cw decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone of any type of computer program that will decode cw through a laptop.And I have already tried the MFJ 461,......not impressed at all.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
There are Android/iOS programs for phones & tablets. You hold the microphone near the speaker and it will decode for you... Here's one: --> https://itunes.apple.com/app/morse-pad/id385629886?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

I've never used Black Cat's Morse decoder, (Don't need it :) ) but I have used their SSTV decoder... That one works well. (I've managed to decode SSTV images on my iPad while driving in the car).

Note that all the CW decoders I've looked at only work well with machine generated CW or when decoding people with a good fist. Sloppy CW is usually a problem for computer decoders.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, jwt is spot on with his comment about how computers have a hard time with CW. Different fists, even bad band conditions, will defeat most PC programs...and there are a LOT of such programs out there, and here are just a few (with the exception of CWGet, the links for all of these are found in the link in my sig)

CWGet
MixW
MultiPSK
RadioCom6
RadioJet Decoder
Sigmira
Skysweeper

Your ear is always better at this than most programs. Of course I'm omitting the multi kilobuck stuff such as Hoka, Wavecom, Krypto, ect.

Mike

majoco

Stirrer
IMHO your best bet is to learn morse code! It's not rocket science, all you need is a bit of perseverance. There's plenty of programs out there to help you, but learn to receive long before you touch a key. I learnt way back in the early 60's and it like riding a bike, you never forget!

....and the Mk1 ear is a far better decoder than all those fancy software programs that lose the plot when the signal fades below S9!

Status
Not open for further replies.