confirmation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

geraldw3210

Hello everyone.

ok so im on the air making some contacts, and logging them in Lotw for upload. I am trying too work towards some awards, WAS, WAZ and such.

Do i need too ask the contacts for a confirmation? QSl i think or send a request from lotw or qrz

thank you

edweirdFL

If the operators you contacted are also using LoTW and they log your QSO with the correct information, you will see the LoTW system change what you logged from a QSO to a QSL automatically as it matches up the entries from both operators.

Unless you link an account on QRZ with LoTW, you must enter QSOs on QRZ and then the only way they are conformed is if the other operator also enters the same QSO with the correct info in QRZ's logbook.

If you choose to link your LoTW account to your QRZ logbook, you can import contacts from LoTW to QRZ as well as confirmations. You can also export contacts from QRZ's logbook to LoTW but note that a confirmation on QRZ does NOT count on LoTW, but confirmations on LoTW DO count on QRZ. I have my logbooks setup this way.

Each award program is otherwise independent of each other.

QRZ's award program does not use paper QSL cards in any fashion.
ARRL's award programs do support the use of paper QSL cards which can be used along with LoTW confirmed contacts (QSLs) for awards.

This is a high level summary. You'll want to read the rules and instructions for each logging platform, and each award program for the specifics.

I've chosen to only use electronic logging and avoid paper QSLs but there are many in the hobby that choose to only use paper logs and QSL cards. ARRL has launched a new grid based challenge that starts in 2018 that *might* motivate some of them to use LoTW since it's a requirement for participation but we will have to see if that's the case.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Gerald
Some of us only confirm contacts the old, slow way with a traditional, mailed QSL card. I happen to be old fashion'd - 'quaint' may be a better term... but that's me- I do no computer verifications.
Over the years I have received thousands of cards- and I will mail back mine in return - I have long since ceased to mail any out initially, however.
QSL'ing is-- Was? -- a fine art in ham radio. Talking to Eastern Kafiristan is great; but it will remain kind'a empty if its just a line of code in some data base- Now if you have a QSL *card* from Kafiristan, on your "shack' wall- that confirmation will become infinitely more personal.
There is a fine art to getting QSL confirmations- and as a DX station, on the receiving "other side," I could write you a book on the do's and don't. If you're considering sending out cards, I'd highly suggest researching the techniques---

But in the meantime, don't over look this fun aspect- collecting cards- of ham radio. You can relive your memorable QSO's and friendships, years and years later, by a simple glance through your collection. :)
.....................CF

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
With the new digital databases for QSLing... dominated by LoTW now... I hope the QSL cards never go away. I always enjoy seeing someone's shack with the walls all papered with QSL cards. Our club did an event with an excursion railroad this summer and actually operated 20M and 40M from the moving train. The RR gave us a flatcar to use and we designed / installed a dual-band magnetic loop antenna for 20 and 40. We had a special callsign and sent out Special Event QSL cards.... which I've learned are very popular. Had a great pic of the engine and train on the card. HOWEVR, I will note that I think two things are going to drive more LoTW usage: 1) the ARRL International Grid Chase that begins in January, and 2) the FT8 digital mode (part of WSJT-X software). I'm running a lot of FT8 QSOs lately and have noticed that almost every station QSLs via LoTW, and often in the same day of the QSO. The software (WSJT-X) writes an .adi logfile and it can be uploaded directly to LoTW. So the usual chase for a QSL doesn't exist if you're after awards. And ARRL will be using LoTW to determine leader boards and rankings on a monthly basis for the International Grid Chase in 2018. Still, I'd hate to see printed cards disappear.

SCPD

QRT
There is no gainsaying that as technology advances, it is unreasonable to suppose that it wouldn't affect confirming ham radio contacts as well. I agree that if someone is pursing the 'Wall Paper'... certificates like WAS, WAC's etc., it makes the process infinitely easier than the old Postal Posted QSL cards. I guess in the end, for that, its not so much confirming the individual contact as getting the requisite number of appropriate boxes filled for that certificate. There is nothing new here; since Marconi- hams have been chasing the wall paper- and the QSL cards of old were simply submitted for verification, the certificate issued, the cards returned---- thence to reside forever hidden away in some shoe box.
I can't count the number of cards I have received as DX with something like this written on them:
"PLEASE ! QSL, I need your card to complete my certificate for Work All Goat Island"
The request wasn't about anything personal we talk'd about (they never are,).... nothing about our QSO- they just want'd a box to be check'd off for that certificate.
I must say, in cases like that (which were a good percentage) I (or my QSL manager) would send back a card.....usually--- but it had better be SASE if domestic, or contain some 'green stamps' if foreign**
If it was a cheap, single colour'd card received, filled out in an illegible ball point'd scrawl, not in an envelope- all smeared with Postal cancellation inks-- One guess as to That confirmation's outcome.......
Oh the other hand, I am not above seeing a commercial aspect to all this--
On a work trip that placed my friend and I on a very rare, remote sand pile in the Pacific- she suggested we set up an automated 20 metre station.. CW maybe- that would automatically QSO then confirm the island, send out a confirmation card, maybe LoTW, etc......... once the Credit Card had clear'd ! (Visa, MC, Discover...... ;) )
I love my friend, but said a firm "No" ( she was just kidding, but others have done this seriously-- that sort of that Pay to Play in a hobby like this is deplorable.)
If I was going to sum this up (and I better; my lunch time for play is about up) I'd say use the computer loggings if all you want is some impersonal confirmation of some "wham bam" "....KN2XXX 59......QRZ...." contact. If you're not into that (which gets very old very fast, btw) get some really nice, unique cards printed, --- save them and send them out to the people that count. Hopefully hams mature as they grow with their hobby, --and paper chasing fades in importance..... :)
............................CF
**I know these terms may be unfamilar to new hams: SASE- 'self address'd stamp'd envelope'............"Green Stamps?"--- US dollar bills.
Brutal, - true,-- but sending out cards becomes quite expensive. I am sorry to inform some out there, but cards from the 'lower 48' states just don't mean much to some of us- that is, unless they are really neat in their designs... or personal, or something that makes them unique (for instance--I have had some- like the one that arrived with a case of French Wine- the sender was so eager and appreciative to have finally been able to check off the last contact requirement for his rare DX certificate. I remember'd that gentleman's QSO; it was a very friendly chat-- and he Certainly ! received his QSL card- along with a number of momento's from that location... :) )
And what have I done with the cards I've received?.. I have 3 post'd on the kitchen bulletin board in New Mexico, and three others in Colorado, above a modest little Icom transceiver-- they are all works of art, mostly Japanese-- I display them in fond rememberance of friendship QSO' -- and for the beautiful art they are.

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Most guys and gals will QSL electronically now a days.. I use EQSL, QRZ, and LOTW. But also have a stack of cards ready.. If I get one, I send one. Regardless of electronic QSL status..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AC2OY

Hi Gerald

One of the coolest things about Amateur Radio is sending and receiving and collecting QSL cards. I do eQsl,LOTW....but I love sending and receiving actual post cards from folks. If I ever work you mention this thread and I will gladly send you a card!

KC5AKB

Hi Gerald
Some of us only confirm contacts the old, slow way with a traditional, mailed QSL card. I happen to be old fashion'd - 'quaint' may be a better term... but that's me- I do no computer verifications.
Over the years I have received thousands of cards- and I will mail back mine in return - I have long since ceased to mail any out initially, however.
QSL'ing is-- Was? -- a fine art in ham radio. Talking to Eastern Kafiristan is great; but it will remain kind'a empty if its just a line of code in some data base- Now if you have a QSL *card* from Kafiristan, on your "shack' wall- that confirmation will become infinitely more personal.
There is a fine art to getting QSL confirmations- and as a DX station, on the receiving "other side," I could write you a book on the do's and don't. If you're considering sending out cards, I'd highly suggest researching the techniques---

But in the meantime, don't over look this fun aspect- collecting cards- of ham radio. You can relive your memorable QSO's and friendships, years and years later, by a simple glance through your collection. :)
.....................CF

I like the cards and will do some on line stuff.
But if you want a card send ,me a note or qsl card or Ask for one during the qso. CF you hit the nail on the head about the card on the wall.

n5ims

While I agree 100% with what has been said about eQSL, LoTW, and similar software (and qrz.com for your contact information) you should consider having an account for each of the similar products since some hams use one while others use another so if you're only on one you'll end up missing the confirmations for those that use the other sites.

Some stations QSL using only specific methods (directly to their station's address, through a QSL manager, through a QSL bureau, etc.) and if so will specify how they expect to receive any QSLs on their qrz.com (or similar site) profile. This is especially important for DX stations that may have their QSL manager handle all of their QSL processing (if you don't send it to the manager, you'll never get one in return). The DX station may use various QSL managers for various regions of the world to save cost and cut down on governmental red tape so be sure to use the one for your region!

The other thing to remember is that most folks that send physical QSL cards only do so in two situations, 1) they REALLY REALLY want a QSL from that station or 2) they got a physical QSL card sent to them from a station so they are returning the favor by sending one back. To maximize your chances of receiving a card, send one to them first!

WA8ZTZ

Just something about a real paper QSL card that you can hold in your hand and recollect your radio past.

Have a shoebox full of old QSLs here that bring back some memories as far back as being a SWL kid with a kit regen SW set. Got cards from stations and countries that no longer exist. Got a verification of a Pan American Clipper flight somewhere in the Caribbean with business card of the PAA Communications Supt. attached... pretty cool stuff for a kid back when. Some years later as a Ham, got a card with a nice note from a novice thanking me for the QSO... was her first contact. Got other cards with personal notes from Ham buddies who are now SK.

Just something about a real paper QSL card...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.