Current AM/FM Portables

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to add a decent, basic AM/FM portable to a few rooms around the house...something like those Superadios of yore. I'd like to keep it under $100.

Any opinions on these current offerings?

Sangean PRD5
CCRadio-EP
RCA RP7887

Thanks!

a29zuk

If you are interested in good AM reception the Sangean PR-D5 has an extra long ferrite rod and also offers FM. It is offered for $79.95 at Universal Radio.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
... this guy seems to have some great portables with killer AM reception and FM ability...
C. Crane Company - Toll Free (800) 522-8863

Yes, and they offer one of the models I'm looking at closely - their new CCRadio-EP. Their CCRadio is a bit pricier than I want to spend - and having shortwave tacked on isn't really necessary right now.

It's gotten praise for its reception but some reviews have mentioned noisy power supplies and reduced sensitivity in some batches.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
I like the RCA; this Sony is also pretty good, at about half the cost and half the size:
Amazon.com: Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black): Electronics

I've got a Superadio III - and I thought the RCA was essentially a 'follow-up' clone of the SR3, and some reviews have echoed that. However some people have claimed that the RCA has different circuitry and much worse performance. Do you know which happens to be true? I'm happy with my SR3 and wouldn't mind buying the RCA if they're similar.

As far as the Sony ICF38, I've got one and I agree - it's a terrific little radio. The only drawback for me is the selectivity is just a wee bit wide on a couple of strong locals -- otherwise I love everything about it. I was just looking for something slightly closer to the performance of my old Superadios.

Thanks!

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
If you are interested in good AM reception the Sangean PR-D5 has an extra long ferrite rod and also offers FM.

AM performance is THE prime consideration and the PR-D5 is supposed to be one of the best. I'm definitely considering it. The 200mm rod matches what the SR's had I believe, so hopefully it hears just as well.

BrigPilgrim

Yes, and they offer one of the models I'm looking at closely - their new CCRadio-EP. Their CCRadio is a bit pricier than I want to spend - and having shortwave tacked on isn't really necessary right now.

It's gotten praise for its reception but some reviews have mentioned noisy power supplies and reduced sensitivity in some batches.

I have owned a CC Radio SW for over a year. I have over a dozen other AM capable radios and this one is my favorite. Mainly for the sound quality. The sound is comparable to some of my tube radios but the sensitivity in tuning on both AM and SW on the radios antenna made this radio my table top radio. I wish the controls were laid out better and easier to see, the radio manufactures haven't figured out that the radio fans are getting older and need easier to see controls, but they have the sound quality done right. They are priced a bit high for a modified Chinese radio, but I think it is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.