it doesnt work like that. There were contracts signed that AT&T obligated themselves into. They have to reach milestones and have to reach so many subscribers. They cant come back for money

troymail

Silent Key
First Net put the service out for bid several months back. So anyone could have bid on being the cellular provider. Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint , AT&T and several others bid. AT&T won. And they cant come back fo rmore money, it doesnt work like that. There were contracts signed that AT&T obligated themselves into. They have to reach milestones and have to reach so many subscribers. They cant come back for money

Sure they can -- we see that happen all the time. Low bids are only to get a foot in the door. After that, anything can happen. When they reach out and say "oh, we need more money", the government finds themselves in a position to either "give in" and pay or end up with a system that is less than they expected.

I've never seen this specific contract but I'm certain it's not a "lifetime" contract - they'll get more at some point one way or they other.....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Actually, by AT&T opting into this, they are required to fill in the "dead" spots, espectialy if there are any main thoroughfairs or first responder stations in the area.

Coverage will not be 100%. FirstNet is working with individual states to determine where coverage is needed, and "everywhere" isn't one of the options. FirstNet has various approaches to coverage. Some of it will be from traditional cell sites. Some will be from high level/higher power sites. Some will be "on demand", as in satellite uplinks brought in as needed. Some weak coverage areas will be covered via hotspots in vehicles via various means of uplinking to the network, including satellite.

It's not going to be easy, and while FirstNet has requirements, AT&T has a long history of finding ways around rules.

Should be interesting when it's all done.

KG5FQT

They most certainly did not. All public info points to only pdvWireless, Rivada Networks, and AT&T as bidders.
I can only tell you whats being told in the meetings I am attending with Firstnet. We were even told that Verizon was possibly looking into legal action over it, so I guess that wasnt true. Just what we were told.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Rivada actually took legal action already and it was shot down. They are now openly competing for RFPs in possible opt-out situations as is Verizon who made an announcement during APCO.

rs989

Premium Subscriber
Firstnet is primarily intended for broadband data communications. There are plans to eventually offer push to talk service on it.

I haven't seen anyone suggest it's going to replace PTT networks in the foreseeable future. Down the road, maybe, but most agencies are smart enough to not put all their communications onto a single system run by a cellular carrier.

Exactly!. When there is an event of proportion the cell towers get overloaded. ARMER has quite of backup systems and Hennepin has a trunking system on wheels to go where an area has lost complete failure and nothing beats radio, even in simplex mode. When the 35W bridge went on cell towers were overloaded but ARMER kept going strong with the interop talkgroups. The only issue was some officers would turn their radios to the interop talkgroups that were along way from the scene that did not affect them. This caused that talkgroup to be on a site like the ones in the boonies that only have a few frequencies for local talkgroups and that bogged them down. Since then that has been corrected so some nosy agency 200 miles away won't be able to drag the traffic from the cities to their sites.

My Verizon phone sometimes takes forever to connect to a tower when there is not much going on. With all the smart phones with 4G LTE with tons of data being used and people ditching land line phones that's an issue. The cell carriers sometimes can't secure locations for new towers just think NIMBY with people worried they will get fried from a cell tower and the look of them. When will FirstNet be operational?, don't hold your breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.