Congress needs a full review of what happened with FCC spectrum bids

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Something stinks about the recent Federal Communications Commission auction to build wireless networks for the nation's emergency responders. The short version appears to be that a nonprofit group, the Public Safety Spectrum Trust, hired by the nation's 55,000 public safety agencies, was trying to shake down the companies that won the federal airwaves auction. The shake down money was allegedly headed for the fire and police agencies.

The apparent scheme surfaced when FCC officials realized the powerful 700 megahertz spectrum was not bringing the kind of bids expected. It drew only $472 million, well below the estimate of $1.3 billion the FCC rated as the value of the spectrum.

The low-ball bid has drawn heavy criticism from the 9/11 Commission, the Consumer Federation of America, Consumers Union and nine other organizations, all of which have demanded a full investigation. Congress has also gotten involved and wants hearings next month.

The auction was for the broadcast spectrum television stations will relinquish next year when they all flip over to digitized broadcasting. The 700 megahurtz frequencies would be powerful tools for police, fire and ambulance crews because they can penetrate buildings and thick walls, something the current 800 megahertz systems have difficulty doing without boosted signals. Going to 700 megahertz was a key recommendation of the 9/11 Commission after rescue personnel in the World Trade Center attack couldn't communicate with each other.

FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin has said the commission could vote within days to rebid the public safety airwaves. Mr. Martin also wants his inspector general to investigate the allegations.

But that shouldn't stop Congress from calling for a full review to find out what really was behind the low-ball bids from the as-yet-announced winners.

link to story

D

DaveNF2G

The author of this uncredited story apparently does not read Mobile Radio Technology or other industry publications. People in the biz understand pretty clearly what happened and why.

DickH

... The 700 megahurtz frequencies would be powerful tools for police, fire and ambulance crews because they can penetrate buildings and thick walls, something the current 800 megahertz systems have difficulty doing without boosted signals. ...

Why does someone even bother spreading such misinformation around?

CAPTLPOL1

I was wondering when someone would notice that. I wish someone like Wowbagger would take one of these media types to task with such drivel. :evil: :lol: :roll:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
The 700 megahurtz frequencies would be powerful tools for police, fire and ambulance crews because they can penetrate buildings and thick walls, something the current 800 megahertz systems have difficulty doing without boosted signals. Going to 700 megahertz was a key recommendation of the 9/11 Commission after rescue personnel in the World Trade Center attack couldn't communicate with each other.

I don't think the sole reason for the D block spectrum was for this capability.. Besides, there are 700 MHz systems being installed right now. :lol: Doesn't take an auction to accomplish this.
A 700 MHz system was recommend by the 9/11 commission probably for better interoperability...

700 MHz does have better propagation ability and I'm sure it has some what better "wall penetrating" ability too.

DickH

poltergeisty said:
... 700 MHz does have better propagation ability and I'm sure it has some what better "wall penetrating" ability too.

Interesting. I'm sure there are statistics that substantiate that.

D

DaveNF2G

Interestingly, the linked article refers to the "value" of the 700 MHz spectrum.

Apparently it's not as valuable as the FCC expected, given the results of the D Block auction, which closed without meeting the inflated reserve price. What makes spectrum "valuable" is not necessarily its physical features, as in days past. Instead, spectrum is valued according to how much money one might make by using it for subscription services to consumers.

If somebody invents an infotainment data service for the masses that would work well on VHF Low Band, then you'll see refarming, narrowbanding, and overpriced spectrum auctions between 30 and 50 MHz, too.

john5black

700 MHz Myths

There's not much difference between 800 and 700 coverage, and both frequencies will have building penetration issues, as do all frequencies depending on building construction. The biggest plus for using 700 is it will be free of co-channel and adjacent channel interference, at least for awhile.

What I see being the biggest challenge with 700 (and yes, I read MRT) is what business model is available for a commercial/public safety national system. The builder of the system will fund by providing commercial users access, but how many businesses will base their livelihood on a system that may deny access without notice for an undetermined time.

Status
Not open for further replies.