Could you turn this radio right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivitern

I have been building an AM radio, and when powered on I was picking up what id presume to be radio waves (what I'd describe as a mishmash of "whooshing" sporadic oscillations).
Alright all items for this project are the following:
10.26.2.jpg

x1 MAX4026EWP+T op amp IC chip
x2 1000 microfarad capacitors (any capacitor works but it's louder with these)
x1 100 microfarad capacitor
x1 8 ohm speaker
x1 9 volt battery
x1 project board
some wire (I used about a foot and a half)

optional - a wire parabola (such as a mini fan cage, a colander, etc.)
10.26.1.jpg

Simply put this circuit doesn't take much to make. It surprised and annoyed me because it gave me a radio signal when I was trying to make a backpack boombox circuit, so I fiddled with this and I present it to you here. And here are the 4 steps to creating this circuit.
(Please realize that when I talk about the pins I refer to the pins in counter-clockwise order from the clocking mark (probably an indent or circular mark at one end of the chip near pin 1. Pin 1 is the most counter-clockwise going down the left side to pin 4 and continuing at the bottom of the other side at pin 5 going up the right side to pin 8.)

1. Plug in your op amp and add a jumper wire from pin 6 to power and a jumper from pin 4 to ground.

2. Plug another jumper wire from pin 2 to ground and plug your antenna into pin 3.

3. Plug your 100 microfarad capacitor's positive side into ping 7 and the negative side into ground. Plug one your 1000 microfarad capacitor's positive side into pin 1 and the negative side into pin 8. The other 1000 microfarad capacitor's positive side into pin 5 and the negative side into a blank space on your board. Plug your speaker's positive side to the last capacitor's negative side and the negative side of your speaker to ground.

4. Plug in your battery's terminals to their respective rails (red to power, black to ground)
and then (if you have a switch added) turn it on and simply move your antenna wire around to get your signals. If you want a good signal using a metal fan cage works very well.

This was great, but I wanted to single out a specific frequency and listen to a radio station. I did some research and figured out that I have to add a resonance circuit called an LC circuit to single out specific frequencies. I made one with a variable inductor I made with 47 coils in 10cm with square steel railroad spike of diameter 1.5 cm in the center and a capacitor like below. I experimented with 220 pF capacitors in parallel to make 220, 440, and 660 pF and tried using my variable inductor to tune into a station for each of them but it did not work.

schematic with added tuner (apologize for the poor drawing)

I chose that coil count using the following equation to tune into mid freq radio singles (535-1500 khz), I made sure it covered the lowest frequency and then I could shorten it to get the higher frequencies.:

lc circuit equation

At this point I was stumped, I heard that you had to put a diode in to single out high frequency singles so desperate, I inserted it between pin 3 and my LC circuit but it didn't help. I also made a home made variable capacitor but likewise I coundn't tune into a station. Most importantly I heard you had to ground the circuit so I attached a wire for the tuner circuit to my computer(which is ground) and it changed the tone slightly but still couldn't tune into a station.

I started to wonder whether there were any am stations in my area due to its falling popularity, but a quick test with my mother's car radio yielded handful of them.

I apologize if my troubleshooting may seem stupid but I'm a little new to this circuit building stuff. I Thank you for reading thus far, and I appreciate any assistance you guys may offer.

SCPD

QRT
l'll take a stab at it ViVi--

From your first photo it looks like you have components to construct a low power audio amplifier.... I seriously doubt you are receiving any "radio waves" with it. The noises you are hearing probably is feed back of some sort-- 'whooshing' sounds like that.
I see nothing that looks like a radio detector circuit - though your description of a resonate circuit with the railway spike is on the right track (pun intend'd ?)- still, it isn't a complete detector circuit.
The second photo leaves me baffled...what is that device?
Without a schematic I, and I think I can speak for a host of others- can't help you- though I would like to see it all assembled with that colander attached ( this must be some sort of antenna, No?.... very SteamPunk....:) )
Attach a schematic !
............................CF

Last edited:

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Just looked at this thread and have to agree with CF. There doesn't seem to be an RF detection circuit anywhere. The IC looks like it could be a 741 op amp, (but looks can be deceiving).
As she suggested, post a schematic of the circuit you're trying to build. Without it, the answers you're going to get will be all over the place.
And just what the #@% is that 2nd jpg? A Dick Tracy radio ring? (not being sarcastic, only wondering what it is).

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I don't see the schematic for the tuner... What components did you use for that and how did you connect it to the amp?

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
First of all the first photo with the parts that you are showing will not give you a AM radio you will need more components to complete what you are trying to achieve,and the second photo is puzzling(The IC chip in the first photo is a video amp not audio)......

Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Good catch on the video amp.

In his post, vivitern states that he added a resonant circuit to the amp and threw a diode in somewhere. He states he included the diagram of the resonant circuit, but it doesn't seem to be there.

SCPD

QRT
Fortunately - or unfortunately- I live with my work tablet by my side- so these updates, among all my work, the other traffic, hit me thru out the day-- this particular topic has been producing a lot of giggles- for I am not above sharing these posts with my colleagues.
Enuff said there- just imagine my showing ViVi's question to a group of EE's today -- and then you can fill in the blanks...... :)
ViVi, I am not picking on you- but you better post a schematic quickly--- I hear the drum beat increasing in the jungle, and it won't be long now before the cannibals come in for the feast ...lol :)
.................................CF

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
That IC is a dual channel video multiplexer - how you hoped to make an AM radio from that is beyond me.

Here's what you really want - a dedicated AM radio receiver IC...

L1/C1 is the coil and variable capacitor from an old transistor radio or if you google for TA7642 there will be more details.

Attachments

• ta7642-am-radio-receiver.jpg
    ta7642-am-radio-receiver.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

Golay

Coil

First of all the first photo with the parts that you are showing will not give you a AM radio you will need more components to complete what you are trying to achieve,and the second photo is puzzling(The IC chip in the first photo is a video amp not audio)......

I dunno, it's remotely possible the combination of components and the coil in the speaker just may be picking up a very close AM station. Heck, we got a clear channel 50 KW near us, and people living close to it claim to hear it on all sort of different things.

SCPD

QRT
"I will also bet that vivitern will never show up again............"
It had all those hallmarks from the beginning- but I try to give everyone an even break at the start- sometimes it goes down hill rapidly from there..... :)
Ahh !, but these can be colourful rides, and you'd never believe the comments I got showing this post around work yesterday ! (especially the colander antenna part.)
.................CF

SCPD

QRT
Heck, if he lives close enuff to a 50,000 watt broadcast station, he doesn't need no stink'ing radio- he could use a Toaster....;)

majoco

Stirrer
Perhaps if his antenna was long enough he could join the far end to the transmitter mast....

Strange that the grammar and syntax of the original post from Sunshine87 in Hong Kong and this one from Vivitern are remarkably similar....... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.