CSP Radio Change Over Timeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I am reading Departments with Resident State Troopers will need to buy in to a new mobile system within the next year.

Last I heard the CSP was staying on the same system they are on until at least 2020, because of the costs of expanding the CSERN system which has massive dead stops ... like 90% of New London County and much of the Northwest.

Last edited:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
That sounds about right since norwich pd has a hard time with dead spots on their own town

sefrischling

I thought the timeline sounded about right, but some towns with resident troopers are being told they need to buy into the new system within the next year. That makes no sense as they won't be on the system for 3-4 years, at which time some of them may be already off the resident trooper program.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I know there Re a few towns up in my way such as prospect and woodbury that have resident troopers and i believe are on the CSP system. It will cost alot of money to upgrade and the state is broke thanks to our awesome governor

cg

Premium Subscriber
They are really the same system. Right now they are separate parts but the newer radios can roam onto the 700MHz just like it is another Zone. Since most of the 700MHz sites are co-located with the 800MHz sites, there is not much use on the 700MHz with CSP.
At some point however, the 700MHz will fully merge with the 800MHz and you could see conversations hopping between both sets of frequencies.
For example, if Troop H area 800MHz uses the 7 frequencies on Site 9 and the 5 frequencies on 700MHZ Site 28 in a single site it could be 15 frequencies with 1 control channel. Throw Phase 2 into the mix and you could see 1 control channel and 29 voice paths. Of course you might see CONNDOT, military, local DEMHS, local services, etc.

sefrischling

CG,

Towns on the Resident Trooper program are being told it is a minimum $150,000 buy in to the new radio system within the next year.

cg

Premium Subscriber
It would be interesting to see that letter. Colchester, for example, has budgeted appx $4000 for each of the 5 radios they are replacing this year. No mention in the budget of a base cost of $150,000.

I would think the overall cost would depend how many constables and vehicles they have. The resident troopers have the equipment already and the cost to the towns should include vehicle, and equipment.

The resident trooper program used to be a deal for the smaller towns. Now they are paying close to 100% of the full costs. Some towns are dumping them, some going to their own PDs and some sharing a single resident Trooper.

chris

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The state is probably looking to the locals to help pay for further buildout. Right now I see no reason to, their system isn't anywhere overloaded. It may be Mother M trying to push the state to move faster than it really needs to. M tried to bully us into purchasing new radios on the CSP system by a certain date. We old them no and we were going to go Harris, that shocked them and they waited until WE were ready for the radios.

I wonder what you get for $150K, maybe a site in your town that CSP can tie into? That's how we ended up on the CSP system. We bought the site, M put them in and we now get roaming rights on CSP.

sefrischling

It would be interesting to see that letter. Colchester, for example, has budgeted appx $4000 for each of the 5 radios they are replacing this year. No mention in the budget of a base cost of $150,000.

This town has 22 officers (Patrol, Det, Sgt) at this time, with I believe 16 vehicles, as well as it's own dispatch. Presently dispatch cannot transmit on the CSP system, which makes no sense. Cops have Town and State radios in the cruiser and portables for town and state. Some cops take a town portable out when out of the cruiser, others take the state portable. CSP dispatch is always at least a minute, if not longer, behind town dispatch. Makes no sense.

But either way, the pressure to buy in to the new system now seems odd with CSP not changing over, from what I had last heard from CT DEMHS, until at least 2020. Why

This may end up forcing some resident trooper towns off the system faster than they intended.

cg

Premium Subscriber
38 radios at appx $3850.00 each is $146,300 so I would say it is a hardware cost and not a fee of any sort.
Many large systems run a subscription type fee where the users pay monthly for each authorized radio on the system. But ultimately, someone still has to pay for the hardware.
I think the entire system may not be done until 2020 but if a purchase has to span two budget years like Colchester's budget documents show, that brings it up to 2019 (FY2017-2018 & FY2018-2019)
2020 will be here before you know it.

chris

digitalBill

That's how we ended up on the CSP system. We bought the site, M put them in and we now get roaming rights on CSP.[/QUOTE]

who exactly is "we"?

cg

Premium Subscriber
There are municipalities that are using the CT P25 Network Switch (I believe this is the single most expensive part of the P25 TRS). There are some rules that they have to follow but the savings may well be worth it. New Britain was on the system for a while while transitioning to their P25 system, and may still use the rekeying (not sure).
The existing system does get busy signals occasionally and would benefit from more capacity. When there are users that are normally quiet start activity, it does get quite busy. I would expect if Matthew hits, it will be a very busy time.

chris

New Radios

I would think the overall cost would depend how many constables and vehicles they have. The resident troopers have the equipment already and the cost to the towns should include vehicle, and equipment.

chris

Chris,

I notice they have been swapping out radios. The new radios sound much clearer and louder and have UID's that are 4-digits (instead of 5)

Do you have any info on the new radios?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
How many radios, and how busy are they, are they going to be geo locked to local sites only? Has anyone done a system loading study, I'm sure CSP has and knows, but would not release that info. Lots of questions the agencies themselves should be asking for their $150K. Also with any new radio going on the system will be 700/800 and as I understand the system it has duplicated 700/800 freqs at each site. Which in my opinion is plenty. I monitor all the time and have heard very few busy tones.

I have to also believe that M is trying to lock in as many users to M products as it can on the system before it goes from Type II to pure P-25, when any brand radio will work. Not just a $4k APX.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Lots of new radios coming online with a bunch still to replace. Lots of site work still to go. You will only see RIDs lower than 65534 on the existing 800MHz system as that is the system capacity. The 700MHz system is full P25 and as such has the capacity of over 16,700,000 IDs and more than 65000 talkgroups. You may see 7 digit RIDs there.

chris

cg

Premium Subscriber
The system busies can occur for several reasons. A site has every voice path in use or a separate site has every voice path in use and user tries to talk on a TG that has affiliated users at that busy site.
Site 6 has had 10 in the last 4.5 days. Bad weather at shift change during the week will load the system quite a bit. If it weren't for the use of MDTs, there would be more.

chris

APX7500X2

I am reading Departments with Resident State Troopers will need to buy in to a new mobile system within the next year.

Last I heard the CSP was staying on the same system they are on until at least 2020, because of the costs of expanding the CSERN system which has massive dead stops ... like 90% of New London County and much of the Northwest.

Mid 2018 will be the change over to TDMA (Entire system 700&800)

Troop I & Troop H TDMA systems are up and running as everyone who listed to the recorded voice for days knows, That was testing by Motorola for coverage. Expect more areas to be testing soon.
All the equipment for this upgrade was purchased over 4 years ago and delivered to the state not to long after, the money is from 6 years ago, so current money issues don't affect it

sefrischling

Mid 2018 will be the change over to TDMA (Entire system 700&800)

Interesting , as the folks from DEMHS Region 4 just confirmed they believed the change over wouldn't be until 2020 due to both testing and acquisition of portable and mobile radios for all users.

APX7500X2

Interesting , as the folks from DEMHS Region 4 just confirmed they believed the change over wouldn't be until 2020 due to both testing and acquisition of portable and mobile radios for all users.

portables and mobiles have been here for 4 years also. Bought with same money

Status
Not open for further replies.