Comparing BCD436HP vs. SDS100 vs. BCD325P2 for GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I own both the 436hp and sds100

I prefer the sds100 not just for extra features but also it required a smaller cable setup if you have usb power in your car either through the power connector or directly in the car

The cable setup is cleaner with the sds100

Between the 436hp and the sds100
The sds100 has a better screen when in the car.

The performance of gps to me works pretty much the same between the two

Another one up for the sds100 is it has a better connector for the gps/computer/charger as the one in the 436 is of cheaper quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And speaking of cables.... In a recent cross-country trip, I used the Globalsat GPS powered by a 3A cigarette lighter plug on the SDS100. Not only did it provide excellent GPS info, it kept the radio charged.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
And speaking of cables.... In a recent cross-country trip, I used the Globalsat GPS powered by a 3A cigarette lighter plug on the SDS100. Not only did it provide excellent GPS info, it kept the radio charged.

Yea mine keeps it charged as well which the 436 did not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

safetyobc

I would go with the SDS100 if going mobile with it. The LCD screen will be much easier to see in the daytime vs the BCD436HP. The LCD on the SDS100 is top notch!

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
I’ve read these and I’m still slightly confused (sorry I’m slow, :)) I have a GPS puck and cable for my BCD436HP. Am I correct that this will not work for the SDS100? It does not appear that the adaptor is compatible. Will I need to get a new GPS puck and adapter for the SDS100?

Trucker700

There is a cable that will adapt to the GPS from Uniden. I believe Hamstation has them as well. (not sure if they are out of stock)
Sorry I don't have a link for you to the exact cable.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
You can save even more money if you get the GPS from Amazon:
Amazon.com: GlobalSat BR-355S4 GPS Receiver (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I bought for $29, it is currently $34.

Note that this item doesn't ship with any additional conversion cables. So the GPS ships with a non-standard mini-din plug. If you are using this with the SDS100, it is no big deal. The mini-din plugs into the Uniden cable and everything works as expected. I have verified that it works.

If you want to use the GPS with another Uniden radio, you'll need a converter cable that converts the mini-din into a standard DB-9. If you can find this cable for less than $30 (and you probably could), then the Amazon is a better deal. But unlike the Uniden packaging, it won't work with other Uniden radios right out of the box.

And just to close the loop, this GPS does output a serial data signal to the scanner. The custom Uniden cable routes this serial signal into a pin inside the SDS's mini USB jack. If you search the Uniden forum, you'll find the thread where someone documents which pin is in use. I preferred to have a turnkey solution from Uniden, since I figured their cable would be more robust that what I could fabricate on my own...

Just found this thread:
https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/376880-sds100-gps-data-interface.html

Thanks to user BigWonton (in third post) for pointing me to the article that describes the pinout for the SDS100 miniUSB. Thread has useful information, so posted that instead of reference...

I have a Garmin GPS18x PC that plugs directly into the GPS port on my 436.
I would like to use this on my SDS100 so is there an adaptor/cable that will do this or do I need a different GPS puck,
either the GlobalSat BR-355S4 and also an adaptor cable or the Uniden BC-GPSK?

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
That will not work as my Garmin GPS18x PC has the plug(I don't know the name of it) that plugs directly into the GPS port on my 436.
It does not have the round DIN plug that the BC-UTGC GPS USB cable has.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
For someone who wants to drive from New Hampshire to Florida with a BCD325P2, is it worthwhile to mess around with GPS pucks or is it better to just program the systems for all the states between NH and FL?

Will the 325P2 even handle having that many channels programmed?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
For someone who wants to drive from New Hampshire to Florida with a BCD325P2, is it worthwhile to mess around with GPS pucks or is it better to just program the systems for all the states between NH and FL?

Will the 325P2 even handle having that many channels programmed?
If using a GPS, then when setting up the programming file, be sure that you also import or enter the location information for each department, and/or tower site for trunked systems. Otherwise, if location is blank, it would never be enabled. But at least, if you have all the location data included in your programming, then the GPS would keep the scanner focused on what is in range.

If you were to just program the entire route, it would slow down scanning so much that you would miss a lot of conversations. You could reduce the wasted time by breaking the trip into sections, like each day's, or half of the day's, itinerary, then control what is active by using Startup Keys. You start the scanner, while holding down the 1 key, and any systems set to that would be the only ones enabled. When you reach the end of that section, press and hold down the 2 key while the scanner is powering up. Again, only the systems that have that startup setting would be scanned.

The 325P2 has "25,000" channels of memory. but some items may use more than one of the 'channels'. As long as you stayed, mostly, with the state agencies (state troopers or highway patrol), plus dispatch frequencies or talkgroups for each county sheriff's office, as well as medium to large city PD dispatch, along with fire/EMS dispatch (for accidents along the way), I suspect you just might be able to cover the more significant happenings along the way. But if you tried to program everything, in each county, you'd exceed the storage limits. This is where the database scanners from Uniden have the advantage. Using an HP series scanner (HP-1/-2, x36HP or SDS), you always have the full database available, and you can let the GPS handle what is enabled and what is not. If you'd rather fine tune what's selected, you can use append to pull the systems from the main database, including location data, then select hat interests you, customize text tags, or anything else, and still let the datbase handle the nuts and bolts of what is active and what is not.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
If using a GPS, then when setting up the programming file, be sure that you also import or enter the location information for each department, and/or tower site for trunked systems. Otherwise, if location is blank, it would never be enabled. But at least, if you have all the location data included in your programming, then the GPS would keep the scanner focused on what is in range.

If you were to just program the entire route, it would slow down scanning so much that you would miss a lot of conversations. You could reduce the wasted time by breaking the trip into sections, like each day's, or half of the day's, itinerary, then control what is active by using Startup Keys. You start the scanner, while holding down the 1 key, and any systems set to that would be the only ones enabled. When you reach the end of that section, press and hold down the 2 key while the scanner is powering up. Again, only the systems that have that startup setting would be scanned.

The 325P2 has "25,000" channels of memory. but some items may use more than one of the 'channels'. As long as you stayed, mostly, with the state agencies (state troopers or highway patrol), plus dispatch frequencies or talkgroups for each county sheriff's office, as well as medium to large city PD dispatch, along with fire/EMS dispatch (for accidents along the way), I suspect you just might be able to cover the more significant happenings along the way. But if you tried to program everything, in each county, you'd exceed the storage limits. This is where the database scanners from Uniden have the advantage. Using an HP series scanner (HP-1/-2, x36HP or SDS), you always have the full database available, and you can let the GPS handle what is enabled and what is not. If you'd rather fine tune what's selected, you can use append to pull the systems from the main database, including location data, then select hat interests you, customize text tags, or anything else, and still let the datbase handle the nuts and bolts of what is active and what is not.

That all makes sense. I think the best course of action would be to selectively program certain agencies (state PD, larger cities, etc). Looks like some work ahead.

Thanks!

danbrew60177

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden GPS and SDS100 cable are $59 if purchased with the SDS100 at BearcatWarehouse. Total price, with free shipping is $708.89:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're doing a multi-state road trip GPS and the main database (x36/SDS) are your best options. The HomePatrol models choke far worse than the x36 models on simulcast, and don't do DMR or NXDN. The -1 doesn't do P25-II either, so it's a particularly poor choice for a road trip. The 325/996 doesn't have enough memory for long road trips.

YMMV, but my estimate is that the 436 will miss on average about 10-20% of traffic the SDS100 receives due to simulcast. But of course that will vary depending on exactly where you drive. The SDS100 will pick up the most traffic, but it is also the most expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.