Confidential Frequency List

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman

When I got into this hobby a number of years ago, I purchased this book. It was extremely helpful to me. As years go by, frequencies have changed. I see that this book was last printed in 2003. Are there any other books similar to this one out there? I am not having any luck in finding one.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes I remember when the CFL was still being published by the late Perry Ferrell; Perry died in a car crash on the Connecticut turnpike some years back, and someone else took over - but it died out shortly thereafter.

The Klingenfuss guide is very good, from all that I've heard about it (and I've had a few of these guides), however you must keep in mind that he has a definitive anti-US bias in certain places (it's been well recognized for many years), and that affects the accuracy of his US listings. It is extensively researched, and probably the best one (barring an expensive subscription to some professional databases) on the market today

best regards...Mike

Last edited:

gcgrotz

Doesn't somebody at "Monitoring Times" maintain a list like that? I know there is a Fed Files column. I know that some of their contributors watch RR forums.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Do you mean this list - it's several years old, and probably needs some updates...

index

best regards..Mike

Token

I have several CFLs, from the 2nd edition on, looking at the old data can be interesting and some frequencies are still in use by the same users, 30+ years later. But keep in mind that because of the nature of these signals the frequencies/users had often changed before you got the printed book into your hands, and since the books could run for years per edition the data was often very old. Don't get me wrong, it was a great resource, pretty much the best that could be found at the time, but there were some limitations. Today, with the web, there are more up-to-date sources to be found.

There is not one all-complete source of data for these kinds of signals. Most often your best bet is to look at several resources and use a bit of common since to filter the data.

In my opinion one of the best single resources for this kind of information is the NSA bot in the #wunclub IRC chat room. It has years of reported data, most of it with dates of submission so that you can decide if it is recent enough to apply to what you might be hearing. But the data is only as good as the people contributing. If no one contributes the data goes stale, if someone puts in bad data then it can mislead others later.

T!

lawman

Thanks for the responses. I thought I might be out of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.