• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Convert Motorola TG IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

highmaster2

Premium Subscriber
I know that elsewhere in these forums there is a link to a page that will convert 6 digit Motorola IDs for use in Uniden, GRE and others. Have tried emailing the owner of that page, but email gets rejected. Question is: does anyone have the actual math formula to accomplish that? Have about 250 IDs in a spreadsheet that I need to convert. The formula would allow me to have Excel do it automatically. Other postings here advise that a simple hex to decimal conversion will not do the trick. Any ideas or sources would be appreciated.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You have to enable the hex to dec converter in Excel, but once you do, this formula will work.

"=DEC2HEX(A1-800000)"

highmaster2

Premium Subscriber
Scott,
Need some clarification on your formula. Excel help states that the format for this function is DEC2HEX(number,places) where number is the dec number to be converted and places is the number of characters to use. If I use the formula as you have it above (using A1 as the number to be converted), the Motorola TG ID 800987 converts to B005B. What I'm actually looking for is some way to convert the Motorola Type II TG ID to a 5 digit or less ID such as 15792 which is what the same number (800987) converts to using the converter on http://www.mjw.com/scanner/convert.htm. I know that is a correct conversion based on info I already have confirmed in the scanner. Anyway, am open to any suggestions or explanations, especially if I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Johnny
KG4MDL

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I am a little rusty on Excel format, but A1 might be the location (A=column / 1=row) of the number to converts.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If you put the 800987 in cell "A1", then type "=DEC2HEX(A1-800000)" in cell "B1", it will give you the Motorola 3 digit hex value, which would be "3DB". If you type "=(A1-800000)*16" in cell "B1", then it will show the Uniden value, which would be "15792".

The reason it is dec2hex is that 800987 is a decimal number. You'd be converting the value of (800987 minus 800000), which would be 987. 987 dec is 3DB in hex. That is for Motorola conversions.

Uniden does not convert to hex, so you'd subtract 800000 from 800987 just as before and then you'd multiply the result (987) by 16, which would equal 15792.

Hope that helps.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Here is a sheet I just made. It has Motorola converted into dec, hex and Uniden. You could change the formulas around and make a tab for each type of conversion at the bottom, i.e., Motorola to hex, Uniden to hex, etc just like the web page does.

Attachments

• TG Convert.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 71

highmaster2

Premium Subscriber
Scott,

It makes perfect sense after your explanation. I set it up manually just for my own education and the sheet you provided also works like a charm. I sincerely appreciate all your help.

Johnny
KG4MDL

SCPD

QRT
rescue161 said:
Here is a sheet I just made. It has Motorola converted into dec, hex and Uniden. You could change the formulas around and make a tab for each type of conversion at the bottom, i.e., Motorola to hex, Uniden to hex, etc just like the web page does.

How do I open an .efw file?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
No problem. Glad it worked out for you. I know I had a hard time figuring out the formulas when I first started out and nobody wanted to give them out. Enjoy!

highmaster2 said:
Scott,

It makes perfect sense after your explanation. I set it up manually just for my own education and the sheet you provided also works like a charm. I sincerely appreciate all your help.

Johnny
KG4MDL

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
res148cue said:
How do I open an .efw file?
I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread but I don't appreciate you attempting to hijack the thread.

If you would have searched with Google you would have found out it's a file that was originally a ZIP file but was renamed by virus scanning software.

Status
Not open for further replies.