Dane County Sheriff vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglaz

Most of the marked Dane County Sheriff vehicles are bronzish/goldish color crown vics. I saw a crown vic today, with what appeared to be the same decaling, that was a silver color. Does anyone know if they're possibly changing to a new color?

Also does anyone know what's up with the yellow/black chevron type decals they have on their rear bumpers? I'm not saying they're not effective, but I've never seen them on a vehicle before. There must be some sort of history behind why they started using them.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what the technical term is, but it is a "rear-ender avoider". These are showing up more and more on emergency vehicles. Our fire department recently got two new apparatus and had similar chevrons placed on the rear.

Supposedly a lot of research has gone into these chevron markings and it is effective.

akuter

Premium Subscriber
Moved here about a year and a half ago from the Dells area, and our Montana new Hwy Patrol vehicals have them also. Wish I was in Wis to see the new WSP rovers.

biglaz

Wow...lots of lurkers tonight :) I wasn't saying I've never seen the chevron logo before as used to make the vehicle visible, etc... I have always seen them panted on fire apparatus. This is the first I've seen them on a PD vehicle... I'm just surprised they're not more wide-spread. How much could it cost for a yellow and black vinyl sticker?

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Hey, gang - just an observation...

We saw several State cruiser Crown Vic's this weekend with the CHROME GRILL...

StateBoy - are they buying these deliberately or did someone mess up on the order?

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Rear bumper

We were told from managment that there are certain standards that all squad cars in the future need for striping and lights. I was told that there is some kind of standard that will need to be met in the future.

As of now, I know that State Patrol, Capitol, Sun Prairie and Dane CO all went to striped bumpers. I'm sure there is more in the area.

Last edited:

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Stripes

I know this isn't a great photo, but this is a Capitol squad from this past spring.

Attachments

• cpd105.JPG
    cpd105.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,182

biglaz

Well I've lived in the county a little over a year and I don't think I've ever seen a Capitol PD vehicle. Thanks for the pic!

By the username I'm thinking you're a Capitol PD officer?

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I'm a police officer for Capitol PD in Madison.

I think UWPD was going to those bumpers also. I'm sure you've seen their squads around.

Capitol changed their cars this past spring to this design. I personally like the older version of the car better. I think these are too plain and too much like the WSP design. Then again our chief was 30 something years with WSP so that may have a lot to do with it.

This pic is of the old paint sceme. I think this was taken a couple years ago so it's not the newest vics. Not that there is much of a difference.

Attachments

• fetch.jpeg
    fetch.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 655

hoser147

Our city govt used to make us remove wheel covers due to the pubic thinking that thier tax dollars were used unwisely now they all have at least hub caps lol But it was that way now days they buy vehicles thru state or fed. pools and thats the way they come.....hoser147

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Impala

We also had an Impala for a while last year.

Attachments

• 104.JPG
    104.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 1,006

dcg729

Couple of thoughts from a Crown Vic owner and fan

the different grills can be ordered as street appearance version p-71, the reg one will have the black grill and the cars intended for undercover and detective work will come from the factory with the chrome grill, they are the same drive trains, with the possible exception that the street appearance can also have carpeted floors ,as to the color mentioned by OP, it is called Arizona Beige and its very popular here in KY for the Sheriffs cars.

biglaz

I like the older design as well. What's up with the civilian plates on the Impala? Either way, it looks good. Thanks for all the info.

bcast

There is one Dane Co. silver crown vic I've seen that is a K9 car with rear & rear side dark tint for the pup & dog decals on the rear pillars. My guess is the Dane Co. K9 squads are personally assigned, makes sense for the special equipment that might be needed for the K9 partner.

Here's a link to the Dane Co. Sheriff K9 Unit:

http://www.danesheriff.com/k9.htm

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
RevGary said:
Hey, gang - just an observation...

We saw several State cruiser Crown Vic's this weekend with the CHROME GRILL...

StateBoy - are they buying these deliberately or did someone mess up on the order?

If you saw an un-marked CVPI with a chrome grille, it's ordered that way with the "Street Appearance Package" as mentioned above. Why we are spending the money on that package is beyond me, since there are at least 7 antennas (5 RF/2 GPS) on every WSP enforcement-class sedan and very visible LED lightheads front and rear on the un-marked cruisers.

If it was a marked CVPI with a chrome grille, it's an ancient car...2000 or older. We still have a few kicking around, but not many.

As for the "school bus" stripe on the rear bumper, someone decided that our cars needed them to help prevent rearend crashes. This was based on an AZ DPS study that showed fewer crashes because of them. Most Troopers were good with that logic, but the part that baffled everyone was the use of yellow/black stripes on a blue car with white graphics. We should have used blue/white like AZ DPS does.

Our rearend:
2005cleantoprear-edit.jpg

AZ DPS rearend:
AZDPSforRRdC.jpg

Last edited:

OpSec

Database Admin
cpd38 said:
I know this isn't a great photo, but this is a Capitol squad from this past spring.

[THREAD HIJACK]

CPD, I don't blame you...your old design was better. A plain stripe is boring, and quite frankly it's getting long in the tooth for state vehicles.

I prefer the old WSP two-tone cars:

80sLTD2.jpg

80sDodge2.jpg

And as long as we are having a mini history lesson, here are two pics of why it was a bad idea to try and run from us on the interstate. Shown in the first pic is a 1988 Mustang SSP and in the second pic is a pair of fixed-wing Cessna aircraft and 1992 Camaro B4C crusier. I'm not sure what the max airspeed of the planes were, but the ground speed of the B4C was 150 mph...not much these days, but this was 14 years ago when WSP still flew alot of aircraft details, and had pursuit cars like the B4C and SSP Mustang.

1988MustangSSPfront.jpg

1992Camaroandplanes.jpg

Like all good things, the fast cars came to an end due to buget constraints and we don't fly the planes a whole lot anymore. Maybe someday...

[/HIJACK]

Last edited:

biglaz

Stateboy, that must be you in the top pic? :D

Personally I like the yellow/black decal, it seems to be more visible. Blue on blue wouldn't be very noticeable.

OpSec

Database Admin
biglaz said:
Stateboy, that must be you in the top pic? :D

No, I was motoring around on a tricycle when that pic was taken.

biglaz said:
Personally I like the yellow/black decal, it seems to be more visible. Blue on blue wouldn't be very noticeable.

Keep in mind that those stripes are made from 3M Scotchlite reflective material. The desired effect was visibility at night, so the blue would actually show up quite well. I'm not a decision maker, so it really doesn't matter :)

bcast

Recently took a quick photo of the silver Dane Co K9 squad:

Attachments

• Dane Co K9 squad.jpg
    Dane Co K9 squad.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,670

red8

That state cruiser that ya'll had in one of them pictures up there, looks llike he has got enough antennas to pick up Baghdad! however
that bumper stripe job on those cars looked pretty sharp. Since you
are up there in snow country it would be to be seen at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.