Control Channel Data Output 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Control Channel Data Output - allows the analysis of control channel data without the need to perform invasive modifications to the scanner on the BCD396XT
Am curious if anyone has experimented with this, particularly on the Indiana SAFET system? Apologize if this has already been asked. New to RR Is this handled through the USB cable?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes, it works well with UniTrunker 1.0.0.10 and Trunk88 (only for Motorola systems). Tune on the Control Channel Output (Extended data is not needed) in the MENU. Make sure your system is programmed first, HOLD on the system so the control channel is displayed. You can verify the output is working with a terminal program such as Windows Hyperterm. UniTrunker and Trunk88 will need the input signal set to the correct com port settings. See the respective instructions for each program and the Wiki for more information.
Trunked Radio Decoders - The RadioReference Wiki

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Can you give me some examples of the types of output a person can generate? Anything interesting I guess is my question. Never done it before but over the years in the hobby I kept seeing "discriminator output mods" and so forth but never tried it.

rmosier

Anyone know how to read the data for the Morris TRS?
For example:
298,0,8470,CNM TG-8470 CH-298 CV-04778000

I'm thinking - Channel 298, talk group 8470, Freq 477.8000
But what's the zero (second integer in the string), and What's "CNM"?

slicerwizard

Anyone know how to read the data for the Morris TRS?
For example:
298,0,8470,CNM TG-8470 CH-298 CV-04778000
command, individual flag, ID

command = 0x298 (RF channel index)

individual flag = 0 (e.g. command is not targeted at an individual radio - this is a group call)

ID = 0x8470 (talkgroup 0x847 / 2119 [33904 in the twisted TrunkTracker world], status 0x0 (normal call)

I'm thinking - Channel 298, talk group 8470, Freq 477.8000
But what's the zero (second integer in the string), and What's "CNM"?
Continuation (late entry) message. The call grant messages, which identify the PTTing user, have already been sent and the system is now only announcing the talkgroup and its RF channel (repeater output channel, if it's a VHF/UHF system) so that any users just entering the system/zone can RX the call.

rmosier

Thanks. It seems to be much more complicated than I expected. So much so that now I'm wondering if there is any useful purpose for me to try and understand it. What do you think?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. It seems to be much more complicated than I expected. So much so that now I'm wondering if there is any useful purpose for me to try and understand it. What do you think?

Why reinvent the wheel?
SlicerWizard's Trunk88 Program or Rick's Unitrunker program does the hard work for you and
decodes the Control Channel and displays the decoded info in
an easy to read format. Give one of the two a try :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

slicerwizard

Why reinvent the wheel?
If we didn't, we'd all be using DOS Trunker and we'd be missing a lot!

SlicerWizard's Trunk88 Program or Rick's Unitrunker program does the hard work for you and decodes the Control Channel and displays the decoded info in an easy to read format. Give one of the two a try :)
But if you're feeding them from a Uniden XT scanner's CC serial dump, you'll get lots of bogus information (random system status changes, non-existent talkgroups and radio IDs, etc.) due to Uniden's broken OSW decoding. It's broken, they won't fix it, and Paul won't explain why. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.