• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CPS version confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin303

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to this whole forum world so please be gentle. From reading another thread I learn't that in order to program a motorola radio such as the GM339, one needs an equivalent or later version of CPS than that which was last used to program the radio (irrespective of the S/W version of the radio). In my case, the "SW Version" is "R03.15.00" and the "CP Version" is "R7.01". Does this mean I need to acquire Professional CPS Version 7.01 or later? I'd like to be sure before I shell out the cash to make this radio useful. Thanks in anticipation, - Daryl

N4KVE

Well, if you are "laying out the cash" then you will be paying Motorola, & getting the newest CPS. But if you are getting the CPS from some other source, you must get the version equal to, or newer than what was last used to program the radio. Older will not work. GARY N4KVE

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
And, since the GM339 is a European radio, you will need the correct version of the CPS for your country. I don't have to coding at my fingertips, but if you search on "european" and "cps without the quotes, you should find the answer right away.

The stock North American version of the CPS will not program your radio.

darwin303

Premium Subscriber
Wow - I'm impressed

Thanks all for the quick responses guys.
Steve - I am in Australia so good point on the region/country - I'll need the AS or AZ version.

Could I just confirm that it is the "CP Version" and not the "SW Version" which needs to be matched or exceeded. Ie. I'll need CPS version 7.01 of higher - which I don't think I have seen referred to in reading so far.

Regards,
- Daryl

SCPD

QRT
Try a Write before you buy

Before you go buy new software, try to write to the radio with the software you got now.
This will not work with MotoTrbo, but I do it all the time with HT750's. The radios I get from my vendor have newer software than I have installed. I cannot read the radios when I get them from the vendor. But once I write to the radio with my older CPS, I'm able to program and read and write the radio to my hearts content.

darwin303

Premium Subscriber
Nice thought but unfortunately does not work

Thanks - I did not think to try that but unfortunately no good.
Error message suggests that I upgarde the codeplug version.
The radio is CP version 7.01 but the CPS I used was only good for CP version 4.x

Perhaps it would be most cost effective to have the radio flashed back to CP version 4.13 which I know works with the software I've tried on another GM339.

-Daryl

Status
Not open for further replies.