CPS (Calgary Police)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadaUser

Thanks to those have previously responded. And to those who told me to get a job with them there's no need for snarky. When CPS (way back) went digital radios available to the public were on the market relatively quickly. Just asking if there's anything available to the public (radio/frequencies) now due to encryption. Thanks

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks to those have previously responded. And to those who told me to get a job with them there's no need for snarky. When CPS (way back) went digital radios available to the public were on the market relatively quickly. Just asking if there's anything available to the public (radio/frequencies) now due to encryption. Thanks

Nobody was being snarky, it was/is the truth.

Look in the database. It appears there are a couple channels not shown as using encryption. How accurate is it? Hard to say.

Don’t expect a radio to come out that will magically decrypt encrypted comms with out knowing the encryption key variable ahead of time. It’s NOT going to happen. You are also not going to get the encryption key variables either.

Encryption is used to keep unauthorized listeners(people with scanners) from listening. Period.

I don’t know what algorithm they are using, but it is most likely AES256. You are not going to get around it, or defeat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I think a lot of the confusion comes from agencies (and scanner hobbyists) that previously treated undecodable modes as de-facto encryption - i.e. DMR = you can't hear me. Suddenly a radio manufacturer comes along and makes DMR available, and people misconstrue that as the radio manufacturer being able to defeat "encryption". They're defeating an attempt to prevent comms from being heard (and there is always a debate about whether an agency went to that protocol/mode as a means of preventing comms from being heard, but let's assume they did).

Encryption is another beast entirely. Encryption is an explicit method to prevent monitoring of comms. It is protected in law. There is no protection in law that says scanner manufacturers (and people) can't make/use radios that have DMR or NXDN or P25 or any of those; it's perfectly legal for Motorola, Kenwood, Uniden, Whistler, etc etc etc., to build, market, & sell a radio that will receive on any of those modes.

DMR, P25, etc., is like making a door that will let you go through if you can push a button. People without the ability to push the button are not able to enter, but it's not because they're being specifically blocked out. Encryption is putting a door there with an actual keyed lock on it. Nobody except the people with the key are supposed to be able to get through that door.

Asking for scanners to be able to defeat encryption is like asking for a way to get through any locked door without a key.

Status
Not open for further replies.