cg

Premium Subscriber
Satellite uplink/downlink. For establishing communications after an event that damages microwave/fiber/towers/etc.
The microwave system is much more robust than it was years ago but imagine an ice storm like the one that hit Canada and northern New England 20 years ago. Some places had over 5" of freezing rain. 1000 electrical transmission towers, 30,000 telephone poles, 75,000 miles of wires and millions of trees knocked down in Canada, in an area bigger but much less populated than Southern New England. Satellite and shortwave would be it for quite a while.

chris

scanner1

Satellite uplink, like sat phone for comms?? I always figured it would be parked on a hill and used to link to another microwave site (line of sight) to fill in during an emergency. Not sure what other satellite services are available.

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
I would imagine high bandwidth for data, voice, video. Uncle Sam has lots of satellites. DEMHS and DPH use sat links as well, CTS is not supposed to be just CSP despite the lettering on the side of the truck.

chris

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any insight into how well a BCD325P2 or HomePatrol II will work with the new system(s) ?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I have a 325P2. It works great on CSP system and Phase II. It's handheld.

325P2

I also have a 325P2. I have not updated the database in quite some time though. I guess I should stop being lazy and do that soon since all of this rebranding seems to be occurring.

The 325P2 works better than the HPII sadly. But the HPII has recording capability.

Still up in the air if I want to risk another SDS100. In keeping on topic with the original post of this thread, do you have an SDS100 and if so does it track the CSP new and rebanded frequencies well?

cg

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding was done long ago in 2011. This is simply a new system with many new frequencies.
It is simulcast so if you are in an area where you can receive two towers on the same Cell, you could experience issues distortion. If that turns out to be the case, the latest scanners might be needed. However, I have used the 325 for several years and it is perfect for my needs except in Troop H. I currently get terrible distortion from Troop H 800 (ever since the rebanding). They never synced them up for perfect reception.

chris

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Rebanding was done long ago in 2011. This is simply a new system with many new frequencies.
It is simulcast so if you are in an area where you can receive two towers on the same Cell, you could experience issues distortion. If that turns out to be the case, the latest scanners might be needed. However, I have used the 325 for several years and it is perfect for my needs except in Troop H. I currently get terrible distortion from Troop H 800 (ever since the rebanding). They never synced them up for perfect reception.

chris

So as long as I update it soon I should be fine.

Thanks for your reply.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Nbc news just ran a story tonight on the 11pm news on the system and they said coventry, stonington, groton and norwich will go to that system

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
The database is sating it will be phase 1 but people on here saying phase 2 which means m uniden 396 xts wont pick them up

Statewide
System Type:Project 25 Phase I
System Voice:APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

cg

Premium Subscriber
Phase 2 is already in use on Troop G's cell. I caught a bus private call during a brief bit of monitoring. I didn't see any of the CSP stuff on the P2 then. There are some TGs used for testing that have been active as well over the last couple years.

chris

Bob1955

They are getting radio shack radios
toy, All of there people act like a bunch of "cry babies". This encryption will be the future, what can I say! My son is a LEO in GA and his City is Phase 1 digital. He uses his GPS walkie Talkie and the car radio for car to car.