conflicting Hytera information

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

I have spent a fun morning diving into XPT DMR Hytera & Tier 3. My adventure began when I received a custom search hit on a frequency indicating a DMR system, flashing as XPT. I began to research XPT since I was not familiar with it. I have found information indicating it represents a system of Hytera, some information claims XPT is an encrypted system. In researching Hytera, information indicates that Hytera is a Tier 3 system. Tier 3 is available as our DMR upgrade.
So I am looking for a definitive answer to the question, is XPT always encrypted? Or is encryption on XPT-Hytera-Tier 3 at the choice of the system owner?
Sometimes people like specifics, the frequency is 461.6000 A ULS search shows an Asheville North Carolina license holder as Mission Hospital System, (WPLR301), emissions designator 7K60FXE. In the last ten minutes I have recorded 6 different color codes while parking the 536 on 461.6000 in a custom search hold. I have run this particular system as a conventional system. It simply parks on 461.6000. I have created The system as a TRBO system and ran the analyzer for a few hours with no LCN found, I have also created the system as a One Frequency system, with no success. This particular hit has produced no audio, and certainly acts as an encrypted system. Thank you for your help, Lance

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
anybody else think its odd he is getting multiple color code hits?
The systems i have found around my area all seem to have only 1 color code per system. Often times the same radio shop will use the same color code on different systems. I actually kind of like that idea of a shop using one color code. But thats just me.
From what ive read the XPT trunking Hytera has uses a standard IP switch to connect all the repeaters, each repeater has its own controller to operate it in DMR or XPT trunking mode. So if a switch fails it can still be used as a single channel repeater.

AlphaFive

Hytera

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it. I am going to preface my next question regarding this with the statement that I believe the 536HP is top notch, I couldn't be happier with the radio. It provides as much versatility as I could want. but,,,,, In trying to learn what Hytera is, it appears Hytera is a separate entity just as Motorola is a separate entity. It appears Motorola has Mototrbo, Hytera has XPT.
Okay, clearly the 536 receives Mototrbo, but I cannot locate anything specific that indicates the 536 receives Hytera. I do not mean this to be negative, but I would like to know, does the unit receive Hytera? Thank you for your help.

AlphaFive

Hytera

Thank you for that. Haaaa, hahh it figures, I'm in a scanning wilderness outpost in Asheville, but yet here comes Hytera. That's okay, life is good.

MSS-Dave

Quick answer is NO.

secondary is - very few Hytera in the US.
Your quick answer isnt quite correct at no. It will receive conventional DMR which Moto and Hytera and others do. It will not receive Hytera XPT as that is a trunking format similar to Motorola Capacity Plus but proprietary to Hytera. Hytera's Tier 3 offering is another completely different trunking format than XPT. Nothing the same at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
It will not receive Hytera XPT as that is a trunking format similar to Motorola Capacity Plus but proprietary to Hytera.
Obviously you can't answer this on behalf of Uniden, but in your opinion, does it seem likely that Hytera XPT could eventually be included in the firmware? I believe I'm also seeing an XPT linked system near my location. All of their talkgroups appear to be encrypted, and my radio will still play the garbled encrypted audio in conventional mode, but I'm still curious if I may eventually be able to monitor unencrypted XPT systems, in your opinion.

MSS-Dave

In a technical opinion, anything is possible but I don't think Uniden I would include or develop XPT monitoring just because it is such a small part of the market. You'll probably find first support if there isn't already in dsdplus or one of the other software-driven programs that use an SDR receiver.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
In a technical opinion, anything is possible but I don't think Uniden I would include or develop XPT monitoring just because it is such a small part of the market. You'll probably find first support if there isn't already in dsdplus or one of the other software-driven programs that use an SDR receiver.

The next common upgrade would be for Tier 3 systems as that is the next common system with Motorola's release of their next generation (and highly overpriced) Capacity Max. So now most of the DMR vendors (Motorola, Tait/Harris, Simoco, Sepura) have a semi-standard Tier 3 offering.

Of the DMR systems I've seen and/or helped engineer, they have been either Motorola's Capacity Plus (pseudo-trunking) or a Tier III offering from Simoco or Tait here in the US. Now Connect Plus had a successful run but with Capacity Max, Motorola doesn't have much incentive to continue support for Connect Plus for an extended amount of time.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Obviously you can't answer this on behalf of Uniden, but in your opinion, does it seem likely that Hytera XPT could eventually be included in the firmware? I believe I'm also seeing an XPT linked system near my location. All of their talkgroups appear to be encrypted, and my radio will still play the garbled encrypted audio in conventional mode, but I'm still curious if I may eventually be able to monitor unencrypted XPT systems, in your opinion.

It's interesting that Whistler seems to support XPT...

https://whistlergroup.com/collections/scanner-radios/products/trx-1-digital-scanner-radio

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Motorola has Mototrbo, Hytera has XPT.

This is not a true statement. Mototrbo is simply the Motorola name for DMR, a standard from the ETSI group in Europe. Hytera makes very good DMR radios and use the DMR name, XPT is a separate entity from regular DMR tiers 1 and 2, just as Capacity Plus is a Motorola addition to DMR. While the Hytera radios are very high quality (unlike the Tytera brand lower quality), they are not cheap. The big advantage is that Hytera software and firmware upgrades are easily available and far less expensive or even free in some situations.

MSS-Dave

Hmmmm, very cool if the TRX does support XPT, especially multisite XPT systems. I don't scan, haven't owned a scanner so to speak in 20 years. I set up and maintain a 3 channel single site XPT system now as well as part of a large NexEdge system so may have to look at the TRX as another tool to monitor my networks in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.