• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Computer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

de784

Looking for a new PC where what do you guys suggest? Wife wants to have some one build it not to fond of that idea just looking for some ideas.
Thanks

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I've been involved in computers since 1978, and worked in the IT field for almost 25 years. I used to build my own, but parts are getting so expensive, it's actually cheaper to buy one already built. I bought an Acer (which I never would have considered in the past), with an Intel Core 2 Quad processor. All the parts are generic, nothing is proprietary. So when things go wrong I can buy parts off the shelf, rather than have to rely on any one vendor. It's been rock solid stable. I recommended it to a buddy of mine and he bought one also. No problems, works great.

I'm still running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, which is something else I thought I'd never do. I was going to remove Vista, and install XP Pro on it as soon as I got it. But I decided to give Vista a try, and I'm still using it. I turned off a lot of the Vista eye candy, and gave it the look and feel of standard Windows.

hoser147

Ive had 2 built and both places went out of business. They are still runnin thou. My Uncle need one and bought an Acer like Great Lakes did and loves it............Hoser

RC54730

de784 said:
Looking for a new PC where what do you guys suggest? Wife wants to have some one build it not to fond of that idea just looking for some ideas.
Thanks
To give you a really honest opinion - I used to really favor building my own, but if you're not the ubergeek type and really don't want the hassle of dealing with returns, driver issues, etc. it makes way more sense to just go to DELL and get a new PC.

I finally gave up on building them this year, after a particularly aggravating experience with the ASUS M2N32 motherboards. Although I love having higher quality components, and having a somewhat better upgrade path, the trouble that I've been having with a lot of hardware lately has driven me over to DELL now; it used to be that I'd order all the parts, spend saturday slapping it all together and be off and running, but now it seems that half the parts don't work or fry out overnight, and I end up on the return/exchange treadmill for the next couple of weeks. Way to much hassle...

Dell builds pretty good machines, and the high-end XPS boxes are very nice. One down side is that, despite looking cool on their website, those machines don't have a nice air filtration system on the front - they're basically wide open so you need to build your own air filter for them. Apart from that, they're rock solid and, at least from my experience, worth every penny.

Hope that helps.

RC54730

GreatLakes said:
I've been involved in computers since 1978, and worked in the IT field for almost 25 years. I used to build my own, but parts are getting so expensive, it's actually cheaper to buy one already built. I bought an Acer (which I never would have considered in the past), with an Intel Core 2 Quad processor. All the parts are generic, nothing is proprietary. So when things go wrong I can buy parts off the shelf, rather than have to rely on any one vendor. It's been rock solid stable. I recommended it to a buddy of mine and he bought one also. No problems, works great.

I'm still running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, which is something else I thought I'd never do. I was going to remove Vista, and install XP Pro on it as soon as I got it. But I decided to give Vista a try, and I'm still using it. I turned off a lot of the Vista eye candy, and gave it the look and feel of standard Windows.
Vista tends to grow on you. I wasn't real sure about it at first, but now that I've been using it for a year or so it's very nice. A little hard finding the right drivers for certain things, but otherwise it's a very stable platform and relatively easy to work with.

z96cobra

de784 said:
Thanks

What do you want to use it for? If you are just going to use it to type papers, balance checkbook, online banking and surfing the net, then buy a pre-built system. If you are going to game or do video encoding or similar or even plan on upgrading later, I would build my own. Been building my own for over 15 years now, doubt I'll ever buy another pre-built unless it is a really good deal! The problem you run into with the pre-built computers is that they sometimes have proprietary components, so you cant just go to MicroCenter or Frys and buy upgrade parts.

Just my $.02,
Roger

de784

pc

looking for something for all around purpose for the every day stuff and then to do some gaming.
Thanks

jb872033

I agree with the people who like acer...i picked up a laptop on sale at best buy from them...I am satisfied with it...i build my own too but the acer is a nice laptop for under $500...so far so good...i wouldnt have given acer a 2nd look but i really couldnt find any huge difference between them and other models aside from branding...

JB

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
de784 said:
looking for something for all around purpose for the every day stuff and then to do some gaming.
Thanks
Ah, well then you definitely should go the pre-built route. These days, building your own machine is only cost effective when you start building servers and ultra high powered gaming machines that require their own refrigeration units. Hell the cost of a stand alone copy of Vista Ultimate is higher than some PC's you can get these days with Vista already preloaded!

Shop around, theres some great deals to be had thanks to the slowing economy - the big stores are desperate to attract consumers right now, especially those looking to buy traditionally pricey electronics such as computers and HDTV's.

-AZ

dangitdoug

I found a good deal on ubid.com.
Dell Optiplex
3g Processor
512 mg ram
120 gig hard drive
Windows XP Pro
Manufacturer refurb
$124.00

I get it tomorrow via UPS.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
dangitdoug said:
I found a good deal on ubid.com.
Dell Optiplex
3g Processor
512 mg ram
120 gig hard drive
Windows XP Pro
Manufacturer refurb
$124.00

I get it tomorrow via UPS.
Nice find! Optiplex is Dell's high-end system. :)

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Have Dell build it.

Go with their XPS series system and just take it easy on the options and you will find the prices are competitive if not excellent.

I can not say it enough. INTEL processor. Dont sweat over the speed or anything too much. More memory is always better than having "the fastest" processor. If it is an option, get an Intel motherboard too. The AMD built processors may be faster for a cheaper price and can be hot rodded, but they fail too often for my tasts.
2+GB of ram Get as much RAM as you can afford.

Harddrives are cheap, so get a bit more than you think you need, but dont go overboard and put any money saved here into the RAM.

save money where you can by eliminating old "legacy" stuff you dont need from the order like dial-up modem if you have broadband, 3.5" floppy disc, dedicated CD/DVD read only drive in addition to the CD/DVD recordable drive can all be elliminated depending on your legacy needs. Drop the crappy stock speakers if you already have decent ones. The same goes for mouse and keyboard. Each item dropped will save you between $5-$30 each, so that gives you more money for RAM.

Software packages: well most of their packages suck. So just get windows unless you have to have a Vista compatable Mahjong.

DO NOT TAKE NORTON ANTI VIRUS. OR MACAFFE. They are resource-hogging apps that do little. I think the trend-micro option is excellent tho.

Monitor. Your going to be looking at it all the time. Get a good one. Go wide aspect ratio. Dell makes pretty nice monitors.

vid card. Dont get the cheapest. Dont get the most expensive.

Warranty: up to you, but most of the time these things are a ripoff and if you are better off putting the extended warranty money into more solid components like an intel mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.