Control Channels With Just A "Normal" sw Radio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

I haven't really played around with this any, but thought I'd ask here first.

I don't have a Scanner, but I have radios that cover most of the commonly
used scanner frequencies.

Should I be able to pick up, at leasr, the CC's ?
Worth doing ?

Thanks,
Bob

marksmith

If you like listening to noise, you can listen to digital control channels.

You can listen to the voice channels of a trunked system if your radio can decode digital activity and actually receive something intelligible. If it is an analog system, digital decoding is unnecessary.

However, since control channels are moving those conversations around to different voice channels, sometimes in mid sentence, it will be hard to follow a conversation as it moves around.

Mark
SDS100&200/536/436/WS1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

n1das

Hi,

I haven't really played around with this any, but thought I'd ask here first.

I don't have a Scanner, but I have radios that cover most of the commonly
used scanner frequencies.

Should I be able to pick up, at leasr, the CC's ?
Worth doing ?

Thanks,
Bob
We normally think of SW as short wave and an SWL as a shortwave listener for listening above the old AM broadcast band and below 30MHz. When listening in the VHF and UHF parts of the spectrum like we do on scanners, we are listening to shorter waves than SW. Scanner listeners are shorter-wave listeners compared to SWLs.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
If you have a radio that is capable of tuning the CC as you mention, then you can run DSD+ and decode the audio. But you don't tune the CC, but rather a voice channel. So look in the database for the voice channel frequencies. If you want to follow the the voice channel using the CC, you need two conventional scanners. One to monitor the CC and the other to tune or follow the voice channels.

I've only listed to voice channels using DSD+. I've never messed around following a trunk system. I think you need something like Unitrunker to help do it as as well.

You'd probably be better of using a couple cheap SDRs like the NooElec.

Found this video.
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4lrm_TxYuc

Status
Not open for further replies.