Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel “Mitigating Security Risk to Emerging 5G Networks”

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipfd320

Banned
REMARKS OF COMMISSIONER JESSICA ROSENWORCEL “MITIGATING SECURITY RISKS TO EMERGING 5G NETWORKS”
CENTER FOR STRATEGIC AND INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
WASHINGTON, DC
FEBRUARY 6, 2019

This is a 5 Page Meeting Report so here are a Few Paragraphs

Good afternoon. Thank you to the Center for Strategic and International Studies for gathering us here today for a conversation about security and the next generation of wireless technology—known as 5G.

This discussion is timely. Like up to the minute. In fact, when I began to think about how to start my remarks I kept on coming back to the familiar maxim: “May you live in interesting times.” Do a little digging online and you will find that there is a dispute about its origin. There is one school of thought that claims it is based on an old Chinese curse. But there is another school that suggests its true provenance lies elsewhere, perhaps with a British statesman. Still, the more that I studied this saying—and the dispute about where it came from— the more that I thought that referencing it was an apt way to begin.

These are interesting times. Last week the Department of Justice charged a Chinese equipment manufacturer and its Chief Financial Officer with attempting to steal trade secrets, obstructing a criminal investigation, and evading economic sanctions on Iran. Last year in the National Defense Authorization Act, Congress prohibited executive branch agencies from using or procuring telecommunications equipment or services from companies that are associated with or believed to be owned or controlled by China. In the meantime, key intelligence allies have joined us in restricting such equipment or are considering ways to do so. Closer to home, at the Federal Communications Commission, we have proposed rules that would prohibit the use of universal service funds to purchase equipment or services from companies “identified as posing a national security risk to communications networks or the communications supply chain.”

COMPLETE Meeting Report is at this LINK--> https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-356095A1.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.