Creep taunts cops on radio with bogus call of police shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
As far I'm concerned the toy china radios crossed the line of legality a long time ago, and shouldn't have even been allowed in the U.S. from day one! That would have stopped all this in the beginning. Our federal authorities were asleep at the wheel ... Again. My .02 I guess. :mad: 73, n9zas

You're exactly right. Those radios are absolute pieces of *****. They aren't reliable, aren't "clean", emission wise - and are just generally a BAD idea. Sure we could always modify our ham rigs - but this took at least a little bit of skill. These Chinese things, right out of the box, transmit anywhere.

If the FCC was responsible, they'd fine the hell out of anyone owning one.

ecarvalho

Pfff... why blame chinese radios when most Yaesus, Icoms, Kenwoods, Alincos (all also made in China) LOL, have been modified by hams for years and capable of causing the same kind of damage in the wrong hands! Really folks... whats next? Lets ban cars because of how some people drive them?
Thats a 12 year old child solution.
If that story is true, the issue is not the radio used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

For what it's worth, I don't think the issue at hand has ANYTHING to do with any of the import radios. A friend sent me an MP3 of the unauthorized transmissions and (without going into details that might be useful to investigators) they don't seem to be made on Chinese radios to me. I'll leave it at that.

Scanner listeners in the NYC area can make a great contribution to stopping this dangerous nonsense by listening to the input (add 3 MHz to the frequency you usually listen to) and, if you can hear the bogus transmissions on the input, report your location, how well you hear the unauthorized transmissions, and any other relevant information (background noise, etc.) to the NYPD.

ecarvalho

Some criminals put police sirens, lights, etcetera on their vehicles; impersonating an officer. Does this mean that someone ought to have a license before they can buy a car? Should we ban cars from importation?

Exactly what I thought! hahahaha loved your post man.

To others:

Look folks... ANYONE with the INTENTION to disrupt police activities via radio (in this case NY - if true) will need to "some skills" to find the right frequency, figure out the repeater off-set and tone(s). I believe NYPD uses that and only has a few P25. I haven't looked in the DB yet... maybe I won't either.

The RADIO USED is only a matter of choice and it doesn't have to be a Baofeng for example.

1) Surplus police radio sold on eBay? With the right programming ... you are in.
2) An YAESU, KENWOOD, ALINCO or ICOM with a MARS mod also easy to find on eBay? Example: YAESU FT-470 (VERY CHEAP!)
3) A "Chinese" radio also found on eBay? Lets not be ignorant about them - these radios do NOT break into a police repeater out of the box. You need to know what you are doing to program them to do that.

So the solution is not banning "Chinese radios". The solution is possibly improving the security around the radio system used in this case. But I don't want to think of a solution (WHY?) because they have people that are paid to figure this out and FORESEE potential issues like this.

Bottom line is... SOMEONE didn't do their job.

Lets quit being silly because you paid 10x more for your ICOM when someone paid less for radio that can do the same thing your radio does.

Reminder: All HAMS started from the bottom ... "many" with cheap CB radios. Remember that?
Chinese radio buyers are your Hams of tomorrow.

Baker845

Its sad, that chinese radio's get bashed because they aren't a name brand Yaesu,or Kenwood. Icom. most all of those radio's are made by same person or Person's making the chinses radio's. Still makes no sense why NYPD aren't on a trunking system.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
quote" I thought after 9/11, NY was going to upgrade just about everything, in the name of security?"

Going P-25 won't fix it, and going trunked won't fix the problem either. NYPD's radio system is one of the best in the USA. It' simplicity is the reason, a large trunking system P-25 or not would not give the coverage and capability they have now. I have spoken many times before how their system works, and people from other parts of the country reading this have no idea of the challenges of such a system.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
quote" I thought after 9/11, NY was going to upgrade just about everything, in the name of security?"

Going P-25 won't fix it, and going trunked won't fix the problem either. NYPD's radio system is one of the best in the USA. It' simplicity is the reason, a large trunking system P-25 or not would not give the coverage and capability they have now. I have spoken many times before how their system works, and people from other parts of the country reading this have no idea of the challenges of such a system.

They sound very vulnerable!

SCPD

QRT
Actually, vertex Yaesu was the choice for surface awhile the transit service went icom. Motorola design the split pl dpl thing for them, but only for special divisions like occb

Gotcha..For some reason I thought Kenwood but Vertex/Yeasu is correct. I hope they find this guy fast and make a reservation at the gray bar hotel with Bubba. The NYPD, LAPD and Chicago PD have great conventional (except LAPD which is P25 conv) radio systems using the K.I.S.S method.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Pfff... why blame chinese radios when most Yaesus, Icoms, Kenwoods, Alincos (all also made in China) LOL, have been modified by hams for years and capable of causing the same kind of damage in the wrong hands! Really folks... whats next? Lets ban cars because of how some people drive them?
Thats a 12 year old child solution.
If that story is true, the issue is not the radio used.

Ed the issue is that these import radios from china are capable of transmitting on frequencies Not allowed for the general public, not only that but they transmit spurs and harmonics which create interference in other bands! This garbage is poorly made and are ONLY legal for hams or public safety users. They are NOT legal for Murs or Gmrs/frs. Yaesu, Kenwood & Alinco radios are type accepted and don't transmit harmonics out of band. These radios can not be modified legally, and most of us stay within the rules required. The argument of banning other goods doesn't cut it because those items are Legal to use in the U.S. 73, n9zas

ecarvalho

Ed the issue is that these import radios from china are capable of transmitting on frequencies Not allowed for the general public, not only that but they transmit spurs and harmonics which create interference in other bands! This garbage is poorly made and are ONLY legal for hams or public safety users. They are NOT legal for Murs or Gmrs/frs. Yaesu, Kenwood & Alinco radios are type accepted and don't transmit harmonics out of band. These radios can not be modified legally, and most of us stay within the rules required. The argument of banning other goods doesn't cut it because those items are Legal to use in the U.S. 73, n9zas

Wouldn't you still agree with me that this is about misuse of equipment and not what equipment could have been used?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I agree with both of you.
I agree with @ecarvalho because no body has identified what this person used.
I agree with @gewecke because these lower cost radios have a much greater risk of throwing off spurious emissions and going off frequency or other RF issues that can cause harm due to cheap parts or engineering.
I remember years ago buying a radio and it was TX locked to ham bands, but by proving i had a license for another band, be it commercial license for work or GMRS i was able to get the dealer to either modify it for me or i was allowed to modify it myself.
Heck even now the Hytera PD682 i own has an option for me to use wide band in certain UHF channels as long as i prove im allowed to use the feature.

gewecke

Banned
Wouldn't you still agree with me that this is about misuse of equipment and not what equipment could have been used?

Yes, it IS misuse of imported Illegal radios in the U.S. The problem is that there are already Legal radios allowed here in our country which don't create the headaches previously mentioned. Much of this issue is happening because of our Commerce and communications commisions dropping the ball and allowing this crap to happen, which results in interference to licensed services all over the country. 73, n9zas

Baker845

If the NYPD system uses two different PL's then unauthorized transmissions shouldn't be happening.

gewecke

Banned
If the NYPD system uses two different PL's then unauthorized transmissions shouldn't be happening.
No it shouldn't but using different PL tones does not prevent unlawful interference. Pl tones are to prevent other agencies out of that area from breaking the squelch. I have a 20+ year old Kenwood which will program split PL/ dpl, even inverted Pl's so its not uncommon. 73, n9zas

The other thing that people who are outside of the area don't realize is that several of the main channels can have over a hundred voting receivers allowing for citywide portable radio use, while the various zones can have coverage custom tailored coverage allowing for good portable radio use throughout the zone. It's not one colossal system, as a trunked system would be, and, considering the loading and volume of radio traffic, functions very efficiently as-is without the kinds of problems trunked systems have. It's very complicated, yet it's also very simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.