Comtelco All-Band Low-Profile Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlevin312

Premium Subscriber
I saw this antenna on Scanner Master, does anyone use it and if so how well does it work? I'll be using it on a mag mount with my psr 500 to monitor from 151 mhz up through 800 mhz?

Any info would be appreciated.

prcguy

The selling point for the Spectra is the long whip for VHF low band, which is not mentioned by the original poster. The Spectra is at least twice the cost of a a Comtelco, Maxrad or Larsen.
prcradio
moonies said:
if that is the range of your listening request then try the austin spectra which is a mag-mount and works VERY well!!!!!

mlevin312

Premium Subscriber
Atuually I am looking for something "low profile". I do surveillance work and it will be mounted on the trunk.

mjthomas59

I've heard great reviews on the Comtelco and the Maxrad, Antenex, and Larsen equivelants. I'm not sure how they all compare price wise, but any of the Tri-Band antennas by those manufacturers will suit your needs well.

That being said be careful putting antennas on your rig if you are doing "surveillance". You know your job better than anyone, but i can tell you from experience that having an odd antenna on your car is a dead give away to most "professional criminals" and when you start rolling through the "ghetto". Its a good way to blow your cover, or atleast draw attention to yourself, whether its called "low-profile" or not.

I'd personally stick with an internal antenna, or even the dreaded am/fm coupler(although i don't recommend them for anything but undercover work) The RS800 antenna would do pretty well for your needs or a a Diamond RH77ca. I don't know your exact needs, but that is another option for you.

You don't want to blow your cover for the slight improvement of a mag-mount.

Good luck and be safe!

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
mlevin312 said:
I saw this antenna on Scanner Master, does anyone use it and if so how well does it work? I'll be using it on a mag mount with my psr 500 to monitor from 151 mhz up through 800 mhz?

Any info would be appreciated.

I work with 4 scanners nightly, primarily monitoring 150/450/460/800.... two, a PRO 95 (just for trunked systems) and a PRO 97 (primarily conventional) are attached to external antennae--the 95 on an old 800 meg cell fone antenna and the 97 to a Valor PMM3B now mounted in an old Rat Shack scanner antenna mount (because the mag mount on the original died)... the PMM3B looks like a cell fone antenna and is very discrete... However, I keep a PRO 96 hanging around my neck with a Rat Shack 800 meg antenna--very seldom miss anything inside the car, the 396 lays on the seat or is in my pocket when outside, it sports a Diamond RH77CA and I seldom miss anything with it inside the car either (although the 77CA isn't as solid with 800 meg)... unless you are monitoring low-powered wires or something of that ilk you should be ok, but even then you can remove your stock vehicle antenna and place a BNC or SMA receptacle on the fender in its place and use your new RH77 in its place to get outside your vehicle and not attract a lot of attention....

af5rn

moonies said:
if that is the range of your listening request then try the austin spectra which is a mag-mount and works VERY well!!!!!
The Spectra is the farthest thing you can get from "low profile" or discrete! It is a monstrosity. And mine (on a mag mount) doesn't work any better than my stock rubber duck. Eighty bucks wasted, if you ask me.

Melvin, if "low profile" is your overriding concern, if the rubber duck won't do the job, and if for some reason you cannot go with a true undercover antenna ( http://www.sti-co.com/ ), then personally, I'd go with a glass mount, cellular look-alike scanner antenna, also available from Scanner Master. It works well in an urban or suburban environment (with relatively close system proximity), and it's about the closest thing you can get to "low profile" for surveillance work.

Last edited:

n5tkn

af5rn said:
The Spectra is the farthest thing you can get from "low profile" or discrete! It is a monstrosity. And mine (on a mag mount) doesn't work any better than my stock rubber duck. Eighty bucks wasted, if you ask me.

Melvin, if "low profile" is your overriding concern, if the rubber duck won't do the job, and if for some reason you cannot go with a true undercover antenna ( http://www.sti-co.com/ ), then personally, I'd go with a glass mount, cellular look-alike scanner antenna, also available from Scanner Master. It works well in an urban or suburban environment (with relatively close system proximity), and it's about the closest thing you can get to "low profile" for surveillance work.

Can you recommend a good reseller of Sti-Co's products? They have a longggg list online, many without websites and most of the ones I've checked so far that have websites, have websites that are basically "call or email us"... they've never heard of e-commerce? Sheesh! I'm needing good low profile antennas for the subdivision I've moved into, and they seem to have some good products that might fit the scanning side of my bill.

Nasby

You may have to call a local radio shop and have them order the St-Co antenna for you. Be ready to for out $400.00 plus dollars.

n5tkn

Thanks, I'll check them out. I'm wanting a really good mobile scanner antenna that picks up primarily 800, and also VHF Hi (450 is nice but not necessary). I currently use a Comtelco whip for 800, and its better than what I've used before, but could be better and the VHF performance of course is marginal (to be expected, really). I've considered running a duplexer to run separate antennas, if I can find one that will do the necessary frequencies. Any recommendations along that line would be helpful.

Matt

prcguy

I know the guys that make these, its a compromise antenna for surveillance vehicles and your not going to get any performance from an insulated license plate hanging below a bumper.
prcguy
pappy1 said:
I use the license plate antenna and it works great and range is almost as good as the stinger I used before.

You can get it here: http://www.licenseplateantenna.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.