Compatible GPS Devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calpalmer

Somewhere in the past few days' reading I noticed a list of compatible GPS devices, by name (e.g., Garmin Map60CS), rather than the criteria. Now I cannot find the list here. I want to know if one of my two current GPS is compatible with the 996xt.

Thanks in advance,

Cal

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The 60CSx works well with the XT models, as does the GPS18 (Serial) puck. I use both of these.

Now if Uniden would just build the GPS module inside the handheld, and add the Radioreference database, that would be great...

smittyj77

I have a question, I see alot of GPS receivers that are USB now, does anyone now if i can use a usb to D9 RS232 cable?

Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
No. Those devices do not output standard NMEA 0183 (which specifies RS232). They are also USB clients, as are the converter cables. USB clients must connect to USB hosts (i.e. PCs) running the appropriate drivers.

Robert721

Premium Subscriber
Is one GPS better than another on the CST? Scanner Master was sending out Garmin GPS 18x PC and now they are sending out Spectrumforce SF-GPS1. The new Spectrumforce does have a longer cable which is good for me.Have not installed the 996xt mobile yet.

Last edited:

DonS

No. Those devices do not output standard NMEA 0183
Some of them do emit NMEA 0183 sentences: USGlobalSat BU-353
(which specifies RS232).
NMEA 0183 doesn't specify "RS232". It specifies an asynchronous serial interface, with a differential data connection (i.e. closer to '422 than '232). Additionally, NMEA 0183 allows for multiple listeners, while '232 is point-to-point (only two devices).

I would hazard that most of the consumer GPS devices, even those with a "serial port", don't conform to NMEA 0183: they have single-ended serial ports that closely resemble EIA-232, rather than the specified differential port. More expensive units (e.g. Garmin GPSMAP 4000/5000 series) might actually conform to NMEA 0183, with the required differential ports.

They are also USB clients, as are the converter cables. USB clients must connect to USB hosts (i.e. PCs) running the appropriate drivers.
That's the biggest hurdle. In general, you cannot connect a USB device to another USB device - you need a USB host somewhere. ("In general" does not include "USB OTG" devices, of course).

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I was assuming that smittyj was referring to a PND type GPS device. You could probably hack into that puck and grab the signal before it goes into their PL2303 chip (same USB-->Serial chip we use in the USB-1). Actually, I would expect PNDs have the NMEA signal somewhere in their guts, too, but figuring out where to hack in to tap the data would be a trick (and a warranty defeating one, at that).

Yep, I was being "lay" with RS232 rather than precise for the purpose of brevity.

We've looked at the On-The-Go option, but it really limits you to a single compatible device (or maybe a small handful) with no simple ability for forward compatibility...if your compatible device is discontinued, the port quickly loses its utility.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
They make a GPS 18 OEM that is unterminated. Down side is you have to solder on your own connector. Up side is that you can do that soldering after routing the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.