• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Courier Base Microphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

Does anyone know what the original desk microphone option was for the Centurion line of big box bases?
I can't find any reference or photos, even of the contemporary Caravelle AM sets or similar Fanon models that show anything but the hand microphone attached in either the older round top or later geometric shapped one.

mic wiring

OK here is what i did to wire an old Rengency mic, google turner microphone, there is a list of how to wire the Turner +2 to a lot of radios.
I just reversed what it said and the microphone was correct.
They dont make the +2 anymore but you can find the old wire diagrams on line
hope it works for you, and do keep me posted, I really woould like to know

DW
So.Cal

Dawn

DW, I'm just needing to know what the original base/desk microphone that was sold as an accessory with the Centurions and probably the Caravelle's. Both used 1/4" stereo jacks unlike the mobiles. This is for a restoration I'm doing of a 40PLL.

There is no problem with wiring any mic for these directly as long as it's a low impedance dynamic. I use a cobra type 4 pin and a handfull of adapters in the shop. For working on this one, I just wired a 4 pin series male to a stereo phone jack and it works just fine.

This radio is about '77 in vintage as it was the first 40 channel Centurion. The Turner +3/ Supersidekick type was the dominant OEM frame of the time replacing the sharkfin Turner +2 power mic/ 250 unamplified around '72-'73.

I've found a reference for a BT-1 Courier that came out about '73. I don't know if that was the correct mic for this radio. Only photo I've seen of one from E-bay had a multipin locking connector on it and not a phone plug. Earlier Courier bases before the wood panel sided units used the Turner sharkfins from what I remember.

TheSpaceMan

OK here is what i did to wire an old Rengency mic, google turner microphone, there is a list of how to wire the Turner +2 to a lot of radios.
I just reversed what it said and the microphone was correct.
They dont make the +2 anymore but you can find the old wire diagrams on line
hope it works for you, and do keep me posted, I really woould like to know

DW
So.Cal
There are lots of used Turner Plus 2's still floating around! Seen them often in the classified listings.

Dawn

While the +2 will work, it's not appropriate for this radio and was never sold as an accessory for it.

Dawn

Thanks for the model number and period info. I just wanted to make sure I knew the correct vintage mic to pair the Centurions with.

I found one online and it looks near identical to the BT-1 that I mentione above and probably was only the connector difference. Outside of the red PTT bar, they look vaugley similar to one that Pearce Simpson used on the Simbas. If I understand correctly, the board inside the original 23 channel Courier and the Simba were also near identical, so it would stand to reason if they were sourcing from the same vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.