Connecting scanner to database

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS357

Premium Subscriber
Ok, brand new to this, and I can't find an exact case in the search for my issue. I have a BCD396XT, connected to my computer by USB cord; I downloaded FreeScan, I uploaded a database of the channels I want from RR to FreeScan; I clicked upload to scanner, and it says: "cannot access COMM1". I followed some directions I found on another post, to find the COMM## in Device Manager (Windows), which states I have COMM3. But I tried to connect to the scanner using COMM3 on FreeScan (through the Upload to Scanner function) and it said it was unable to connect to the scanner

Could someone please give me direction on what to do to resolve this problem? I really appreciate any help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The one thing you didn't say you did is load the drivers for the USB. This allows the USB connection to look like a COM port. Load the drivers, then connect the cable and use Device Manager to see what COM (note - one M) port was allocated.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That won't help him if the drivers for his USB cable aren't loaded, unfortunately...

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
What USB cable are you using?

Is it the Uniden USB Cable or are you using the CrapShack USB to Serial adapter? If I am not mistaken, the Uniden USB is plug and play. The CrapShack adapter does not always initialize, you have to go to the site and download the driver for it.

Either way, when you plug the USB into the COMM Port, does Windos make a noise as recognizing a new device? If not, your port may be disabled. Also, Windows makes a different noise if it sees a new device but does not recognize it.

Once you get through those isues, you can then autodetect the comm port through FreeScan and you will be fine.

MS357

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the help; had some issues with the driver installation but it finally went through and I was able to get the database downloaded. Pretty much up and running now.

kevinbarnes

I used the "prolific" driver to set this up

It's a driver that allows you to configure a USB port as a true serial port, baud rate parity... My application was a bit different in that I was interfacing my telescope's serial port to a USB port.

Here is the URL for the driver, give it a look over and if it looks like what you need I can help you set it up, once again I'm not sure if your application and mine are alike, as I am new to scanners, sdr...

Products

Status
Not open for further replies.