Copying Morse Code transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

othellocop

I working at getting my speed at 20 WPM but I have a problem in writing that fast so I lag behind and with the first 5 Radom letter sets of 5 I loose it. Does anyone have any hints on how to keep writing up with the transmission?

majoco

Stirrer
What style of writing are you trying to do? Capital lettering is too slow, longhand script is better as you don't really have to take the pencil (yes, pencil!) off the paper. An ordinary wooden pencil about a 2B so you don't have to press too hard.

Once you get the hang of it, you can be a few letters behind. If you are receiving plain text - DON'T read it as you go along! Pretty soon you cut out thinking and it just flows from ear to fingers!

K4EET

Chaplain
othellocop,

When I was interested in breaking the 20 WPM plateau that I had hit because I could also not write fast enough, a friend of mine suggested that I seek out an organization called CW Ops and to take their Level 2 training in their CW Academy. In that 8 week course, they take you from about 15 WPM to beyond 20 WPM by teaching you how to "head-copy" rather than write it down on paper. By head-copying, you can then just jot down brief notes about the conversation to remind you what you might want to comment on during your next transmission. I can honestly say that the 8 week course really works! Now that I am head-copying Morse Code, my receiving speed is approaching 30 WPM.

And seeing that you just joined us, Welcome to Radio Reference!

73, Dave K4EET

Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I took a course to get my commercial radio operator's license many years ago. The CW test was sending and receiving 20 WPM. The receiving portion was for 5 minutes and the pass mark was 100%. You couldn't afford to miss anything.

They taught us to type which came in very handy... even to this day. I can use all my fingers without looking at the keyboard :)

KX0Z

practice practice practice. When I was studying morse code for my license I got stuck at like 10wpm for months. I could copy 10wpm solid no problem, but try 13wpm and I would just completely fail, Then one day it was like I had a breakthrough I could copy 13wpm no problem. Just keep plugging away at it and it will come to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.