nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
they have officially switched over to the new system statewide, and unpatched the old smartzone. there are MANY new talkgroups on this system including ones for regional dispatch centers.
Guess I have to finally get a P2 scanner because I hear nothing on the smartzone anymore

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
they have officially switched over to the new system statewide, and unpatched the old smartzone. there are MANY new talkgroups on this system including ones for regional dispatch centers.
Guess I have to finally get a P2 scanner because I hear nothing on the smartzone anymore

If you have a digital scanner it will still work, Not many of the talk groups are P2, 98% are still P1 and will work fine, I have 2 BCD996XTs working on the new 700/800 P25 CLMRN system

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Can this all be any more confusing. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Troop H which I monitored for years.

Very simple, No troop H or L unit is affiliating with the site your listening to.

Try a different control channel, The troop I system normally carries H & L

gofasters4

Have not seen any Troop H or L affiliations on the Troop I site over the last 3 days. Just Troop A, I, F and G.
Currently, the only full time Phase 2 talkgroup appears to be Groton PD.

snowscout

Two bits of miscellania... with the Comet 100RX affixed to the scanner reception in my area has improved. Additionally, I ordered this today... its a dipole antenna designed for 700mhz, I guess for use with PA systems... it was only 20 bucks so I'll report my findings.
I had a "super gainer" from Scanner Master on my Uniden 325P2 and felt that reception could be better. I ordered and received yesterday a Diamond RH789 Antenna. So far, I'm impressed! Better reception on the P25 system and also capturing very weak conventional signals that I wasn't receiving before!

Cheeseburgers

I had a "super gainer" from Scanner Master on my Uniden 325P2 and felt that reception could be better. I ordered and received yesterday a Diamond RH789 Antenna. So far, I'm impressed! Better reception on the P25 system and also capturing very weak conventional signals that I wasn't receiving before!

Yeah I had the watson super gainer and was meh about it... I like both the Comet and diamond RH789, both great. I am curious about the 700mhz antenna... wonder how it will be. But I've definitely gotten the best performance on CSERN with the telescoping variety so far.

matt04

Premium Subscriber
I have a HP-1 and a 436 HP and neither will pick up Troop H. I live in Hamden and always picked up Troop H loud and clear in the past.. The bizarre part is that I picked them up fine two days into the conversion but then as of Thursday they vanished. i have an outside antenna. I'm not sure if I can receive Site 28. I'm unsure how I would know that. Anyway its very confusing. I also used to get Troop L and I no longer can get them. So far I am getting Troop A,I, G, F, K and E. Thanks for the info.
I am willing to bet you are too far to get the H simulcast. The new system, from my understanding is much more focused on coverage within the troop boundaries, i.e. Troop H is designed to cover just Troop H territory and not much more. Troop H is under a state wide license that doesn't list specific sites, so we don't know exactly where every site is, though they probably reused most of the old sites. However if it anything like Troop C the power is reduced to cover only Troop C, i.e old Moto System max ERP was 220 watts vs. P25 system is max of 126 watts.

Not sure on the HP-1, but you could use "Discovery Mode" on your 436HP and start a new session and select the Troop H Simulcast and see if you get any bars and a DAT indicator in the lower right hand side of the screen. If not you aren't able to receive the control channel. Also, you could program 774.53125 as a conventional analog channel and see if you can hear the control channel. If neither of the above are successful, you best bet may be to listen to Troop I and maybe get lucky someone from H has affiliated to a I cell.

leadjammer

I am willing to bet you are too far to get the H simulcast. The new system, from my understanding is much more focused on coverage within the troop boundaries, i.e. Troop H is designed to cover just Troop H territory and not much more. Troop H is under a state wide license that doesn't list specific sites, so we don't know exactly where every site is, though they probably reused most of the old sites. However if it anything like Troop C the power is reduced to cover only Troop C, i.e old Moto System max ERP was 220 watts vs. P25 system is max of 126 watts.

Not sure on the HP-1, but you could use "Discovery Mode" on your 436HP and start a new session and select the Troop H Simulcast and see if you get any bars and a DAT indicator in the lower right hand side of the screen. If not you aren't able to receive the control channel. Also, you could program 774.53125 as a conventional analog channel and see if you can hear the control channel. If neither of the above are successful, you best bet may be to listen to Troop I and maybe get lucky someone from H has affiliated to a I cell.
Thanks so much for that info. I will try a what you suggested. Theodd thing is that I was getting Troop H until two days ago. The first three days of the conversion it came through loud and clear.

Thanks for all that info. I will give it a shot. Funny how I was getting Troop H three days into the conversion and then it just vanished. Maybe they did lower the power to only cover the Troop H area.

mkt853

Take a drive from your house towards troop H's area and see at what point you can pick it up. If you're just missing it by a few miles, maybe a yagi pointed in that direction would get you over the hump. If not, then the only thing you can really do is listen to it via one of the internet feeds. I would also remind folks that the system is likely to undergo more changes and adjustments, so what you can hear today you may not be able to tomorrow, and vice versa.

leadjammer

I have an outside antenna on my roof and that hasn't done a thing. I'm sure more changes might be coming and I will take that ride to see when I start picking it up. Thanks again for your help and insight.

Does anybody know what they are going to do with the old SZ Troop H control channel? Will they eventually re-purpose it for the new system?

cg

Premium Subscriber
From Hamden, you probably cannot easily pick up the simulcast for Troop H which uses a Control Channel on 774.53125. The sites are Windsor Locks (BDL), Bloomfield (Talcott Mtn), Bristol (South Mtn), and Rocky Hill (VA). If you cannot hear the traffic on the H Simulcast, you are at the mercy of having radios on the Troop H talkgroup affiliate with other sites.
Also, if you have all the CLMRN control channel frequencies programmed in as one site, the scanners will pick the first one in the bunch it hears with a decent signal and monitor that one. It may be a real issue if you are nearer to a quiet Simulcast cell and that is the one that the scanner keeps stopping on.

chris

leadjammer

From Hamden, you probably cannot easily pick up the simulcast for Troop H which uses a Control Channel on 774.53125. The sites are Windsor Locks (BDL), Bloomfield (Talcott Mtn), Bristol (South Mtn), and Rocky Hill (VA). If you cannot hear the traffic on the H Simulcast, you are at the mercy of having radios on the Troop H talkgroup affiliate with other sites.
Also, if you have all the CLMRN control channel frequencies programmed in as one site, the scanners will pick the first one in the bunch it hears with a decent signal and monitor that one. It may be a real issue if you are nearer to a quiet Simulcast cell and that is the one that the scanner keeps stopping on.

chris
Thanks for that info. My question is..are these the same sites as with the old system? If the answer is yes then why can't I get the new system when the old system came in loud and clear.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if it was used but Wolcott was licensed for the old Troop H 853.2625 simulcast.

chris

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that info. My question is..are these the same sites as with the old system? If the answer is yes then why can't I get the new system when the old system came in loud and clear.

I don't know, I'm just guessing that they did build some kind of new infrastructure and they are still in the process of actively building it, perhaps they have not repurposed the old frequencies yet.

I also can't figure out why even though I am using freescan which pulls from the radio reference database and has all of the latest channels that were loaded as people have been submitting them I am not hearing anything on my BCD 325 P2. When I get some time this week I'm going to have to sit down and see if I can figure out how to manually enter control channels since that is what needed to happen with the SDS 100.

mkt853

They may be using lower power and directional antennas that focus the signal over the area it's needed, which means the only reliable way to monitor it is to live within its footprint. H was pretty active on other zones up until last week, so maybe some adjustments were made so that radios no longer had to affiliate as often outside of their home zone.

gofasters4

Looking at site F monitoring logs for the past week..there was H activity until the morning of 6/18. After that, all radio affiliation requests to TG 351 (H Disp 1) are Denied. Perhaps the disappearance of H activity on F's site is an administrative decision rather than technical/architectural.

Cheeseburgers

I hear a lot of C on the H Simulcast which is interesting. But that was the case with the old system. As the days progress I seem to be hearing about the same I think. And I am in Bristol so when I aim my antenna toward Lake Compounce.... sure enough I hear more. Thanks for H info

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Just picked up activity on TG 3039 on the Troop G simulcast site. Couldn't catch who was the user, sounded they were running a name.