Cruise Ship Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

1.) Yes, you should, however No One has made any RECENT reports for the Destiny, only the Thompson Spirit. However When the Destiny was known as the Sunbird they were UHF

2.) Any basic Scanner [Digital not required, but CTCSS and/or DCS is helpful] Radio shack sells plenty of them. A Portable is great

3.) Program ALL the VHF [USA and International channels] along with :

457.5000, 457.5250, 457.5500, 457.5750, 457.6000, 457.6250
467.5000, 467.5250, 467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250
467.7500, 467.7750, 467.8000, 467.8250
457.5125 457.5375 457.5625 457.5875 457.6125
467.5125 467.5375 467.5625 467.5875 467.6125

Pass back what you hear/find.

You can then add all the FRS/GMRS and lock them out as you find the families using them, but some are used by the Crews

What Dates/Ports, you will also find plenty of other Cruise Ships too...

Hi all!

I just need some help with something!

I will be going on board the cruise ship Thomson Destiny of Thomson Cruises around the Mediterranean.

And all i want in simple terms please some answers to some questions!

1. Will i be able to listen to onboard coms including bridge (I will have a cabin directly above the bridge)
2. What type of scanner will i need (not to expensive!)
3.what chanel do i tune into to listen to the operations?

Many kind regards,

Matthew Brown :)

Mork

Premium Subscriber
Is there a database page here on RR that lists the Cruise ship frequencies as Bill does on his site?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Personally I don't see the point - Bill does a superb job at keeping track of this information 73 Mike

Mork

Premium Subscriber
Personally I don't see the point - Bill does a superb job at keeping track of this information 73 Mike

The point is to be able to make programming easier by using a datagrabber off the RR page. Additionally RR brings together the best collection of frequencies negating the need for individiual web pages. Bill's contributions are invaluable.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You might already have one, and not know it. I haven't done it in a long time, but I seem to recall that Excel (7.0 and later) can capture data from web pages. And if you use one of the Uniden DMA radios, FreeScan has a utility known as EZ-Grab. FreeScan is freeware, so you don't lose anything by trying it. 73 Mike

ecps92

Most of the software can also take a CSV or text [columns] file and import them, from web sites.

It might take a bit of Cut-n-paste, but then again there are not that many [unless you add all the VHF Marine channels - inc Int'l] frequencies used. Many Repeater, so even doing it by hand would not be too tough

457.5000 467.5000
457.5250 467.5250 467.7500
457.5500 467.5500 467.7750
457.5750 467.5750 467.8000
457.6000 467.6000 467.8250
467.6250 467.6250 467.8500

Always leave your Tones Open, as you never know when in port what other ships you might SEE / HEAR

Then the few real business channels, all the FRS [Yup not just the Tourists] and the GMRS [inputs and outputs]

I know how tough it was to even get as far as we are with Cruise Ship frequencies, it's just like much of what we have at RR. There are many that WANT, but few who actually [if you take the %] contribute. Those that do, we all applaude you for the efforts.

It's the same anywhere. Even at ScanNewEngland where most of my postings occur. Folks WANT, but won't even put a ''fingerprint'' on the SEARCH button.

There are plenty of ships still out there [new and old] with no reports, because we each have our own Niche in the hobby. Some do Business', some only Public Safety and others Local Government and then there is the FEDERAL Monitors :) all just small examples of our hobby.

You might already have one, and not know it. I haven't done it in a long time, but I seem to recall that Excel (7.0 and later) can capture data from web pages. And if you use one of the Uniden DMA radios, FreeScan has a utility known as EZ-Grab. FreeScan is freeware, so you don't lose anything by trying it. 73 Mike

kc8hi

Premium Subscriber
Carnival Glory

Just got off the Carnival Glory 12-19-10. Took two of my handhelds on board with no problem. Listened to ship operations on 457.525. Everything went along smoothly until the morning we were disembarking to take the tender over to Grand Cayman. They give you a "group number" which is on a sticker that they have you put on your shirt. Then you go sit down in the theater on the ship until your group is called. I saw several of the staff using hand helds with slim antennas that I recognized as UHF. I whipped out one of my handhelds and started to search. Sure enough, there they were talking back from the tender on portside to the staff in the theater on 464.300. They paid no attention to me until one of them happened to walk by me with their portable just at the moment that someone said somthing on the radio. Uh-Oh. The staff member walked on by and immediantly went over to "Kiwi" as she calls herself on the ship, one of the cruise directors/hosts. She shot a glare over at me with my handheld still in my hand, and called another staff member over, I'm sure to discuss what to do with this "terrorist" that they just discovered in their midst. How dare anyone "tap" into their private conversations! She sent another staff member over to walk past me just to look at my radio, but by that time I had turned it off and put it away. The staff member walked past me and right over to "Kiwi" and three of them got in a close circle and with regular looks over their shoulder at me, was dicussing what to do. At that moment our number was called and I walked out of the theater with them watching me leave. Their paranoia almost made me laugh out loud. The funny thing is, nearly every family has GMRS/FRS cheapie little handhelds to talk to each other and the staff pays no attention to them. I guess since the staff doesn't hear themselves coming out of those speakers.

The real communications is now done with Cisco IP based handheld phones, so the really secure stuff you aren't going to hear anyway..

disasterops

Premium Subscriber
I just got off the NCL SKY here are the repeaters I found were active:
467.775 Repeater PL 179.9
467.800 Digital Paging
457.550 Repeater PL 179.9
467.825 Repeater PL 131.8
467.750 Repeater PL 225.7-Bridge operations

KD8DVR

FYI, if you're looking for reliable on ship 2-way communications I highly recommend the Motorola DTR radios. We recently had entire ship interference-free coverage on the Carnival Sensation. These DTR's were the generation 2 models with the longer removable 900MHz whip antennas. Most of Carnival's ships are the same. I have been on the Paradise, Triumph and Sensation and they were all similar. I was really impressed with the DTR. If you want to spend less money on radios you could try the TriSquare eXRS radios. They use somewhat similar technology, but are less rugged, use analog voice, and have very small non-removable antennas so I don't know how coverage would be. In any case, I am willing to bet they would still be better than using FRS.

eXRS radios worked excellent for us on the Carnival Sensation. We were on Riviera deck and had solid comms all areas forward and mid, and with a few problems on aft decks.

Dann

Premium Subscriber
If you want to hear alot of chatter listen to marine channel 68,i noticed all the taxi's and other business where using this frequency in the Caribbean

vhf channel 68 and sumni on the west coast

Thanks Dann, I will take a listen in channel 68.
I will be in Alaska end of May. Maybe Carnival will use it.
We have a lot of freqs. programed in for our trip.
BUT!!
on the other hand, here in So Calif. utility freqs are crazy becase of the sumni waves
on our coast.
The harbor patrol in Channel Islands and Ventura harbours was very busy
must of the day.
I live maybe 2 miles west of the Pacific.
peace
Dana

ecps92

Slightly Off Topic

For those on the west coast with the Tsunami's and CG Search's, don't forget the CG VHF & UHF LMR Channels listed in the RR WIKI

Thanks Dann, I will take a listen in channel 68.
I will be in Alaska end of May. Maybe Carnival will use it.
We have a lot of freqs. programed in for our trip.
BUT!!
on the other hand, here in So Calif. utility freqs are crazy becase of the sumni waves
on our coast.
The harbor patrol in Channel Islands and Ventura harbours was very busy
must of the day.
I live maybe 2 miles west of the Pacific.
peace
Dana

Hi Bill good to see you again,
Yes the west coast was wild all day yesterday.
I took my HT with me to work and CG was on must of the day.
Minor damage to Ventura harbor and nothing in Channel Islands harbor.
Ventura is a west facing harbor. and most of the energy was due west.
We are north of Los Angles and south of Santa Barbra Ca.

Hi Bill some update freq for Carvanal

Hi Bill just back from AK on Carvanal Sprit.
Some update for your page.
457.575 on board paging
467.750 some bridge ops
468.325 ship/maintance ops
464.300 shore excrusions comms.
457.525 ship/maintance ops(non english)
NWS
162.550 Juneno
162.525 ketchacan
162.425 between Victoria BC and the inside passage.
What a trip, the xyl and i worked a long time for the trip.
DW
kg6wxe

ecps92

Thanks for the info, it's always appreciated.

So many ships out there and so few Reports from folks, that those who take the time, we do welcome.

I even took a 5 Day VAC to Miami and Lauderdale to get 30 different ships, most of them never reported before.

Hi Bill just back from AK on Carvanal Sprit.
Some update for your page.
457.575 on board paging
467.750 some bridge ops
468.325 ship/maintance ops
464.300 shore excrusions comms.
457.525 ship/maintance ops(non english)
NWS
162.550 Juneno
162.525 ketchacan
162.425 between Victoria BC and the inside passage.
What a trip, the xyl and i worked a long time for the trip.
DW
kg6wxe

gailwin

I've used pretty much everything on my cruises. Every time I go, I try something new.

The best radios I've found for personal communications on the ship are the 6-Watt ICOM VHF Handhelds. They operate on marine vhf. You can buy them at West Marine.

These are technically the only frequencies you are permitted to use legally without a license anywhere in the world in a maritime environment. Personal communications may be conducted on Channels 68, 69, 71, and 78A. What's also cool is that you can scan local marine and port traffic on the same radio. More information about Marine VHF frequencies can be found at the USCG Navigation Center website: U.S. VHF Channels

I've also used 4-Watt UHF Motorola Professional radios and 5-Watt VHF Motorola radios and they also work very well. I programmed UHF Business Band frequencies and VHF MURS frequencies into these radios. You can also use FRS with a DPL however in the United States, your transmitting power must be limited to 1/2 Watt. Otherwise, what's the FCC going to do when you're out in the middle of nowhere and not even in the United States. I've used all of these setups on Royal Caribbean's larger vessels (Freedom and Oasis class).

2-Watt radios are good for smaller ships. They worked well on Disney ships.

Blister pack radios are garbage and are pretty much only good for talking to someone less than 10 feet away.

Mork

Premium Subscriber
RCI Freedom

Bill

The the freqs for RCI Freedom of the Seas current? Going 8/7 out of Port Canaveral

Mark

KD8DVR

I've used pretty much everything on my cruises. Every time I go, I try something new.

The best radios I've found for personal communications on the ship are the 6-Watt ICOM VHF Handhelds. They operate on marine vhf. You can buy them at West Marine.

These are technically the only frequencies you are permitted to use legally without a license anywhere in the world in a maritime environment. Personal communications may be conducted on Channels 68, 69, 71, and 78A. What's also cool is that you can scan local marine and port traffic on the same radio. More information about Marine VHF frequencies can be found at the USCG Navigation Center website: U.S. VHF Channels

I've also used 4-Watt UHF Motorola Professional radios and 5-Watt VHF Motorola radios and they also work very well. I programmed UHF Business Band frequencies and VHF MURS frequencies into these radios. You can also use FRS with a DPL however in the United States, your transmitting power must be limited to 1/2 Watt. Otherwise, what's the FCC going to do when you're out in the middle of nowhere and not even in the United States. I've used all of these setups on Royal Caribbean's larger vessels (Freedom and Oasis class).

2-Watt radios are good for smaller ships. They worked well on Disney ships.

Blister pack radios are garbage and are pretty much only good for talking to someone less than 10 feet away.

I am surprised VHF will work well in all the metal enclosed areas of a cruise ship. I used the 1 watt TriSquare eXRS radios with fabulous success. I would say we had 95 percent reliable communications at all times.

At any rate, I was never aware we could use marine frequencies onboard a cruise ship as passengers. Good info! Must try in the future... Thanks :)

ecps92

Any help on reconfirmin FoS would be great.

The info is from March of 2010 and other than the Bridge the other two channels never got identified.

Looks like you will also have in port at the same time:
Disney Dream & Carnival Sensation

Bill

The the freqs for RCI Freedom of the Seas current? Going 8/7 out of Port Canaveral

Mark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.