Confused in Sandoval County

Status
Not open for further replies.

badlans

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed that the Sandoval County Fire service has two dispatch frequencies. It's not immediately obvious to me why there are two. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Right now, I'm monitoring 151.3025 mHz, and that seems to carry most of the traffic. Also, if anyone has any pointers for other info on monitoring Sandoval County public safety, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
A few years ago work was started to revamp the radio system and they ran out of $. Recent election approved finishing the project. In the meantime, part is simulcast, part is on secondary (north) channel due to mountain coverage. There are currently two primary channels for each Fire and LE. First is main, another is primarily north county. Paging on fire is frequently split, too. Usually no cross-patch on the mobiles, frequent simulcast on bases, but not always. Dispatch can hear mobiles on both main and north systems, but mobiles hear only the system they've selected. Occasional havoc is heard as a result.

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
If you want coverage for activity in the northern half of the county, you will have to also include 151.235 and 155.145. It varies, but starting about San Ysidro up through Cuba, etc., those are where you'll hear the northern municipalities and SO as coverage varies.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I forget the NAC but detention and prisons are running full AES last I was out that way. Haven't heard a peep of analog on the jail channels.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed that the Sandoval County Fire service has two dispatch frequencies. It's not immediately obvious to me why there are two. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Right now, I'm monitoring 151.3025 mHz, and that seems to carry most of the traffic. Also, if anyone has any pointers for other info on monitoring Sandoval County public safety, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!

As memotioned and a lot of NM counties use multiple repeaters, some choosing to simulcast or multicast while some are steering to independent channels for those other sites.

Some have opted for microwave conventional voting systems lately. I only know one who went to what the easiest way to explain it is a voting syatem in which the unit can roam and the radio/ tower select the site for the user, over a microwaved voting in which all the sites are using the same frequencies and the user can stay on same channel. Seems to be common with the terrain and wide land vs a cost of a TRS currently for lower budget entities.

badlans

Premium Subscriber
A few years ago work was started to revamp the radio system and they ran out of $. Recent election approved finishing the project. In the meantime, part is simulcast, part is on secondary (north) channel due to mountain coverage. There are currently two primary channels for each Fire and LE. First is main, another is primarily north county. Paging on fire is frequently split, too. Usually no cross-patch on the mobiles, frequent simulcast on bases, but not always. Dispatch can hear mobiles on both main and north systems, but mobiles hear only the system they've selected. Occasional havoc is heard as a result.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the SE part of the county, so I'll keep to the mains for the most part. Many thanks for the cogent response.

Status
Not open for further replies.