CPU update

Status
Not open for further replies.

iansmith10

Premium Subscriber
My WS-1095 will not receive any signals after the upgrade, is there ANYWAY to roll back to my old firmware which did not render my one month old radio useless ?? I was impressed at first with the new investment and decided to pull the funds together to purchase a handheld model WS-1080 as well. Good thing because that radio hasnt been upgraded and therefore still works. All comments are welcome,
Thanks Update = Using the software the config was rolled back to the original config when it was out of box. No reception. Updated using prompts on radio and now there seems to be limited traffic , but at least the firmware seems to like to old config. Previous owned radios were all manually programmed as we are used to doing with our Bendix radios on large fires. Please help with manual programming.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
My WS-1095 will not receive any signals after the upgrade, is there ANYWAY to roll back to my old firmware which did not render my one month old radio useless ?? I was impressed at first with the new investment and decided to pull the funds together to purchase a handheld model WS-1080 as well. Good thing because that radio hasnt been upgraded and therefore still works. All comments are welcome,
Thanks
Hmmmmm.... I'd probably try applying both the most current CPU and DSP again.... Can't hurt to try.

Ed6698

Thanks

My 1095 is fine after the update, might want to do it again just in case, might also want to do the prepare SD card for first use again.

Kel

Before I update,what does it consist of in this version?It always seems to corrupt my card when I update on my TRX-1.

MichaelBhere

Thanks Update = Using the software the config was rolled back to the original config when it was out of box. No reception. Updated using prompts on radio and now there seems to be limited traffic , but at least the firmware seems to like to old config. Previous owned radios were all manually programmed as we are used to doing with our Bendix radios on large fires. Please help with manual programming.

Update the DSP, it was needed with one of the recent CPU changes and you probably were running the original CPU and DSP when it was manufactured. I think there have been half a dozen or more updates since the original DMR release.

iansmith10

Premium Subscriber
I am having trouble Isolating the trouble with my software/firmware, specifically which one is causing my radio to be in silence. The software has errored out several times stating there is not enough memory. This must be a problem with the PC software not using the right directory or does not have the correct permissions on the directory that it is writing to ( which ever folder it uses for temp info aka swap space ).
I have tried doing each step then closing out and rebooting the PC. IE I update the cpu firmware , then close and reboot, then update the dsp, then close and reboot, then format the SD , close and reboot then copy the library to the sd , close and reboot then lastly copy the config and safely disconnect. None of these work arounds have brought my receiver back to life. The handheld WS1080 sitting next to it works like a champ. Please Help, Thanks,

iansmith10

Premium Subscriber
How I wish I could program with a command line instead of a GUI as I normally use Linux and NOT Windows. Is this possible ??? Also, which is the preferred flavor of Windows to use, I am using WinXP and it doesnt seem to work that well.

TAbirdman

I am having trouble Isolating the trouble with my software/firmware, specifically which one is causing my radio to be in silence. The software has errored out several times stating there is not enough memory. ,

Where is this showing up? On the scanner or on EZScan? if its on the scanner can you take a picture of the error message?

iansmith10

Premium Subscriber

thanks atlas, that is exciting news I will be home by 7:30pm pst and will give that a shot. Please confirm these are the "best practices" for an update.
1) confirm latest version of PC software (GUI) 2)check cpu firmware version & update.
** here is where I had been experiencing errors , in the software BTW **
3) turn on radio and test.

I also have a handheld that works great which I set side by side to verify reception. Hopefully this will bring the radio back to life and they will both receive and I can go back to monitoring in stereo !!

iansmith10

Premium Subscriber
Baby steps are betting than nothing, Whistler. It appears that they have fixed bugs in the PC application , and it appears that they have improved the cpu firmware a touch. However, there are still issues with this new "package". In order for the radio to receive, the new cpu firmware had to be loaded twice as well as the DSP firmware. This has brought back reception of my P25 x2 systems but I am unable to receive standard Motorola trunking. It is quite embarassing having my old radio shack trunk tracker loud and proud and my nice new WS 1095 essentially bricked with exception to P25 traffic.

troymail

Silent Key
Baby steps are betting than nothing, Whistler. It appears that they have fixed bugs in the PC application , and it appears that they have improved the cpu firmware a touch. However, there are still issues with this new "package". In order for the radio to receive, the new cpu firmware had to be loaded twice as well as the DSP firmware. This has brought back reception of my P25 x2 systems but I am unable to receive standard Motorola trunking. It is quite embarassing having my old radio shack trunk tracker loud and proud and my nice new WS 1095 essentially bricked with exception to P25 traffic.

:confused: I installed the updates on multiple radios and am having no issues. Let's try to determine what is happening in your application of the updates.

I typically run updates (per radio) like this:
- check for (and apply/install if available) PC Application updates
- check for and apply the DSP (I usually do this no matter what)
- check for an apply any new CPU.
- set the time (entirely optional!)

CAREFULLY, release the radio from the PC/USB connection (only release when the PC says it is safe to do so).

As I said, I have updated multiple radios since Friday and am listening to Motorola, P25 (P1 and P2), DMR, etc. without issue.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
When you do the CPU update will the scanner itself show and status on the display or will it just stay on the USB Power/Charging Backup Battery screen?

troymail

Silent Key
When you do the CPU update will the scanner itself show and status on the display or will it just stay on the USB Power/Charging Backup Battery screen?

I believe it returns to the USB Power..." text upon completion. However, I rely on the progress/status bar and "Done" message on the PC software to tell me it's done. At that point, only then do I click out of it and then (carefully) release the USB in Windows.

Having said that - upon closer checks, I am now seeing a problem with trunked DMR systems on the TRX-2 (but interestingly not on the TRX-1 even though I updated both). I missed this earlier because I tend to scan alot of conventional DMR and that appears to be working just fine. All other types appear to be working as I previously reported (best I can tell).

As always, I'm sure Whistler monitors the threads and will get this corrected quickly.

iansmith10

Premium Subscriber
Well I spent another 4 hours after work last night loading and reloading firmware's and preparing sd cards for use , and still am unable to receive even a conventional signal (am using a gmrs radio to test ). Again the old tried and true trunk tracker is doing just fine. Going to start the return process today and will try my luck with a Uniden unit. Sad day for Whistler !!!!

*** Hope they are monitoring and learn how to test their beta software before they release it.***

SCPD

QRT
update works fine .

Well I spent another 4 hours after work last night loading and reloading firmware's and preparing sd cards for use , and still am unable to receive even a conventional signal (am using a gmrs radio to test ). Again the old tried and true trunk tracker is doing just fine. Going to start the return process today and will try my luck with a Uniden unit. Sad day for Whistler !!!!

*** Hope they are monitoring and learn how to test their beta software before they release it.***

I am using a P4 running win10 with not enough memory and mine worked just fine.I would make sure the scanner Drivers are installed.

Erase Ezscan in add remove programs in control panel
plug in scanner with USB and radio off
Let Ezscan install drivers AND ezscan.
Check when the scanner is connected it says TRX1 or whatever scanner you have should pop up in the lower Right-hand corner when scanner plugged in!
Run the update all like I do ,it should put scanner in firmware receive mode,then update itself.....not much effort on the user.
The scanner should power cycle itself and shut off when done.

Again!!!if the drivers are not installed,you failed installing ezscan,probably because you didnt have the scanner OFF,it has to be off or scanner wont install software correctly..............

Its pretty easy....

you can check the firmware by pressing menu repeatedly while turning the scanner on while its trying to boot.It displays the Versions there.

Uniden is not going to work either if you cant install their sentinel software and drivers,that requires .Net framework.............another resource hog......

Ubbe

you can check the firmware by pressing menu repeatedly while turning the scanner on while its trying to boot.It displays the Versions there.

You only need to press menu once, after the 30 sec verify time, during the 2 sec time when the welcome screen are displayed.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.