Confused???Frequency/Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjinndoawi

Ok, which do I program into my scanner Input or Frequency? It is saying (Frequency=450.38750) And (Input=455.30000) Which one do I need to hear both sides of the conversion? The there are some of the listings I am looking at and it just has (Frequency=150.2500) why no Input? Any help would be great.

Spec

In the UHF 450 mHz frequency range the "input" frequency is the link to the repeater "output". In this range the repeater output is 5 mHz lower than the input on paired repeater frequencies. The lower frequency is the frequency that will normally repeat all the conversations. On frequencies above 470 mHz the repeater pairs are only 3 mHz apart and again the repeater output is the lower frequency.

Last edited:

bezking

You should use frequency, not input. Like spec said, the input is for radios to talk to the repeater.

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
these people are wrong, well they're not wrong, they're just not 100% correct

it really all depends on the "system" your listening to

if your listening to the nebraska state patrol, or another system like theirs, you will NEED both the frequency and the input to hear both sides of the conversation

it just depends on what you're listening to

Last edited:

mjthomas59

jakegday said:
these people are wrong, well they're not wrong, they're just not 100% correct

it really all depends on the "system" your listening to

if your listening to the nebraska state patrol, or another system like theirs, you will NEED both the frequency and the input to hear both sides of the conversation

it just depends on what you're listening to

Exactly! There are plenty of systems listed in the database that list the output and input frequencies. That doesn't mean that every system is repeated, in fact i know of quite a few county systems and statewide systems in my area that aren't. I always program both, there will be times where hearing the mobile radio will come in clearer than the repeater. Regardless you need the output for hearing dispatch. Put in both and if for some reason you don't need the input frequency you can just hit L/O.

n2mdk

That's why you should look at the Type listed in the database if it says RM you know it should be a repeater and the input isn't needed.

Sjinndoawi

ok

Thanks guys. One more.. So I will program both input and frequency. So if my input is 455.30000 and my frequency is 450.38750 and I want to put them all in (many inputs and frequencies). how do I put them in..in number sequence or as they are paired?

btritch

I usually do it as they are paired but if it's not used to hear both sides of the conversation and it's just used as talkaround then it doesn't really matter but on the other hand if they DO use them for both conversations then I'd pair them, so that if you need them they'll be close otherwise time it scans to it you might miss it..
Until you find out for sure how it works, I'd pair them up, output input, output input, output input, etc..
IF you have enough channels. If not just enter a few of the busy ones such as PD until you find out... Hope this helps!

SkipSanders

Silent Key
AAaannnd, just for the final confusion, even though it's not recommended practice to do this, some systems will use the repeater 'input' as a 'secret' tactical or car to car channel by having the units talk on the input with no CTCSS/DCS, so the repeater doesn't come up.

The FBI used to be well known for this little trick. ATF used to do it, too. They hope you'll 'know' there's no reason to listen to the 'input' frequency instead of the 'output' one.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It depends on the agency you are listening to

n2mdk said:
That's why you should look at the Type listed in the database if it says RM you know it should be a repeater and the input isn't needed.
Again, NOT 100% correct. Some agencies use their repeater input frequency for low power close range communications by switching CT/DC frequencies (which keeps the repeater from keying). It depends on the agency you are listening to.

ibagli

In my area, there are two FD repeaters I can't always get, but I can always pick up the dispatches on the input, so there's some utility in having them programmed for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.