Couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
! OK guy's so a few good things have happened over the last month/month and a half. With that two things are happening hence the following questions (ecps92 you may be able to help with the first). In late Feb 2017 we're going on a cruise from Port of Palm Beach to the Bahamas on Royal Seas. Where can I get the crews for the port? More importantly is it ok to scan on the islands? Also, where can I find the crews for the actual ship or should I just use close call? Also, come April or May we're moving to the valley so the boys can be closer to the depths they belong to. We are shooting for Ansonia but may go to one of the other area towns. I'm bringing my diamond dj 130. At my condo I'm on the 3rd floor plus 25 ft. I want to at least get the same height or close to the same reception. What is the max height I can go before I need to worry about getting approval or a permit or whatever. I want to be ready if I am going to have any issues.

I know this is a lot. Thanks.
Joe

PS Izzy and mrantidigital and firerick doc is doing a check prior to leaving and so far has told me it's just around a week so I should be good to travel. Lol

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Moving to the valley on purpose LOL............ Try some of the condos on the Ansonia or Derby Hill top. You wont have any issue. I live on the hill top and can listen to FDNY on the UHF if I feel like it, I can also trunk Waterbury's system from my house.

Last cruise I went on I did close call most of the time or searched 150-170 and 450-460 and got most everything on the ship

Have a good time

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Thanks Jon,
I'll drop you a line by email. Have some questions about the condos. I need a 3 BR for on as the boys are staying with me, etc. I'm thinking you still have the same email I used to have for you. If I have to leave the scanner on the ship then I have to, I was just interested in hearing what went on locally. I'm thinking Bill D may know a bit better on that stuff

Joe

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Just make sure that if you choose any place in Ansonia, its high up like the hilltop area as has been suggested. From a reception standpoint, you can't get any better. The tower on prendegast school alone gives a nice reception of several different departments including CSP. This area also has decent reception towards the other way like Shelton , Orange, Milford etc. towards New Haven. Well you know, you've been to my house. As far as antennas on buildings, with a private home you don't have issues. I used to have my ham antennas on my roof on a tripod with a 10 foot pole. Condos on the other hand, have restrictions as you know. IF they allow you to have an antenna off the deck, on a third floor for example, I would think you'd be fine as long as you don't start going above the roof line where the antenna would obviously stand out.

Manny

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I'm going house although I could do a condo rental for a year or two. I don't want to rush into things like I did the last time and wind up with all kinds of problems. My lease here is up in April and we already started looking. I know some towns/cities have issues with towers even on private property although I think I just want to go pole off a chimney but I want to get at least close to the reception I get here. I am not going to base a purchase off scanning but it is going to play into the mix. I am not going to invest in someplace and not be able to enjoy myself.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
House is best!

Joe, if you're going the house route, all you need is a tripod with a good 5 or 10 foot pole and you will be just fine. I have my setup on a 20 foot pole as you know, and I get excellent reception even FDNY stuff comes in good. Next year, I'm going back on the roof with HF, VHF/UHF, and scanning antennas. If you get a house up in the hilltop you wont NEED a tower. As a Ham, you are also exempt from local ordinances regarding towers as long as it is needed. Problem is that you have to make sure you pick a good spot to put it. If it falls, it has to land on your property in all directions and not the neighbor's. Then there is the digging, the cement, etc. I have an excellent spot on my property but I don't NEED one with the height I have on the roof with the tripod. Lots of angles to consider. Much easier and less hassle with a tripod on the roof or a chimmney mount honestly.

Manny

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Thanks Jon,
I'll drop you a line by email. Have some questions about the condos. I need a 3 BR for on as the boys are staying with me, etc. I'm thinking you still have the same email I used to have for you. If I have to leave the scanner on the ship then I have to, I was just interested in hearing what went on locally. I'm thinking Bill D may know a bit better on that stuff

Joe

Same E-Mail since 1998...................Wow im old

Mork

Premium Subscriber
Joe I go on quite a few cruises with my scanners and HTs. What is it you need to know?

ecps92

Missed your posting, till now.

Port Ops are normally Bubble Pack (FRS, GMRS or unlicensed Part 90) or the rare Government run Port ops (loading, unloading)

As for the Crews - smaller ships have been seen only on VHF Marine
and a few using VHF Marine Repeaters (Illegal in the US, but...)

The rest of the crews will be 457/467 Mhz
If you can get copies of "Scanner Digest" Issues 60 and 63
there is a two part write-up.

As for going on-shore, with anything but a cheap GMRS/FRS bubble pack, I would avoid the situation. Those radios are made for US use and issues have been heard about folks bringing Non Local Certified radios into their Country.

Send me a PM with your Cruise Schedule and I will tell you what other ships you will encounter in each port. Keep in-mind some ships have gone from Analog to TRBO

! OK guy's so a few good things have happened over the last month/month and a half. With that two things are happening hence the following questions (ecps92 you may be able to help with the first). In late Feb 2017 we're going on a cruise from Port of Palm Beach to the Bahamas on Royal Seas. Where can I get the crews for the port? More importantly is it ok to scan on the islands? Also, where can I find the crews for the actual ship or should I just use close call? Also, come April or May we're moving to the valley so the boys can be closer to the depths they belong to. We are shooting for Ansonia but may go to one of the other area towns. I'm bringing my diamond dj 130. At my condo I'm on the 3rd floor plus 25 ft. I want to at least get the same height or close to the same reception. What is the max height I can go before I need to worry about getting approval or a permit or whatever. I want to be ready if I am going to have any issues.

I know this is a lot. Thanks.
Joe

PS Izzy and mrantidigital and firerick doc is doing a check prior to leaving and so far has told me it's just around a week so I should be good to travel. Lol

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Thanks Bill
Thanks to Mark L. Who let us know we were about to get taken for a ride. We are in the process of booking thru another place. Still going and still Feb just on a real ship for 7 days not a gambling ship

Status
Not open for further replies.