DaneCom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Danecom is indeed a Phase II system, I am seeing some patch traffic and some testing talkgroups being used a Phase II. A non-phase II scanner will still work on the system to listen to everything that is not being pushed as phase II . The Control channel will always be phase I.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the phase II channels you can see the number of hits on each channel and the Madison Fire is being pushed out as Phase II when I took the capture.

Attachments

• DaneCom PII.JPG
    DaneCom PII.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,051
  • DaneCom PII-Channels.JPG
    DaneCom PII-Channels.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 1,049

nickspwi

Danecom and pro96

Does anyone know if danecom come will work on a pro 96?
I programmed but seems like it gets stuck on control channel with static a lot and when it does work I am receiving all talk groups even with it on closed

JohnStreet

I don't think a Pro 96 would receive phase 2, I had a pro-96 and got rid of it for that reason. I am trying to use a HomePatrol 2 by Uniden but am having no success with Dane County Sheriff Dispatch transmissions. Is anyone else using a HomePatrol 2 scanner for this purpose? Anyone getting any transmissions to come through? Thanks in advance

W9WTC

Premium Subscriber
I don't think a Pro 96 would receive phase 2, I had a pro-96 and got rid of it for that reason. I am trying to use a HomePatrol 2 by Uniden but am having no success with Dane County Sheriff Dispatch transmissions. Is anyone else using a HomePatrol 2 scanner for this purpose? Anyone getting any transmissions to come through? Thanks in advance

I know a friend had purchased a HomePartol 2 and he got really frustrated that it wouldn't receive any of the new DaneCom so he shipped it back. I'm using a BCD996P2 and trying to isolate an antenna to a single tower to get it to work with simulcast. Frustrating but that's what retirement is for. Hope this helps.

JohnStreet

Thanks for your reply! I am retired too! At the ripe old age of 29... lol. Has your friend with the Homepatrol 2 tried that trick where you isolate one antenna with a Yagi antenna? Also, I noticed on another thread that you expressed interest in some kind of "commercial" scanner that can do simulcast well, any luck with a model number? I literally got my home patrol in the mail today and started using it but then ran into one brick wall after another, so I went online and joined this cool forum.

JohnStreet

HomePatrol 2 update - it DOES work with this new "DaneCom" system for me... just not very well or very reliably. For example in Sun Prairie near Costco and Woodmans I can hear DaneCom tranmissions no problem but in my home in DeForest I need to have radio sitting in a special area and in a special way in order for it to work. Also the antenna needs to be in a certain position. I think this is because this blocks out the signals from the other towers and the radio must get the signal of only 1 tower thus no simulcast interference. Though I would be very interested in a unification device so I can travel and still hear DaneCom if any knows of something like this please let me know.

bcast

A possible Town of Madison talkgroup not in RR database:

Yesterday using Unication G5 in "monitor" on DaneCom TRS, I heard some traffic come up on talkgroup 13470.

Today after programming in 13470 as a talkgroup, I heard radio ID 1356600 make a few test transmissions. Per "State of WI P25 Unit ID Plan", this could be a Town of Madison Fire radio.

bcast

A possible change to the RR database:

This morning DaneCom found using 154.9725 MHz as a control channel.

Citywide6

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting that frequency. I couldn't figure out why my Unication G5 wasn't receiving a signal at all today. Adding that frequency as a control channel brought it back to life.

gootch

BCD996T?

Hello

I want to post this to double check the status of my BCD996t. From my reading I dont think it will work for danecom lacks phase2 support. Is that right? I think a BCD996P2 would work for Danecom. Is there any benefit to a BCD536HP vs BCD996P2 as it applies to Danecom.

Thanks for the help Andy

K9OA

I too, just purchased a HomePatrol 2 for the express purpose of monitoring DaneCom. At first I thought it wasn't working at all but I have been able to receive talk group IDs and little snatches of garbled audio. I'm right on the Isthmus in Madison, so I would expect the signal to be excellent. I noticed that on the Live Audio feeds of DaneCom, that their reception is not much better. There is a note about the new control frequency that was added on Jan. 5 and how it is "very difficult to decode." Anyone have a sense of whether or not this will get better or should I just return the HomePatrol 2?

Thanks,

Clark

Gasman315

Premium Subscriber
We were visiting Sauk City over the weekend and picked pick Dane Com on my Whistler 1080 with the stock antennae. Reception was great . Heading toward Madison not so much.

K9OA

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reply. Now that I understand that the problem is simulcast distortion, I think I can deal with it. This afternoon I experimented with a directional antenna (a log periodic made for TV reception) and I was able to receive DaneCom fairly well. Of course, I'd like to be able to use it as a portable, with a set-mounted antenna but I guess that 'aint gonna happen. I am able to receive WISCOM just fine with the stock antenna.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Madison eventually switches to P25.

-Clark

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth...

Those who are having simulcast distortion issues and want to monitor Dane County sheriff, you can so do by monitoring the Wiscom Blue Mounds site.

I don't know if that's a permanent talk group push or just on demand, but the past several days it has been pushed to that site.

It's been rather handy !

K9OA

Thanks for the tip. I am bit far from the Blue Mounds site, but I'm copying Dane Co sheriff Dispatch just fine on WISCOM via the Madison 800 site with just the stock antenna.

-Clark

JohnStreet

I am pretty far from Blue Mound too (DeForest) but I think the overall trick is to isolate just one simulcast antenna to prevent distortion, I think, I could be totally off on this but after reading each page I think that's the key to getting a homepatrol 2 or any scanner for that matter to work with simulcast. And as mentioned before if anyone has any info on a "unification device" or something that will make simulcast work while "on the go" I would be very interested, no matter the price tag.

easton19

DANCOM Issues

Trying to get P25 transmissions on WISCOM with no success. Have tried each individual towers with no transimissions being received. Live on East side of Madison. Help Appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
E19

KC9UNK

Wiscom

Trying to get P25 transmissions on WISCOM with no success. Have tried each individual towers with no transimissions being received. Live on East side of Madison. Help Appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
E19
First major question would be is, what kind of radio are you trying to accomplish this with? What are you wanting to hear and what talkgroups are you listening in on? Cause just because a Dept has a talkgroup assigned doesn't mean they use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.