Control Channel aliasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if it is possible to assign an alias / label to a control channel frequency on the 396?

Thanks!

n4yek

exkalibur said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to assign an alias / label to a control channel frequency on the 396?

Thanks!

You can name the Trunk system anything you want, but as far as the Control channel is concerned, it is a pointless thing to do. The scanner just listens to the Control channel and switches to a Voice Channel when a transmission takes place. Also most systems have more than one Control channel that the system rotates on a regular basis, not all of them, but most.

But if you wanted to do this, you could possibly do what you are asking.
If the system does have more than one Control Channel, just put ONLY ONE of them as a trunk system. The Second Control channel you could make another system and call it what ever you wanted, and so on....
So if your system has 4 control channels that it rotates through, make 4 individual systems and name each system whatever floats your boat. You would have to do a lot of duplicating when it comes to you Talkgroups because each system would have to have the same ones in each system you created.
That would be the only way I could see you doing what you are asking.
If you do decide to do it this way, make each system have the same Quick Key number. That way all you have to do is hit one number and have all of the systems you create for the ONE trunk come active. It will only lock on the active control channel and ignore the others until it rotates to the next one.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
As stated, the simple answer is no. As for being pointless, I could argue that, but it isn't worth the time, suffice it to say I wish it were possible so I knew which site I had locked onto.

n4yek

loumaag said:
As stated, the simple answer is no. As for being pointless, I could argue that, but it isn't worth the time, suffice it to say I wish it were possible so I knew which site I had locked onto.
Well pointless should have not been the word to use, in fact it could be a good thing as you stated. But I never stated you could not do it, in fact if you do as I described you could actually do what he is asking. It takes a lot of duplication of talkgroups but you could do it. Use only 1 Control channel and call the system you create 'Alpha Tower 1', use the next control channel and create another system and call it 'Beta Tower 1'. Then on multi-system you could go to the next site and start all over, use the first control channel and call it "Alpha Tower 2, use the next control channel and call it 'Beta Tower 2', so on and so on.
Then you could actually know which tower site you were locked onto, as you were asking, and have an Alias for each Control channel as he was asking.
It is a lot of work to do but you could do it, it would use up a lot of memory, but it can be done. Then assign each of the systems you create the same 'Quick key' number and all you have to do is hit one number on your keypad and activate the entire setup you created.

Maybe this is something that would help you out, it would let you know which tower you were monitoring.
Take care my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.