• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:

Contact live audio owner.

Not open for further replies.


Active Member
Database Admin
Feb 11, 2008
PEI, Canada
You can contact the owner yourself by the report a problem link. Live audio admins contact feed owners by email, so if you already have they would be waiting for a response as well. You can submit your feed application as long as it's not an exact as the one you would like to replace. just incase they would like to start it back up again. And if not you can submit new info through a help ticket to replace the feed.


May 27, 2004
Ironically, I don't think you can contact a feed owner when their feed is down. You may just have to wait it out (I think something like three weeks).

But, like ScanPEI said, you can get started right away by making your feed just slightly different than what is currently offered (or not offered in this case).
Last edited:
Not open for further replies.