• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Cross System TGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed a few TGs that can be listened to on PCWIN and YRCS. What I mean is that if someone talks on TG 18009 (Pima Co. Sheriff's Dept. -> East-1) on either of these systems, I can listen to them on either system. The same TG serving the same department on both systems.

My question is, what is this called? Is it a crosspatch or something else?

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Sorry, but this is user error :(.

If you listen to the 800mhz sites on YRCS, while in Pima County, you will hear - "what appears to be PCWIN TG's on the YRCS system". That is because they share at least one common control channel, at a quick glance, 857mhz.

This usually happens when you are in TG search mode on the YRCS system, listening to the 800mhz sites, within Pima County.

If you "avoid" or block all of the YRCS 800mhz sites, (Sites 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8) on your scanner and listen only to the 700mhz sites, you will no longer hear PCSO or any element of PCWIN on the YRCS system.

Why "avoid" the YRCS 800mhz sites ? Well, they are too far away to even be heard while in the Tucson area, which I think that is where you are. And, they cause system confusion and contamination on your scanner of what talk group you are listening to and on which system it really belongs.

Thank you for the reply Flano.

My first scanner had a huge 4 channels and required changing crystals to change freqs. but I'm only about a month old in trunked scanning, so this probably won't be my last newbie question.

Your answer makes sense and I'll try to be more careful in the future.

@FLANO

Does that mean that if I am ID searching on a P25 system and there is a closer P25 system that shares frequencies, even if I am not scanning the closer system, this will happen?

Don't feel bad, that would have thrown me off too. And yes, I still have a few scanners around that use crystals. Most people don't remember that far back, or weren't around then! I also still have my first 'modern' scanner, you could program 10 freqs in and you finally didn't need crystals.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
As was already stated, don't feel bad. This veteran scannerist has been fooled by many things that are not always immediately apparent. To be quite honest, I am guilty of this very thing. That is why I knew the answer so quickly.

So, there you have it. We are all human and sometimes can't see what many think might be obvious. Happy to help. Especially since I knew the answer ;(

Ask away. We really do want to help you enjoy this hobby.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Also, since you are here in Tucson, and new to trunking, I highly encourage you to come check out our local scanner club meeting. We hold them the 3rd Saturday of every month from 6-8pm, approximately. We are about a half a dozen that meet informally and gladly share insights with those who attend the informal meetings. Sometimes we do formal presentations, sometimes it is about recent scanner events, and other times it is about anything radio.

We don't bite... fellow scannerists ... :O

Status
Not open for further replies.