CS700 DMR UHF Portable radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9AA

There is a lot of discussion about the CS700 on the Mototrbo and CSI DMR Yahoo groups:

Yahoo Groups

Yahoo Groups

The reaction seems very positive, and apparently, there are some very interesting features on the way: GPS, front panel programming and the ability to monitor all talk groups, as well as a VHF version.

An interesting radio, to be sure.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I just ordered one myself... The company is very amateur friendly and from all initial reviews the radios perform very well. Looking forward to giving one a try!

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Just got mine today. Very much worth the price. Menus and operation very similar to the moto units. Free cable and software very easy to use. Great signal and audio reports so far. Jerry and CSI are very ham friendly and appear to have a product that's the real deal at a very low price.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
They are $180 right now. Not sure about any other band. DMR is mainly used in commercial land mobile applications and primarily standard vhf high and UHF band freq ranges as far as I know.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Uhf is most popular but there are some areas where vhf is the way to go due to go due to other interference on UHF. There are specific areas where radar really screws with UHF in the ham freq range.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I`m thinking on getting into another digital mode soon, and right now it seems DMR is the way to go. Anyone have a website i can have a look at so i can get a gander at this radio? Price seems really nice, and if i could find one i`d SERIOUSLY give DMR a heavy look :). N9NRA

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
re, CS700 DMR radio

Anyone on here tried the CS700 being sold by Connect Systems, Inc.? Looks like a neat portable for getting started with DMR and the price is certainly right.
Untitled Document

Just had me a peek at it now, really neat unit :). Almost reminds me of one if the Alinco units as far as looks, just a little :). Anyway, if i can find this company at Dayton i just might hafta give `em a hard look...and might be snagging me a new DMR radio too. Only question i have is how durable they are, if i`m gonna have one it`s gonna hafta be able to handle normal use along with the ocaisional dropping and being inocked around. Nice unit however. N9NRA

N8NQP

Premium Subscriber
Its sold by Connect Systems in CA.

Right now they are on order. If you can't wait, some dealers have them and they are $285.

Connect Systems is allowing 2 radios to be purchased at $185.

If you want a decent radio to get into DMR, its currently the lowest priced radio, and with its interface working like the 6550, if you decide to move up to Motorola, you already know the radio.

Mike
N8NQP

Here are a few write-ups

Connect Systems CS700 DMR handheld | Ham Radio Blog PD0AC

Connect Systems CS700 UHF DMR HT | Grapevine Ham Radio

CS-700 Product Reviews

Direct Communications Interconnect - CSI Support

Connect Systems CS700 Portable Radio Review | VA3XPR

JPSan

Current CS700 pricing info

In a e-mail from Jerry Wanger, President of Connect Systems that I received this afternoon ( 2/24/14) the current direct pricing is as follows.

CS700 DMR UHF handheld is .... $180.00

Programming cable is ..... $5.00. (Programming software and drivers FREE on the CS website)

A 2000mah battery ( radio comes with a 1700mah as stock) ..... $30.00.

As already known all firmware updates will be posted on the CS website in a timely manner.

He says there are NO PLANS for a dual band model at this time.

UHF DMR mobile is planned for release in October.

He did not mention a time frame for a VHF DMR model.

He said it is best to contact them about purchasing via e-mail as there phones are usually busy.

CSI products page.......Untitled Document <----- You can see the manuals for the radio, too.

CSI contact info..........Untitled Document

Last edited:

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I saw those and some good reviews about them. I'm even thinking of picking up a couple come April.

Big issue is if anybody in VA except for DC area has DMR up and working because I'm not finding it so far.

The other thing in studying MARC they say you have to select ip site connect or something like that along with UDP something or other yet I can't find anything like that for these radios.

Yet in reviews I read of them being used on MARC systems. So how?

The other thing is how to import MARC user list into the CS700 radio. Tried it and the software did not like the idea at all. Is there some conversion program or something that can be used to get it into the CS700 software?

Still have a lot of studying to do on the whole DMR thing but it sounds quite interesting and these radios sound like good ones even if have to use on regular analog systems instead. So will still probably pick up a couple.

JPSan

VA DMR repeaters and some videos

According to the DMR MARC website there 3 repeaters in VA.
Haymarket
Petersburg
Fancy Gap

List of current users in VA......http://www.n6dva.org/trbo-database/trbo_users_view.php

Check out DMR-MARC Network

It has a current listing of all user and repeaters world wide.

Here in Arizona there are quite a few CS 700's on the air. No one has complained yet. They work good.

Some You tube videos showing the CS 700 and especially how to programming.

CS-700 UHF HT DMR Radio Demo - YouTube

Connect Systems CS700 MotoTrbo DMR Ham Radio - YouTube

CS700 Programming for Amateur Radio - YouTube

Last edited:

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Thanks JPSan, as I said I've heard a lot of good things about this in what reviews I've seen on it. No complaints at all as a matter of fact which is a miracle in itself. LOL

I also have a lot of studying to do about the whole thing too.

Unfortunately none of the three repeaters are anywhere near me. Still might pick it up and see if I get any simplex stuff. I have been looking at various DMR-MARC stuff on their site which is where I got the questions I asked.

Anyway I think either way I'll pick up a couple next month. It sounds like a real interesting field to get into and if I ever do get around to moving out your way at least there are repeaters out there waiting. :)

Also found a site late last night with a sample CS 700 DMR code plug by the Rocky Mountain Ham Radio Club which looks like it might be like MARC's sample Moto code plug off their site. Might be of benefit for people. RMham_org/wordpress/

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The other thing in studying MARC they say you have to select ip site connect or something like that along with UDP something or other yet I can't find anything like that for these radios.

Yet in reviews I read of them being used on MARC systems. So how?

IP Site Connect is not needed to use the DMR-MARC system.

All IP Site Connect does is allow you to roam between sites. If you don't have more than one site in your area or you don't wish to sit on one channel and roam between sites, than you don't need IP Site Connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.