• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Compare Pro-97 versus Pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have a friend that is looking to upgrade his RS Pro-24 - 16 channel handheld scanner. While many agencies are transitioning to the digital, this guy cannot afford the Pro-96 or Pro-106 or their base models.I am very familiar with the Pro-97 and think it will serve him well, but I see some Pro-164 units on ebay and the price is much lower.

Will anybody share their experiences with these units so I can help make a good choice? I'd like to have some "hands-on" opposed to a graph or chart.

Thanks,
revboggs - Wheeling / Ohio Valley.

Hey everyone,

I have a friend that is looking to upgrade his RS Pro-24 - 16 channel handheld scanner. While many agencies are transitioning to the digital, this guy cannot afford the Pro-96 or Pro-106 or their base models.I am very familiar with the Pro-97 and think it will serve him well, but I see some Pro-164 units on ebay and the price is much lower.

Will anybody share their experiences with these units so I can help make a good choice? I'd like to have some "hands-on" opposed to a graph or chart.

Thanks,
revboggs - Wheeling / Ohio Valley.
My suggestion is to look at the RR database for the WV/OH area you monitor. If it is conventional and analog trunking, the 164 will be a good scanner. The Shack has the 164 on sale now thru the 31st. The 97 is older and doesn't handle re-banding. The 164 does. Win97 by Don Starr will program both radios. I personally wouldn't trust Ebay for scanners. Lots of refurbs and returned units there.
HTH,
Larry

lehigh4me

Premium Subscriber
Good Morning,

I have had the Pro 97 and still have the Pro 164. I really like the Pro 164. Although it won't do digital. It is a great scanner.
If you have any questions, I will be glad to try to help you out.

Bob

Thanks Larry,

Some agencies have gone digital (OH State agencies and OH county, WV) while others are still using conventional or analog. I just sold my Pro-97 to allow for the new Pro-96. The good info you provided will lean me toward the Pro-164, as it is newer - same software.

As with all auctions, it is "buyer beware". I have had good success on ebay. I am looking to stay around $50 for this guy, so options are very limited. (I may be charitable and go $100, but that is far more than he can afford.)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The only reason to purchase a PRO-97 over the newer models (PRO-164/PSR-300) is if you get it dirt cheap. I love all of these models and run them constantly, but there are subtle differences as well. I also feel that scanners from eBay is not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.